Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is much research, reading, watching, discussing, listening, and then the whole list repeats and repeats and... in your near future.

There will always be "road blocks" if you're looking for them. The idea is to "overcome" and/or work through the road blocks.

The first thing to do is to find a bariatric team whose mindset is the same as yours. These are the folks who will be your new "closest friends" for the foreseeable future.

Take one concern at a time. Research it until you are satisfied with the outcome. Then move on to the next.

As far as coffee/caffeine? It was never forbidden to me. Never/ever. I worked with my surgeon and my Nut.. Together we came up with a plan that allowed me my coffee. (for every oz. of coffee I drank, I had to have an oz. of water) It worked for me and still is.

Don't overwhelm yourself. One step at a time, my friend. One step at a time. :)

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and experience. Far to many of you to try and tag. After reading all your posts and talking to hubby, I decided that even if coffee is a no go, I am still moving forward with this surgery. My knees and back are getting worst as each day passes. I'm only 37! I see 80 year olds get around better than me! And yeah, it pisses me off that I allowed myself to get to this point. I have a plan for the smoking... Vape with no nicotine. The chocolate cravings won't be an issue because the Protein shakes come in a variety of flavors. Now the biggest issue is..... Waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hey @@theantichick How are you doing??

Doing good. Sore, but nothing too bad. I don't like heavy opiates, dilaudid just gave me headaches, so tramadol is taking care of most of the pain for me. No nausea, tolerating liquids and Protein shakes beautifully, if really slowly. It'll be midnight before I hit my Fluid goal, and I doubt I'll hit my Protein goal today, maybe not tomorrow. But in the short term, I know the hydration is most important. :)

Nice to hear you're doing well! I missed your surgery day! How were you going into this - did you have any panicky feelings of backing out?? I'm feeling that way now and working on it

@@Jane1979,

Thanks for the update and the explanation. You are being extremely smart in being honest with yourself about why you feel surgery is not for you. It is far better to realize that beforehand than to ignore your concerns, do something irreversible, and regret it for the rest of your life.

As the others said, you may not have to give up coffee for life if you do get surgery, although there are no guarantees.

There are plenty of paths to a healthy weight and a happy weight, and I hope that you find one that works for you! Of course, WLS is always an option if you change your mind; you can always do it, just not undo it! Good luck, and keep us posted whenever you would like!

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and experience. Far to many of you to try and tag. After reading all your posts and talking to hubby, I decided that even if coffee is a no go, I am still moving forward with this surgery. My knees and back are getting worst as each day passes. I'm only 37! I see 80 year olds get around better than me! And yeah, it pisses me off that I allowed myself to get to this point. I have a plan for the smoking... Vape with no nicotine. The chocolate cravings won't be an issue because the Protein shakes come in a variety of flavors. Now the biggest issue is..... Waiting.

Jane ... I hear ya! I'm 44 and every time I try a new plan of action something gets in the way, knee goes bad, hip hurts, swimmers ear, plantar ficitis etc... of course I have my tiny doubts in my head that say ... did you try everything out there, did you really give that last diet a chance .... I know I have done my best and now it's time for help (meaning sleeve surgery). I'm excited that you made the choice too. Sorry I high jacked your thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I had surgery on 5/29/15. HW 340 SW 320 CW 200 GW was 225. I still enjoy my coffee everyday just in a smaller quantity I just don't drink the high calorie ones with caramel and everything else. I keep it plain. Expresso with cream and stevia. 4-5oz.

My taste and desire for things has changed so much. Things that meant so much too me no longer matter. Got to focus on the bigger picture. Good luck with your journey.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the BariatricPal App

Hey @@theantichick How are you doing??

