Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Duodenal Switch with a hyhatal hernia repair was on Monday 8/15/16. So far things are not going well, I hurt, I can't get enough clear fluids in because I feel so full after one oz. I'm up and walking but not much gas is coming out. And peeing has been hard to do. So far I am regretting this choice more and more. What have I done, I feel a continuous knife in my chest right at the sternum all the time. Im afraid as of now.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Are you on pain meds? Are you still hooked up to an IV?

I was on pain meds in the hospital and then for a week, post op at home.

I had IV fluids in for 3 days, as I could only sip small amounts of fluids in the hospital.

The pain and difficulties in drinking fluids do go away in time, it gets better and better.

I read in these forums that hiatal hernia repair can make the recovery bit longer and more painful.

Hope you have some good, strong pain meds.

Good luck!

everyday will get a little better.....walk as much as possible and take your pain meds.....and sip sip sip...I promise it gets better!

Hey there....you had the biggest type of weight loss surgery there is, PLUS you had a hiatal hernia repair done. That's a LOT for you to recover from. These first days are the exception, it's not always going to be like this.

Take your drugs, rest, do your best with your fluids, and relax. We are here with you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Crystal Ann Keister

You seem to be having buyers remorse ......

And yet you are so EARLY post op!

My first 2 weeks post op were the toughest to get through. I was in pain, sipping fluids was bit painful, I found it difficult to maintain my fluids, and so got very dehydrated 10 days post op. It was a scary experience for me, I thought I was going into shock, feeling faint, racing pulse, cold and clammy and my skin was grey!

Someone gave me Hydralyte to drink and I was good again 15 mins later.

So, as everyone else here said, it will pass !!!

A week or 2 or 3 from now, you will look back on how you felt, and be thankful that you are feeling better!

Also, if you have serious concerns, please call your surgeon.

Good luck!

This will get better. Please take your pain meds. I took mine for about a week post op.

I also had a hernia repair.. I don't have anything to compare it to but I don't believe that in itself will cause additional discomfort. My post op instructions/symptom list was not any different from those who just had the sleeve.

Your stomach is swollen, your throat is raw from the breathing tube. Getting fluids in is really hard at this stage. I was to gradually increase the amount that i drank. 1 oz every 30 mins increasing as time went on. They gave me medicine cups at the hospital for this reason.

Take baby steps and remember you just has major surgery. You're not going to feel "normal" for a while. For me it was 3 weeks.

@@Crystal Ann Keister

2 days after having your insides diced and rearranged, yeah you are in pain. It is only the 2nd day though, give it time. This is major surgery! Just because people can walk and move and are released from the hospital quickly doesn't mean that WLS is not major surgery it is. Rest and give yourself time to heal.

What you are experiencing is 100% normal! I cried daily in the early days post-op. I wondered if I would ever feel normal again. I had so many bouts of pain and discomfort and frustration! The good news is, it's all temporary. In fact, it's VERY temporary. You will legitimately see improvement from one day to the next. A few weeks out, you will start to feel vaguely human again. Just hang in there!

I totally get your feeling of "oh crrrraaaaap" I had it too! ...and I hate to be wrong!! I'm 3 months out and the one thing I held onto throughout was my family....Get your family involved...The pain is so temporary but the WLS is forever!! Just like your family and close friends! I made a little video diary to relay what I was feeling and suffering and it really helped!! I will be thinking of you and I'm sure when you look back on the first month you're going to be soooo proud of what you went through!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hope you are feeling better!!

Im feeling better but still worried. I have to start a new job on Monday 8/22 a weeks recovery was all I could pull off financial. I hope my brain will sharping if I get off the pain meds. I feel alot of brain fog, memory and hard to focus. And Im still sleepy so Im gonna try to not take pain meds much today. I was able to get all my liquids and Protein in yesterday, but it really was sipping all day full or not. Thanks for all the support

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Crystal Ann Keister

Keep us posted