Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just being nosey

@

Did you have any hair loss?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi @@jenrae1

No, no Hair loss for me, at least not so far.

If anything, my hair got healthier and grows really quickly now.

@

Did you have any hair loss?

Hi @@jenrae1

No, no Hair loss for me, at least not so far.

If anything, my hair got healthier and grows really quickly now.

@

I hope that's how it is for me too.

@@Dub

Wow! Amazing transformation! This gives me hope.

I am at the moment frustrated. I finished all the necessary tests, nutrition, counseling, etc., required by my surgeon and started on the CPAP. I was about two months out from surgery. Then my surgeon had a falling out with the hospital admin and quit. There is another good surgeon about two hours away and I've called for an appointment. I won't be able to talk to their program coordinator until October 6 (about a month from now). Fortunately, they will accept all my diagnostics, but I will probably have to go through their pre-op program all over again since their nutritional requirements differ.

The first hospital (in a town about 30 miles from me) kicked me out of their program because they said they would be holding me back since whatever surgeon I transfer to will have their own requirements. So, no support to continue with the weight loss I've begun pre-surgery.

In the meantime, in order to not lose momentum, I've gone back to the nutritional counselor I was seeing prior to entering the bariatric surgery program. At least I won't be on my own till I can switch surgeons. I will also be allowed to join the hospital gym and pool in my hometown where I completed Physical Therapy for a torn meniscus, but not until the orthopedic surgeon signs my application. Which hopefully will be tomorrow. Then at least I can continue the Water walking and jogging that have helped facilitate the small amount of weight I've lost so far.

I guess this is the down side of living in an extremely rural state. It had been looking as though I would be scheduled for October but now I guess I will be lucky if I can do it in December.

The worst part about it for me, is I wish the first hospital would have at least allowed me to remain in their program until I found a new surgeon as the support and constant review of my food and movement diaries was helpful. I am also frustrated because the only way I can get my medical records transferred to the new program is if the doctor requests them, and they say that it is my responsibility to bring them. I really have no desire to repeat an upper endoscopy, two sleep studies, six weeks of physical therapy, a complete psychological assessment and months of nutritional counseling!!! I am just hoping that once I can speak to the nurse program coordinator at the new hospital, she will be willing to actually request the medical records so I don't have to pay the first hospital hundreds of dollars just to print them.

I guess I'm just bitching, which never solves anything.

Your story is awesome and makes me happy just to read.

@@jenrae1

So do I wish for you that your hair stays healthy.

I also have thyroid disease that can also contribute to hair-loss, but so far so good with both WLS and my thyroid condition.

I diligently followed my post op instructions, took all the recommended Vitamins and followed my food plan, which is high Protein, low carb and lots of Water.

I still take my Vitamins and eat healthy with lots of Protein, and drink plenty of Water.

Good luck to you!

This is a great thread! I suggest that everyone who is considering WLS read it.

And anyone else who is post op.

LipstickLady is a great success, and her thread says it all :)

You are FAR too kind.

6'4"

Starting weight July 2015 = 478 lbs

Weight on surgery day October 2015 = 423 lbs

Current weight in September 2016 = 290 lbs

Weight related injuries and co-morbitities were dragging me down. I was miserable. Hurting all the time and having to consult with circulatory surgeons, spine surgeon, knee surgeon and my pcp was very concerned with me. I was 47 years old and making it much into my 50's was looking more and more like a challenge that I'd lose.

One memory of those days occurred in June 2015. It sums up how things were for me post op....more accurately, it sums up where I was and where I was heading. It was not going well.

It was early in the morning and I was doing my best to get ready for a doctor's appointment. It was with a spine surgeon. I was in intense pain the likes of which I'd never experienced before or since (including post op pain from knee and hernia surgeries.....this back issue had me in the dirt).

Made it through a shower and mostly dressed. Simply could not get my socks and shoes on. Asked my wife for help doing this last thing before she drove me to the appointment.

She did so....but told me I needed to "man-up".

Those words cut through the pain. They cut through the haze of the double dose of pain meds and muscle relaxers I'd taken in preparation for making the 30 min drive to that appointment.

They pissed me off......not at her so much as at myself. I was mad for letting myself fall into such a rut. The back injury could have occurred if I'd been lighter.....but not so likely.

Turns out I was unable to get into her car....it was too low to the ground and I couldn't do it. I finally managed to get behind the wheel of my little pickup and drove myself to that appointment.....yelling out in pain at every railroad track or pothole. It was a morning full of suck. My little 4WD truck is a stick shift....no way she could've driven. I made it there and back....using crutches and cussing a lot.

