Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost one month out. I had the six month waiting period, talked to lots of people and read this site religiously. It is still more difficult than I was expecting. I am very happy with my progress and have zero regrets but damn, this is so life altering and consumes my every thought. I assume it gets better? Things I am struggling with:

• Nothing tastes good. I can live with small portions but would like to at least enjoy what I am eating. Even Water tastes different. Did this happen to anyone else and does it get better?
  • Protein. I can hardly eat more than a few bites of anything so getting my 60g though food is impossible. I choke down the Protein shakes and have tried so many to see if I can find one I like but no luck. I freeze the Isopure into popsicles and that is better than drinking it but still struggle every day.
  • My largest incision is taking forever to heal. Been to dr twice who swears it is not infected and says the lack of protein had hurt my healing process (though the other incisions healed just fine.) I have really upped the protein intake last few days. The largest one is in the worst spot, right up against the band of my pants so it is constantly getting rubbed against.

I thought I was so prepared but this is hard and my mom is the one I would be talking to about all of this every day but she passed away unexpectedly on Mother's Day and that is just making things even more difficult.

Thx for reading. Would love any advice you have.

it does get easier. at 6 months tomorrow I do enjoy my food, I have a wide variety of foods/flavors to choose from and physically I feel good. Hang in there. the Protein will help you heal, and it will help you feel better.

it is hard loosing your mom. I am sorry. my Dad died unexpectedly less than 2 months ago. everything in my life is different now, I feel lost and abandoned, which is kind of ridiculous at my age (47, mom of 7 and grandma too) - but it is how I feel, so there it is. You are more than welcome to talk to us about any of this.

I am 8 weeks post op I wish I had been told how hard it was all going to be sounds like we are similar I get super nauseous if I try and drink Protein shakes now I have learned to eat small portion several times a day to get the Protein in. It has got easier I would say around week 6 I started feeling much better. I am sorry about your mom I lost my mom to and I know the feeling and want of needed your mom moms always make things better just being there that's what I miss the most about my mama. Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Regarding the Protein, you can try Protein Bars - not sure if they taste a lot better, but it's a different form than the shakes. I use both just to lessen my getting tired of them. Pure Protein and Think Thin make Protein Bars that are widely available, decently priced (about $1.50 each), and have about 20g of protein and 1g of sugar.

As far as the scar healing, I remember that I opened one of my wounds by scratching under my shirt while it itched. The scar tissue is very soft/weak at first and breaks easily. If you use some kind of low adhesive bandage or dressing on the troublesome one it will help to protect it from fingers or anything else rubbing on it.

It all gets better. I know it's hard to believe, but this will all be a distant memory someday. Eating gets easier. Getting your Protein in gets easier. Your incision WILL eventually heal. Are you on solid foods yet? You could try protein bars instead of shakes. I switched away from the shakes as soon as I could because I was SO over them. Just make sure to choose protein bars with high protein, low carbs, and low saturated fats.

I'm so sorry for your losses.. I can't imagine how hard this is for you two.

Protein bars are another choice for sure but just be careful of the calorie content. 1 gram of Protein shouldn't be more than 10 calories. So a 20gm Protein Bar should be 200 calories or less. A lot of the protein bars are just as bad a candy bars.

I'm 7 months out and for me food is still blah..

I wish I could find at least one dish that wows me..but for now it's like "well that was disappointing". This surgery definitely has turned me into a picky eater. I'm hoping this gets better for both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm coming up to 2 years post-op. It definitely gets easier. food tastes good again, but my tastes have definitely changed. Super-rich foods that I used to crave are no longer appealing to me.

Getting in Protein is not a struggle like it used to be. My diet is mostly Protein based, though I don't eat much meat. I still drink a Protein shake every day, mostly because it's an easy snack at work. Plus, they don't taste awful to me like they used to. Now it's just what I do.

