Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good comebacks?

Try this, I use this all the time for situations where people comment on things that are really none of their business:

*look at them, confused*

*when they continue talking, suddenly look like you understand something *

"Ohhhh... I get it, you think I give a s h i t what you think. How silly/egotistical/self-righteous/retarded/stupid (choose insulting word that fits the person) of you!"

Then laugh and walk away.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

Why in the world would you use the word "retarded" as an insult? That's seriously offensive.

Most of this guys posts are offensive.

I tend to take a non-verbal approach with idiots like that.

A deep breath.....inflated chest cavity.....cross my arms and give 'em a squinty eyed stare. A slight nod of the head back and forth is my clue to them not to push things further.

Some don't get it though.....they thrive on being stupid.

One....a younger upper manager at work (who's on the fast track for world domination with my employer)......kept on badgering me about my weight.

The last time he did it was at the salad bar in our cafeteria.

I had just finished a fast lunchtime workout in the gym and was grabbing a Protein loaded side salad from the bar. Minding my own bidness.....just trying to get what I needed.....grab and go.

So he comes over and asks me, "Well, well, well.....look who we have here. Salad huh? So, guy, what are you up to now ? What's your weight up to now ?"

He keeps on with this while getting my eggs and chicken chunks.

I should add at this point that he's one of those pencil necked nerdy types who thinks that cross country running is the only fitness that matters.

Again with the questions about my weight.

I turn to him....lean over so nobody else can hear and say, "Why don't you ask your wife what I weigh, Michale.....she's felt all of it".

Then I go back to my salad.

He slammed his dayplanner down on the counter and made an odd noise with his throat and walked off.

We have yet to speak again.

A little more to the story is that this guy is on an unprecedented career trajectory.....My boss reports to the person that reports to this guy.

His wife, who I've never met, is a saint of a woman. She's very active in their church and plays in the local symphony. They are puritans and live a clean life and are great family people.

I probably should've handled the situation differently....but I'd enough of his badgering.

Clearly he pursued the matter because I was asked by a member of HR about any "conversations" between us. I couldn't recall any real specifics and stuck with that. Seemed to satisfy them.

I'm probably screwed, but I'll certainly not be bothered by his stupidity again.....at least not in the area of my weight.

Wow his questions are totally an HR issue. You could of easily reported him for harassment I mean what if you were a woman and he was needling you for your bra size I kind of consider it in the same realm. Ha you should of said, "oh hey I'm flattered but I don't date coworkers" that would of shut him up.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

The best comeback ever is... lose weight, get healthy, look fabulous and ignore these people.

If they say you are taking the easy way out, simply say.. i am making the right choice for me and my health.

Then do what i do, imagine all the good comebacks in my head lol

Regardless of how good your comebacks are, people will always say something, comment and add their 2 cents worth, unfortunately this is human nature, if you don't react or engage in it, you don't hand over your power to them, they get bored and move on...

I'm one month preop and I am getting quite a few people telling me I am taking the easy way out. I think I would like to create a " elevator speech" with some good comebacks to that common statement. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I think a couple of easy responses would be:

"Yes I'm taking the easy way out to save my life, thanks for letting me know"

or

"I really appreciate your concern/curiosity about this event however I'm not comfortable discussing it right now. I trust that you can respect my wishes... so how about this crazy weather?"

or

"Your line of questioning is inappropriate; please desist."

I have used variations of these replies for the sassy to salty peeps I know. Some people are curious sincerely and with them I usually give an abbreviated account along with my programs info.

This experience is stressful for everyone. No one decided to do this for fun or without consideration. It's surgery and people can die from that but we each and everyone of us was on a definite path to an early death or risking preventable disease (high bp, heart disease, diabetes, etc) because of obesity. It's proven, there's studies upon studies, and so many facts about the dangers of obesity that the time was now to take of it. WLS was the best option for everyone here too, the data supports that our health will improve. This is a lot of information that can't just be said in a passing comment or single sentence.

Good luck OP.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

My thoughts are that someone is mighty arrogant if they are outside of my inner circle and feel compelled to share their opinion about my medical procedure... My response " I'm not interested in your medical decisions nor am I interested in your opinions on mine. It's irrelevant to your life so bugger off!" And SMILE of course

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

"Thank you for your concern. You have a blessed day now. Good bye".

I have learned, especially recently, that I don't have to defend my life choices to anyone. I also try not to join their ignorance by insulting them back. When someone criticizes anything about me, my opinions or my choices, I simply say "It works for me" , I end the discussion and I change the subject. I'm getting better the more I do it and it is amazing how negative people don't know how to handle the lack of emotional response. Best wishes to you.