Spine surgeon's advice that morning was to load me up with a battery of meds.....and get me to weight loss surgery. I didn't protest and a few months later I had my sleeve surgery. In many ways, I owe the spine doc tremendous gratitude. He did nothing other than review my x-rays and MRI and write some scripts......but his advice was spot on. Grateful I took it.

I went into a whole heap of detail with the above description of a single morning of my life........but it was how things were then. I missed 6 weeks of work for that back problem......and then 3 more weeks recovering from my sleeve & hernia surgery. This from a guy who's never hardly missed any work in 21 years with my employer.....only for surgery recoveries. Tough times.

I'll be much more brief in describing life since my sleeve surgery.

Let's just say that I seldom miss the opportunity to "man-up" now and I put my back into it.

I am almost 11 months out from surgery and a long way from where I want to be.....but I am enjoying the process and have learned a great deal about what makes me tick and what I want in life. More importantly....at 47 years old, I can now see having plenty of life left to live and enjoy.

This was pre-op me......taken the day before my October 2015 VSG & umbilical hernia repair....you can see the hernia looking like it's going to explode, lol. No wonder my back was messed up. I was 55 lbs lighter in this pic than I was at the beginning of my bariatric appointments in July 2015. So....this was the "new" slim and trim me, lol.

Old stretched out 6xl tee-shirt in the pic, too.

bNclJrH.png

37yU54j.png

Most recent pic I have....taken on September 1, 2016.....10.5 months out from sleeve surgery.

bu69KQ6.jpg?1

Here's a goofy couple pics........but the last full length pics I could find. I was trying on a brand new 2xl t-shirt.....over the top of the shift I was already wearing.

It fit.

mITWpd4.jpg?1

HaTcYQH.jpg?1

No more daily prescription meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, pain and etc.

There is no single aspect of life that's not been improved....some by a little.....some by a tremendous amount.

Approaching my 48th birthday but feeling more like I did at 28 and grateful for it.

carpe diem

Amazing!!!

Sent from my LGLS991 using the BariatricPal App

You are FAR too kind.

It's the truth! And you did really well, and look fantastic! Well done.

@@Dub already knows I think he's a hottie ;)

My mommy had passed away 3 years earlier from heart failure after a massive heart attack due to high blood pressure. Right before I'd decided to have surgery, my blood pressure had gotten as high as 157/98 and I was put on meds. My bIood sugar was also high, and I was subsequently put on meds for that. I was lamenting about how I had gotten to that point to my hubby (who had the bypass 8 years earlier and has been VERY successful with it) and he suggested having surgery. From there I didn't look back.

Now 90+ pounds lighter, off all meds, and have perfect blood pressure, labs, and resting heart rate. I can run 3 miles and climb 100 flights of stairs on the Stair Climber. At 49, I look and feel more like 39. I also know now if I stay the course and continue to eat healthy and move more, I at least have a fighting chance of living longer than either of my parents did.

post-212472-0-61508000-1473124307_thumb.jpg

post-212472-0-64555300-1473124349_thumb.jpg

@@Babbs

You are another great successful result! All that hard work paid off, and you lost half of you! Awesome!

You look fantastic, and yes, lot, lot younger and very pretty.

So, not only your appearance changed to gorgeous, you have great health benefits as well.

Congratulations!

So sorry to hear about your Mum. My late condolences to you.

I myself at 3 months post op had normal labs, no more fatty liver and no more pre-diabetic stage.

I too had high blood pressure, and mine was caused by my hyper-thyroid, and weight gain, plus racing resting heart rate.

My highest blood pressure was 170/99 I had to take Beta Blockers for few months.

Now my bp is back to normal. Both thyroid treatment and weight loss helped.

I am only 6 months post op, and I love hearing Vets stories.

Thank you for sharing your journey, Babbs

@@Babbs, @@LipstickLady @

What a bunch of inspiring stories! Thanks for the posts.

@@Hollyhock

Very welcome! Yes, it is wonderful to hear how people's lives change for the better.

I hope your new surgeon and hospital issues get sorted out soon for you.

I know how frustrating the waiting can be.

I myself had to wait 9 months .... Was going to be operated on in July last year, 2015.

At that time I was diagnosed with possibly life threatening thyroid disease, and my surgeon told me to come back when I am stabilised.

Well, it took 9 months for my thyroid to stabilise to finally have my surgery in March 2016.

Funny enough, these 9 months went really fast for me.

Good luck and best wishes to you!