You are correct about this changing every thought. I don't really think about the surgery anymore, but I sometimes obsess over carb counts and serving sizes. My wife will give me a serving of something that looks huge to me, so I weigh it and put some back. It drives her crazy. I have just found the amounts that I can comfortably eat, so I religiously stick to those amounts. But despite that, it doesn't consume all my thoughts like it used to. It's just a habit at this point.

Anyway, it does get better and easier. You are doing great so far. Just keep it up and don't become discouraged. It is all worth it in the end, and one day you will wish food didn't taste good again! :P

So sorry for your loss, I imagine this is a difficult time for you. Forgive the long post. I too am a newbie. I am 6 weeks post op. and although I may not know a lot-- I'm certain it gets better... I'm sure the vets will speak on it. I am going through a similar situation in terms of not enjoying my food. When I really think about it, I haven't "enjoyed" anything since surgery. So-- I try not to think about it. Now I will say this. I had 2 slices of bright red, sweet, juicy cold watermelon on Saturday evening :P I truly enjoyed that- unexpectedly. You too will receive unexpected gifts. Otherwise I learned early on I have to re evaluate my relationship with food. How I think about it and changing the mindset. I grew up eating what I loved. Didn't have a weight problem so my parents never checked me about what I ate. I grew up and continued to eat what I loved. Some good, some not so good. Bad habits formed so because of poor food choices throughout the years, I am here. I've enjoyed food long enough. I'm sure I will again but right now "eating to live" is the mantra to live by.

YES. Protein can be challenging. Especially at this stage. Get in the good habit of meal planning and Identifying foods which will help you reach your goals. I meal plan on Sundays I calculate based on what I'm eating or what I'd like to eat-- what it will take to get me to 70g and then I execute a plan to get it in for example :

AM Protein shake 30g

AM snack yogurt 15g

lunch Salmon (2oz) 13g

Mid afternoon snack Colby jack cheese 5g

dinner Grilled chicken (2oz) 16g

Nighttime snack (optional)

Total 79g Protein

I have 9g to spare so I know in the future I can cut back in certain areas to enjoy more fruit and veggies with meals or as Snacks at my discretion.

It can still be challenging especially eating slow. I can usually have my protein shakes, yogurt, and snack items without issue. But Salmon or chicken-- I'll have small bites and walk away for 5-10 minutes come back to it, rinse repeat until its gone. it seems like more of a task than it is enjoyable but I'm sure it has everything to do with our restriction right now which will improve as time goes on.

My incision site is just now healing! The other ones were fine. The one at the belly button I think finally closed over the weekend. I think it actually got worse before it got better. Like I barely noticed them after week 1 then most of them started closing up and scabbing over but around week 4 the belly and left lower abdominal incision were cutting up!!! Itching and tender but no drainage warmth redness or signs or symptoms of infection. You've discussed it with your team, they checked assessed it, ruled out infection so just continue to keep it clean and put a little coco butter or Vitamin E oil on it and it will soon be a distant memory.

You're still very early out so you're still in either pureed or soft foods stage. It does get better. I think I lived on Protein Shakes, baby food and fruit smoothies with greek yogurt mostly to get me through the day. So I do hope that you can find something that works for you. I did start blending my Premier Protein shakes with frozen fruits like banana (w/ chocolate) Mango or peaches (w/vanilla) strawberry with (Strawberry) it was my best bet for getting close to my protein goals so I HAD to make it work!!! Then something happened about week 4... I stopped making excuses and feeling pity for myself as for why I wasn't meeting my Fluid or protein goals and I decided to be more involved and proactive in the process.

I created a plan, I defined goals, I created charts, and timers or reminders to take supplements, eat or drink. I created food and exercise logs and journals to track what I eat- to assess whether I hit my protein and fluid goals, I created a weight log thanks to @@Red_lips_and_confidence to track my progression every Sunday for the next year I put them all in a binder and created week/month tabs so that when I go to my visits, if necessary my team can see what I'm doing and where I can improve.

