Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Dreaded Stall

I had my sleeve done on August 4th, and I've lost 17 pounds in just a week and a half, which is awesome! I have finally hit the dreaded stall. I haven't lost a single pound in 3 days, which is fine because I knew it would happen. 3 days doesn't seem like much, but I know my body and it's definitely a stall.

My question is... Is there a scientific reason behind why stalls happen? Is it the body getting used to the weight loss or something else? I'm just curious.

@@Hiraeth This is one possibility...

If you are losing weight rapidly due to a drastic drop in food and/or calorie intake, your body will naturally slow down its metabolism in order to conserve energy. It goes into kind of a hibernation mode. Your body thinks you are “starving” and holds onto every last calorie.

@@Hiraeth This is one possibility...

If you are losing weight rapidly due to a drastic drop in food and/or calorie intake, your body will naturally slow down its metabolism in order to conserve energy. It goes into kind of a hibernation mode. Your body thinks you are “starving” and holds onto every last calorie.

You are so right! I am starving myself, but not on purpose. :( I lost 2 more pounds since my small stall, but only because I ate more! That's crazy! Thanks so much for your response! I'm trying so hard to get in all my fluids and Protein, but it's not easy because, even before my sleeve, I only ate a lot at night. I barely ever ate in the morning or for lunch. I guess I have more habits to break than I thought. >_<

Yes, there is a scientific reason almost everyone experiences a stall about three weeks post-op. Remember that pre-op diet to shrink your liver? About three weeks post-op is when your body decides to replenish the glucose in your liver.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Yes, there is a scientific reason almost everyone experiences a stall about three weeks post-op. Remember that pre-op diet to shrink your liver? About three weeks post-op is when your body decides to replenish the glucose in your liver.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Now that is interesting! Thanks for the response! That makes perfect sense! :)

You will likely experience scale reading stalls or even slight gains throughout the weight loss process.

Most wls patients seem to.

Stay on track with your plan and keep on searching for ways to exercise as much as possible. Don't get discouraged and keep evaluating your adherence to your plan.

Stick with your scheduled visits with your surgeon and maintain contact with your nutritionist.

If the scale doesn't cooperate in ways that you think it should....then challenge your nutritionist on refining your plan. Don't accept results that don't make you happy.

I somehow messed up this entry... XD I re-wrote my response below.

Edited by Hiraeth

You will likely experience scale reading stalls or even slight gains throughout the weight loss process.

Most wls patients seem to.

Stay on track with your plan and keep on searching for ways to exercise as much as possible. Don't get discouraged and keep evaluating your adherence to your plan.

Stick with your scheduled visits with your surgeon and maintain contact with your nutritionist.

If the scale doesn't cooperate in ways that you think it should....then challenge your nutritionist on refining your plan. Don't accept results that don't make you happy.

Thank you so much, Dub. Your posts are always so thorough and intellectual.

I'll admit, I haven't been exercising like I should. I want to walk, but it's so hot outside and it makes me feel awful; it also makes my Vocal Cord Dysfunction act up (I live where the humidity is smothering). I always want to walk around the pond at the park, but my mother never wants to drive me there. She's overweight, too, and always says she's too tired to even just wait for me to walk half a mile around the pond! The pond makes the hot air around me feel so cool. I would ask friends to hang out and walk, but my best friend has RA, and she's only 26! She also works all day and has a toddler, so she's always too tired. All my other friends live at least 45 minutes away. I live right by the gym, but it's $30 a month, and since I just paid the hospital $350 out of pocket for my surgery, I'm really hurting in my wallet. All of my money has been going to Protein shakes, Soup, and bills.

I guess what I'll do is put on a YouTube video about exercising and try to get in at least 30 minutes a day. What do you think? :)

I've already lost 18 pounds in just half a month, which is fantastic. But I can't help but wonder how much more I would have lost, had I been exercising. XD I probably would have already lost 20 pounds!

You'll get there.

Off to a great start.

Hiraeth, look at the SWORKIT app. They provide free, low impact workouts for free that require no equipment or home materials (can do anywhere)

Working beyond grief for a better life!

Hiraeth, look at the SWORKIT app. They provide free, low impact workouts for free that require no equipment or home materials (can do anywhere)

Working beyond grief for a better life!

Thanks so much! I will check out the app right now! <3