Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please describe in detail how/when you make that last bite

I don't know if I'm overly cautious about eating. I've been on mushie/soft 11 days now. I have never thrown up. I may get mild hiccups or burp a little.

But when it comes to denser food, I just feel the need to not put that next bit of food in my mouth, or else. Is that the signal? its not a feeling of fullness, as much as it is in my chest/throat. I feel I'm not getting in the Protein from "food." Yes, I'm making it up in shakes/ Protein powder; but it seems others and easily eating 3 and 4 ounces each meal, which is my goal; but no way. Should I push myself even if my mind is telling me to stop?

What is the signal for you?

Take your time. Don't rush into things. Remember you are in for the long haul.

The three most important elements after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Your Protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein you obtain from food combined with the protein that you obtain from supplements such as Protein shakes. So just monitor your daily intake and if you come up short add another Protein shake to the mix.

I would say don't push yourself, take your time and listen to your body. At first the signal for me was in my chest and throat, but as time went by it changed. Now at almost 7 months out I have to be careful and measure my food because the signal isn't always there. It's no longer in my chest, more the upper abdominal area and it's more a tightness. Take it slow, start with less dense food like tuna. Most important is to chew your food really, really well...good luck to you!

Edited by Montana Gal

Yes listen to your body. Typically when I start to burp or hiccup, it's a signal for me that I'm either triggering a phrenic nerve due to filling, or I'm eating too fast ... so I just stop. For me there is no true feeling of fullness just either satiety or a sensation almost like an aura which is telling me to stop. Also I measure my food I know what I can handle and I don't try to do more than that. liquids are of course much easier so I do lots of smoothies and alternate with Protein shakes. Denser foods like meat I can only handle about 2 oz max. Anything more would have to be scheduled in as a snack.< /p>

I don't know if I'm overly cautious about eating. I've been on mushie/soft 11 days now. I have never thrown up. I may get mild hiccups or burp a little.

But when it comes to denser food, I just feel the need to not put that next bit of food in my mouth, or else. Is that the signal? its not a feeling of fullness, as much as it is in my chest/throat. I feel I'm not getting in the Protein from "food." Yes, I'm making it up in shakes/ Protein powder; but it seems others and easily eating 3 and 4 ounces each meal, which is my goal; but no way. Should I push myself even if my mind is telling me to stop?

What is the signal for you?

Nothing more to add, but just wanted to say, very good question.

Since I'm new, I pretty much only dole out 2 ounces thinking that is still below what is in my "handbook". But I rarely finish it. There isn't too much I'm enjoying to eat these days. So most everything I force myself to eat. I've decided I just can't force myself to eat greek yogurt or cottage cheese. It has always been disgusting to me. Oh wait, I do enjoy the Ricotta bake and I do enjoy my egg.

I'm going to go have my second shake now.

Yes....pay close attention to that feeling because it is definately too far.

I used to get a hicburp and then I knew I was at capacity.

I no longer get that but I get that terrible feeling in my chest and I know it is time to stop and in some cases...too far.

Most of the time that happens when I eat too fast and my brain has not yet figured out that I am full until it is too late. It is the one rule I have always struggled with.

@@LipstickLady

Exactly! What the heck is that but it certainly makes that uncomfortable feeling go away. LOL!

I just tell hubby I am excercising my turkey waddle!