I'm not always there but I'm always re evaluating and trying to improve. identifying barriers and strategies to overcome. it's a lot of work, but we didn't come this far for nothing. :angry:

So if you need a bit of encouragement you got it!!!! You're not alone and you can DO this!!!! Just wanted to share whats been working for me recently. You don't have to do all of this but you have to find and do what works for you. Maybe you can focus more on your plan since you can't leave the house :blush: . Hope things get better for you soon.

Edited by Candygyrl

@@Candygyrl Excellent post! I loved reading what works for you, always good to hear from someone who's at about the same point as I am.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful and encouraging responses! Great tips and nice to hear that it does get better!

I happened to stumble across this post today. What a difference two months makes!!! food is still blah but I am in a much better place mentally and have made so much progress. Easily getting Protein and Water in daily and energy has returned to normal levels. I still have my moments of frustration but this is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

For those just beginning this journey, it is difficult but does get better!

I, too, have had problems with things not tasting good anymore. Ive had trouble with most of the fake sweetener and cant get down pure Water yet. I always have to have ice tea, Powerade, diluted juice. Most of the crystal lights i used to enjoy taste blech to me.

As far as the foods, have you tried experimenting? Have you found something you kinda like and swapped out ingredients to find a better balance/flavor?

I have a hard time with most of the shakes but GENEPRO doesnt bug me for the most part and i really enjoy the muscle milk coffee house.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 344 Sleeved 10/5/16

I am almost one month out. I had the six month waiting period, talked to lots of people and read this site religiously. It is still more difficult than I was expecting. I am very happy with my progress and have zero regrets but damn, this is so life altering and consumes my every thought. I assume it gets better? Things I am struggling with:

• Nothing tastes good. I can live with small portions but would like to at least enjoy what I am eating. Even Water tastes different. Did this happen to anyone else and does it get better?
  • Protein. I can hardly eat more than a few bites of anything so getting my 60g though food is impossible. I choke down the Protein shakes and have tried so many to see if I can find one I like but no luck. I freeze the Isopure into popsicles and that is better than drinking it but still struggle every day.
  • My largest incision is taking forever to heal. Been to dr twice who swears it is not infected and says the lack of Protein had hurt my healing process (though the other incisions healed just fine.) I have really upped the protein intake last few days. The largest one is in the worst spot, right up against the band of my pants so it is constantly getting rubbed against.

I thought I was so prepared but this is hard and my mom is the one I would be talking to about all of this every day but she passed away unexpectedly on Mother's Day and that is just making things even more difficult.

Thx for reading. Would love any advice you have.

I had my surgery on 09/19- I will be 6 weeks post op on halloween and thought I could share with you the things I have found, tried and experience (so far)...

Food- Nothing tastes good to me either... I seriously struggle because nothing sounds good, nothing tastes good, nothing... it sucks. I agree, Water tastes funny. I had to start drinking crystal light pink lemonade just to help get my water/liquid in. I finally can enjoy water at 5 weeks out. My problem is everything either upsets my tummy or is way to sweet... ugh, it can be so frustrating.

Protein- up until this week, I was MAYBE getting 30 grams... but this week I tried something different. I have unflavored protein mix, put it into my Decaf coffee with sugar free french vanilla creamer... This gave me 30 grams of protein before even eating Breakfast... along with adding 12 ounces to the 64 ounces of liquid I am supposed to be having. Ialso made sugar free protein Jello shots... pinterest!!! Then I eat something small for Breakfast and lunch focusing on protein first. FYI, Chick Fil A has amazing grilled chicken nuggets that are HUGE in protein... Try that... Nothing else from there though. haha.

Incision - As far as the incision goes, my incision finally stopped hurting and bothering me this last week when I uped the protein intake. Like yours, all the other ones have healed and don't bother me, but that big on still has a pulling feeling every once in a while. Its a sign that I haven't had enough protein nor liquid. At least for my body anyways.

I agree that this is harder than i expected... The surgery was the easy part, having to learn my new body after is a straight struggle. It does get easier, just make sure you are trying different things. I hope this helps...