Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swallow/leak test: I didn't have obe

Everyone else seems to be mentioning this post-surgical test, so now I'm worried because I didn't have one. Surgery was Aug 17. Released today. Clear fluids are okay. Sipped some Protein Shake tonight. All seems well, except I have a hard time getting gulps of Water down comfortably. (Have always been a big water drinker, so may just need to make my gulps more dainty.)

Am I just being overly anxious? Or do most doctors do the leak/swallow test?

I thought standard maybe you could ask. You will know if problem but it would be because of severe problem/infection due to leak.

It may be that as leaks have become increasingly less common, that they have decided that the leak test isn't necessary any more (just a guess, but many things change in their processes as they learn more and develop new tools.)

As for your Water drinking, the typical advice from the docs is to sip, sip, sip your Water these first few weeks as inflammation in the stomach can impede your drinking and make normal drinks or gulps uncomfortable (or worse, back up again.) I am a big drinker, too, but we have to put up with the sipping until swelling goes down in there and fluids flow through more normally.

I would ask your doctor about the leak test, if you are concerned.

My doctor told me pre-surgery that he actually does a leak test at the end of the surgery, while the patient is still under anesthesia. So I had a leak test done, but don't remember it. ;-)

I was sleeved on 08/01 and also did not get a swallow test which was surprising since it seems like everyone else has one. I would slow down the gulps and try smaller sips to see if it helps. FWIW, the woman I know who had a leak had really bad acid and it felt like a heart attack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I had no swallow test. My doc did the test while in there with liquid and dye I believe. He said it was like checking a tire for a leak.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My leak test was done while I was still in the OR. My doc puts Water in the abdominal cavity and air in the stomach, then checks for bubbles. MUCH nicer than a barium swallow :)

My Dr does the leak test while your still in surgery. The Water will get easier. My surgery was 8/8/16. I'm able to get my 64oz down. Try room temp Water.< /p>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks, all, for the responses. So very helpful. I know it's early days, and I tend to worry everything to death. I really appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 5 days post-op. The first day I felt it if I took too big of a sip of Water, but now, I can take much larger drinks without feeling any discomfort. Room temp Water is the way to go. The first day, I would take 1 ounce of water over about 3-4 sips every 15 minutes. Now, I can swallow the entire ounce in one drink but I try not to as I think that it seems to make me burp more.

I am 5 days post-op. The first day I felt it if I took too big of a sip of Water, but now, I can take much larger drinks without feeling any discomfort. Room temp Water is the way to go. The first day, I would take 1 ounce of water over about 3-4 sips every 15 minutes. Now, I can swallow the entire ounce in one drink but I try not to as I think that it seems to make me burp more.

It's funny that I need water the most, absolutely love it, and yet am having difficulty with it. I am, indeed, sipping verrryyyy slowly and that seems to help, as does room temperature water. Glad to know I can look forward to one ounce at a time!

My surgery was at Cleveland Clinic and they do not do a swallow test either (even though its mentioned in their handbook). I was thrilled.

Water is a big issue for many patients. I too use to drink lots of Water pre surgery. Bottled and/or from my faucet. I also did a lot of research. One wonders how can water be difficult to drink after surgery. But it was for me as well. Regardless warm, hot, cold or room temp. It just sat in my chest. Even the smallest sip.

What I read and is true for me, you need to soften it with something, anything. Cyrstal light, ice tea, warm tea. When I do this, and I rarely use an entire packet I can drink my water just fine.

I spoke with my nutritionist yesterday and she said, if I want just plain water, to try distilled water and I will find that easy to drink. Either way, she said, I will eventually be able to drink plain water again as I did pre surgery. I didn't ask her how long.

I had an early appointment yesterday and since it was really my first day out on my own, I decided to run a bunch of errands. Its amazing how easy life interferes. By the time I got home at 1 pm. (I left at 8), I realized all I had drank was one 16 ou bottle of water (with crystal light). I thought about stopping and picking up water, but I knew its too hard to drink now. Here it was 1 pm. and I was far far behind on my Protein and water intake. My NUT cleared me for yogurt, but I didn't want to chance trying that on the road. By the end of the day, I just was kind of quesy so passed on introducing yogurt or cottage cheese into my day.

I know this is a full time job now to stay on top of my liquids and Protein.< /p>

My surgery was at Cleveland Clinic and they do not do a swallow test either (even though its mentioned in their handbook). I was thrilled.

Water is a big issue for many patients. I too use to drink lots of Water pre surgery. Bottled and/or from my faucet. I also did a lot of research. One wonders how can water be difficult to drink after surgery. But it was for me as well. Regardless warm, hot, cold or room temp. It just sat in my chest. Even the smallest sip.

What I read and is true for me, you need to soften it with something, anything. Cyrstal light, ice tea, warm tea. When I do this, and I rarely use an entire packet I can drink my water just fine.

I spoke with my nutritionist yesterday and she said, if I want just plain water, to try distilled water and I will find that easy to drink. Either way, she said, I will eventually be able to drink plain water again as I did pre surgery. I didn't ask her how long.

I had an early appointment yesterday and since it was really my first day out on my own, I decided to run a bunch of errands. Its amazing how easy life interferes. By the time I got home at 1 pm. (I left at 8), I realized all I had drank was one 16 ou bottle of water (with crystal light). I thought about stopping and picking up water, but I knew its too hard to drink now. Here it was 1 pm. and I was far far behind on my Protein and water intake. My NUT cleared me for yogurt, but I didn't want to chance trying that on the road. By the end of the day, I just was kind of quesy so passed on introducing yogurt or cottage cheese into my day.

I know this is a full time job now to stay on top of my liquids and Protein.< /p>

I agree. It really is a full-time job. (It's one of the very few benefits of being unemployed at the moment.) I am about to open my stash of Crystal Light. Thank you for the reminder!