Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret! Anyone? Missing real food!

It's probably not unlike being in a bad relationship/job/situation, that we keep clinging to because it's what we know, because sometimes even what you know is wrong/bad for you, is still easier to continue than the unknown. There is definately a LOT of mental work that needs to happen to be successful with WLS. Yes, you will be eating real food (which should be just that, REAL food) at some point in your recovery and beyond. I'm 10 weeks post op RNY, and discovering that while I didn't consider myself so much of a food addict prior to surgery, what it does force you to realize is the importance of food in our lives. We turn to food in celebration, misery, anxiousness, socialization, stress, tradition, etc. But the mental work of reestablishing and redefining how you use and view food, basically your relationship with it, must be done for the surgery to do what it is supposed to do for you. I recently explained to my husband it feels almost the equivalent of a breakup in a relationship, so be prepared for some feelings of sadness. But focus on the benefits of the new relationship you are beginning with food, and find new outlets for dealing with the above emotions and situations I mentioned, and you will find yourself in a new, wonderful life, far removed from the one you knew before surgery. None of it is easy, but one day at a time.

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

Just had my first meal of soft food. We went out for Mexican food and I had a small serving of refried Beans. Could only eat about 2 ounces. But it tasted so good.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

I had ny surgery on the 19th and I think because of watching the weight fall off I am OKAY with giving up things that made me empty in the end...

The 1st few days were the worst...You have got this, be strong...YOU are in Charge

Sharbear617 - I want to say thank you I am pre op and how you described it - as a way to look at this as a break up and a bad relationship - really changed my thinking and helped me out at the grocery store yesterday - I used to go what's one package of Reese Peanut Butter cups or a bag of chips no ones home no one will know - there's no one to give me grief - but thanks to your prospective in the store it was so much easier to ignore and walk right past and say your not going to drag me down any more instead I bought myself grapes as a treat and it was because of your advice thank you very much it is going to make my future so much easier and brighter

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am preop but have tried different Protein shakes in preparation - but I found animal based Proteins made me incredibly ill - I had to go to vegetarian or vegan Protein Shakes and powders - you may want to try those options - can't hurt anything

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I think animal based Protein Shakes are my problem too. Which vegan ones do you like?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

You'll be eating again... Don't worry too much. Try to be creative within your new eating. It will carry you.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Ladystorm you are so right! Getting creative with the Tomato Soup and some spices made a world of difference for me. I just can't do chicken/beef broths and everything else just tastes too sweet.

Edited by Shi-Shi80

prarieprincess - so glad that my post not only helped you at the store (great job btw on the better choice), but that you'll take it forward for a much happier journey! I appreciate your very kind response, and keep up with focusing on the idea that in "losing" we're really gaining ????

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

@"Mudgy6" have you tried mixing unflavored Protein in your broth at least? If not you should try it however, make sure its warm opposed to hot otherwise the Protein will clump. I ordered a case off of Amazon its called Beneprotien Instant Protein powder. Each packet is only 6 grams of protein bit its easy protein. I agree also that the Premier Protein shakes are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Like burgers and hot dogs and buffalo sandwich and fries and I guess this is all junk food. But, I can't go through a fast food drive through and grab a burger or anything. I just miss feeling normal when it comes to eating. Everything is just restricted when it goes down. I'm 9 weeks now and sometimes I only can get done purée food.

Like burgers and hot dogs and buffalo sandwich and fries and I guess this is all junk food. But, I can't go through a fast food drive through and grab a burger or anything. I just miss feeling normal when it comes to eating. Everything is just restricted when it goes down. I'm 9 weeks now and sometimes I only can get done purée food.

So I am still on liquids here so I might only be imagining that this could work but....why couldn't you have a small burger with cheese, pickles, mustard, Tomato, lettuce, ketchup but no bun? I mean, the quality of the meat would certainly be waaaay better if you made it at home and could eat it on a plate with a knife and fork, but you could get that burger taste? I've seen on Pinterest where some bariatric folks make little sliders and wrap them in lettuce.

I know it's not the same as driving with one hand and holding your Big Mac with the other, but that option didn't get us the life we truly want.

Oh my! yes I'm afraid that I might feel the same way. I have my surgery on September 20th n you know there's sweets coming up from Halloween especially having kids that wants candy instantly and then there's Thanksgiving all your favorites and family, shortly after its Christmas... Soo I'm already going to counseling and groups support to prepare myself bc I'm doing everything so fast. My surgery got approved in a month and prior to that I jus decided to go for bariatric surgery like in May and realizing that it's a lifetime decision is heavy and hard to cope with but I know that it's going to be worth it.

Sent from my Z963VL using the BariatricPal App

Saria, I'm feeling the same way but for my potatoe chips. I'm not a sweet eater but the holidays has always been centered around food with me cooking. I guess I will be more healthier options come now on. My surgery is September 20th and I'm scared and excited about it. I'm reading a lot and asking a lot of questions. I do feel that no matter how many questions I have it will always be one I didn't ask. I pray everything goes well and God will keep me in good health.

Good luck with your surgery.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I'm almost 3 weeks put out and eating pretty normal but Super small portions and Nothing with yeast

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

Clean cooking helps

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

@@curlysue,

You’re at a really hard stage now. You’re still not eating solid foods, and it’s been a long 9 weeks, which is probably long enough to make you realize how long “forever” is, which is how long you’ll be staying on your diet!

It makes perfect sense to miss feeling “normal” and being able to grab a burger and fries, but I think there is hope! Things should get better once you are back to eating solid foods and you have more choices of what to eat. When you expand your range of healthy foods and you try and love new healthy foods and recipes and dishes, you may not have the urge to get that burger and fries. It may be more natural and feel better just to grab a stick of string cheese and some baby carrots, or if you feel like going through the drive-through, maybe you’ll just order a fresh fruit cup or a grilled chicken sandwich and not eat the bun – so you get the fun of the drive-through, but without the junk food.

Things will look up once you’re eating solid foods and a variety of them.