Doing good. Sore, but nothing too bad. I don't like heavy opiates, dilaudid just gave me headaches, so tramadol is taking care of most of the pain for me. No nausea, tolerating liquids and Protein shakes beautifully, if really slowly. It'll be midnight before I hit my Fluid goal, and I doubt I'll hit my Protein goal today, maybe not tomorrow. But in the short term, I know the hydration is most important. :)

Nice to hear you're doing well! I missed your surgery day! How were you going into this - did you have any panicky feelings of backing out?? I'm feeling that way now and working on it

I had some fleeting thoughts about backing out, after having some success losing weight on the pre-op diet. But frankly, if diets worked for me, I wouldn't be 120 lbs overweight. I have health reasons for having the surgery that are strong motivators.

I've been doing well post-op. By day 3 my arthritis hurt much worse than the surgery sites. I'm sore, but it's not bad at all. I have not had any nausea. My fluid/protein intake is slow, and I'm getting in the minimum needed to stay hydrated, but haven't hit goal yet. Coming closer each day, though. :)

Right now, I don't really regret the surgery. I wish I could rush through to some real food, even just puree' and soft foods, but my cravings are for protein type foods like cheese and refried Beans right now instead of the sticky carby treats I used to love. I hope that change is permanent. :) But it's not worth the risk to my healing to rush the progress. So I'm trying to get some variety in the pudding, Jello, and protein options on my list.

I need to update my weight ticker, I've lost about 13 lbs since the surgery on the 17th.

I am a real coffee lover. I gave it up with both of my pregnancies and was reewarded with 2 beautiful children. In being sleeved on 9/13. I will gladly give up coffee again to be rewarded with good health.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Look, I am about to have my surgery on Sep 16th. If I lose my expected weight, that will be 140 pounds, It is like as if I carry another human being on me all the time and that human being chokes me when I am asleep, gives me back ache, takes the extra seat on the airline and most of all has not let me run in over 10 years. If I have to give up coffee and switch to Decaf to get rid of this 140 pound human being that I carry on me-amen.

@@theantichick, WOW, congratulations on your weight loss! I'm still a few months before surgery, but I've had some of the same thoughts as you. I've been on the pre-surgery diet for 3 weeks now and I've lost 14 lbs. I started thinking, "Do I need this surgery?", but like you, I know better. I had lost over 100 lbs by myself 10 years ago, and now I'm right back to where I was. I can lose short term but this is about the rest of my life. Now the trick for me is I can't lose but a few more lbs before my final NUT visit, or I'll be below 35 BMI. I knew this would happen only eating Protein, veggies and very few carbs. I have to be careful not to lose any more. Doesn't that sound RIDICULOUS???? I have to be careful about not losing to much weight!?!?!?

@@Jane1979 please do not let this be the reason you don't get surgery. coffee is fine with most surgical teams now. You'll most likely need to just take a little break. I drink coffee, many do. And this is the best thing I've ever done. I'm 100 down with 60 to go.

As for this being a far more risky surgery than C-section, it just isn't. This is very safe and has very very few complications. In a c-section they cut you completely open and remove a child from your abdomen. That's a big hole! They do WLS laparoscopically with a few little incisions. It's the big holes in tissue and muscle that are the biggest concerns with many surgeries. And, you simply don't need your whole stomach! It's not like they're removing your heart or lungs! Recovery was a breeze. A breeze I tell you!

See the surgeon, trust the surgeon and live a much better life. This surgery will help you do that. It'll help you live!!!!

@@UpandAtom you are absolutely right. After posting this and seeing just how many ARE able to have coffee even if it is Decaf or even a coffee flavored Protein shake. (Tricking the mid) it will be worth it. I created a short list of pros.

1. being able to breathe when walking.

2. BEING ABLE TO WALK MORE THAN 10 STEPS!

3. Arthritis pain will be reduced.

4. Being able to spend time with friends and family and not worry that I can't keep up. I have missed out on so many outings because I don't want to hold them up.

5. Lowering the risk of heart problems, blood pressure etc. (I have none of these)

6. Being able to buy clothes that don't look like a clown wiped his face on.

MOST IMPORTANT.

7. Being able to watch my sons go from young men to husbands and fathers.

Again, I want to thank the entire community here. Each and every one of you have given sound advice and always willing to answer questions and concerns. The level of support here is tremendous.