Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was extremely excited and determined when I decided to have this surgery. I knew 100% this is what I wanted and was going to do no matter what. As my surgery date gets closer (September 20th), I seem to be having second thoughts. I keep going back and forth in my mind if this is what's right for me. Has anyone else been experiencing this? If so, what gets you through?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

"I seem to be having second thoughts. I keep going back and forth in my mind if this is what's right for me. Has anyone else been experiencing this? If so, what gets you through?"

You're certainly not alone there. It's been a while and I don't remember if I thought "Is this right for me?" Along the way, from the beginning of considering surgery, though, I didn't even know how to think about it. I ended up doing what I thought of as tiptoeing into the OR. Each step of the way, starting with the info seminar, I'd say to myself, "Do this just to see what it's like. Then you don't have to do anything else." The same applied to the initial appointment at the surgery practice and most of the way to the OR. I say "most of the way" because among the very last steps were endoscopy and colonoscopy (required for me, maybe because my age). When I chose to make appts for the tests, I knew I was serious. No one goes through colonoscopy "just to see what it's like."

My experience isn't exactly what you're asking, I think. The best thing I can suggest is that you take a pen and pad and write out in narrow, specific terms what it means to be "right for me" and "not right for me." Make the questions to yourself narrow and specific. "Is this right for me?" is too wide open to grasp firmly.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I feel you. I'm three months out from finishing my program (1/2 way there!) with Kaiser, and every day I ask myself if this is the right way to go about it, especially since I'm taking off quite a bit of weight preop. ... Losing weight is the crux of most of our lives though. The reality of the surgery is that the only thing you're going to get out of it as a tool is Portion Control. It doesn't make you happier, find a mate, etc. etc., and if you approach it realistically? It is an easier way to look at things, I think.

Every time I have a doubt, I look at how much healthy stuff I have to eat as the physiology of my body is literally trying to keep the over production of fat cells inflated. In order to be successful at this point, I need the surgery as a tool to help portion control.

I'm saying this now, but tomorrow I'll probably be thinking about the titanium staples they leave in your body forever again HA!

You got this. Just ... pray/meditate/talk it out, and you will make the right choice for you, no matter what.

Edited by fatgirlsvelte

I am at the same point. When the surgery was out of the question due to lack of Insurance support and self funding limitations, I was" gung ho"with the idea of weight loss surgery,five years ago. Now that the tide has turned and baritricic

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I feel that the Portion Control is really what I need. When I tell my family "I'm not sure I want to do this" their response is "Well what are you going to do then because you can't keep going the way you are." When I tell them I'll eat better of course they say, "but will you really do that?" The truth to that is I don't know.

I have chose this option (surgery) because I feel I need that extra tool and push. I'm just starting to get scared about life after surgery and what that looks like.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. It really helps knowing other people do have the same thoughts.

@@saramichelle917, something about the way you phrased that makes me think you have little history with losing/regaining/losing/regaining/on and on and on. Is that accurate?

Losing weight with surgery is a matter of Portion Control, wise food choices and meal-planning. True, the surgical procedure is a great aid, but that's what it is -- no magic involved. It is possible to lose after surgery and, uh-oh, gain it back.

What are you fantasizing or imagining life after surgery "looks like?" How unpretty is it?

I have struggled with this a lot, and have done exactly what @@WLSResources/ClothingExch mentioned above - each step has been "I'll just go to this and check it out, then we'll see....". Things got even more murky in my mind when I got my surgery date (10/5) - things started to feel so real. I spent several days agonizing over every aspect, but then all of the sudden one morning I woke up feeling sure. I think it's totally normal to have second thoughts about sure a huge decision!

I know How u feel. Im having anxiety and I cant sleep thinking about it. Mine Is This friday september 16th. On The Other hand I feel if I dont do This The consequences will be worst cause I cant do it on my own.

I actually have a lot of history with loading and regaining weight or I wouldn't be having this procedure. I also never lose much due to other health issues. I'm very well educated on this procedure and I'm well aware there is no magic to this.

I think that if you're having second thoughts, maybe you need to take a step back before going through something like this. You've educated yourself on it, so you know how serious it is, and there's no going back. It's a major life overhaul and you deserve to be sure that this is what you want for yourself

Sent from my SM-N920I using the BariatricPal App

I'm feeling the same way! I'm waiting to be submitted to insurance I've completed all my requirements, now I'm nervous! I'm scared the insurance won't approve of me and my negative thoughts I think are trying to prepare me for the worst. So if insurance says no I can be like "well I wasn't 100 percent sure this was for me anyway"

Best luck to you!!

I had 2nd thoughts big time. I had huge concerns with loosing my love of food. And lots of it. But I have not regretted the surgery one time. 200 lbs and one year later I'm stoked to have had it. Now I'm on the verge if getting a new job and making a huge life chang And now I'm having seconed thoughts about pulling the trigger. Life is full of hurdles and now I'm skinny enough to jump them! Good Luck, and enjoy the new you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I am a week away and I totally understand where you are coming from. It's a lot of money and a lot of time and no one should ever not be nervous about major surgery. It's all about if your motivations or reasons for having the surgery outweigh (no pun intended) the doubts and anxieties. Only you will truly know that.