I tell people that the truth is if there was an easy way out we would ALL be fighting each other to get to the front of the line. doh. everyone who has any weight to loose would do it if it was easy. OF COURSE.

when you are not ashamed of getting the tools you need it really takes the wind out of their sails. thankfully I have not encountered that attitude from anyone important to me.

This is why I'm not telling anyone.

I was super heartbroken when my best friend who I told (and swore to secrecy) told me that I was giving up on myself. I think it's just one of those things you can't understand until you've struggled with it. It's like telling someone with depression to just, "cheer up!", or someone with anxiety to "calm down!!" (I've literally had that yelled at me during a panic attack).

food is so weird because it's the one addiction that is supposedly all your fault. If a heroin addict had managed to quit by himself for a few weeks or months or even years but kept going back to it no one would be saying, "no.. you can do this on your own! don't give up on yourself!!" We would be rightfully applauding them for realizing that they had an issue that was effecting their health and acknowledging that they needed more tools to get healthy. Fat people are one of the last groups of people in this country that no one will bother you for shaming or making fun of. Everyone else gets a pat on the back for getting some sort of professional help. Instead it's, "GOD, just put down the fork and start exercising! It's not THAT hard!"

I'd just once like to hear someone say, "GOD just put down the needle and stop shooting up, it's not THAT hard!"

If people haven't experienced something they just don't get it, the decent ones among us REALIZE that they don't understand and try to have sympathy and not judge. After I explained more about the surgery to my friend she got on board with my decision, but I can't have that conversation over and over again so it's just her and my husband who know.

If you're looking for an answer to people saying that, the best you can do is explain what kind of sacrifices really go into this surgery. If you don't want to keep explaining that just nod and smile.

I haven't had many negative comments but to the few I did get I simply say if you think it's so easy have it done and in a year we can re visit this conversation and you can tell me what you think is so easy about it...and being that I'm 6"1 no one has been brave enough to comment further... To my face anyway ... Try to not to be affected by other people's opinions it's not their life or their decision you get to decide what works for you no one else has to like it as long as you want to do it then just be ok with not feeling you must explain or justify anything to anyone....

I tend to take a non-verbal approach with idiots like that.

A deep breath.....inflated chest cavity.....cross my arms and give 'em a squinty eyed stare. A slight nod of the head back and forth is my clue to them not to push things further.

Some don't get it though.....they thrive on being stupid.

One....a younger upper manager at work (who's on the fast track for world domination with my employer)......kept on badgering me about my weight.

I had just finished a fast lunchtime workout in the gym and was grabbing a Protein loaded side salad from the bar. Minding my own bidness.....just trying to get what I needed.....grab and go.

So he comes over and asks me, "Well, well, well.....look who we have here. Salad huh? So, guy, what are you up to now ? What's your weight up to now ?"

I should add at this point that he's one of those pencil necked nerdy types who thinks that cross country running is the only fitness that matters.

I turn to him....lean over so nobody else can hear and say, "Why don't you ask your wife what I weigh, Michale.....she's felt all of it".

He slammed his dayplanner down on the counter and made an odd noise with his throat and walked off.

We have yet to speak again.

A little more to the story is that this guy is on an unprecedented career trajectory.....My boss reports to the person that reports to this guy.

His wife, who I've never met, is a saint of a woman. She's very active in their church and plays in the local symphony. They are puritans and live a clean life and are great family people.

I probably should've handled the situation differently....but I'd enough of his badgering.

Clearly he pursued the matter because I was asked by a member of HR about any "conversations" between us. I couldn't recall any real specifics and stuck with that. Seemed to satisfy them.

I'm probably screwed, but I'll certainly not be bothered by his stupidity again.....at least not in the area of my weight.

Sounds like workplace bullying to me. He's one guy that should never be in a higher position if he is unable to control himself. He insulted you, you got back at him (good for you!) and he went and tattled on you. Real winner of a guy...what a weasel...

....One....a younger upper manager at work (who's on the fast track for world domination with my employer)......kept on badgering me about my weight.

We have yet to speak again...

At least you did not follow that remark up with "She tried to tell me then but I didn't understand what she was saying because her mouth was full". :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I think this thread demonstrates why the best policy is to not tell people!

For people who are just clueless (not mean spirited), just smile and say "doctors orders".

For mean spirited, try something like "what an interesting comment about my private medical condition". Or "ding, ding, you win the prize, you're the 100th person to say that (or ask that)"...