Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bored with Breakfast! Any dieticians out there?

I just don't understand how my plan is sooo different. One of the many recipes I was encouraged to eat is an egg (any way comfortable) with half a piece of toast. Soft foods included crackers and toast. I just can't get over the differences in plans.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Babbs, pick one, pick 'em all:

1. If that's your real, natural-born rack, I'll bet the boys stayed away in droves.

2. I see that the asymmetrical haircut you had to mask haire loss has grown back in.

3. Now I believe you're in Idaho.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Hell's bells! Some people even claim that they were able to "ignore" it immediately pot op for a spell. ;)

On the odd chance that "Some people..." is a reference to moi, know that earlier in this merry exchange, I thought, "Good grief, does this mean we're dating?" The yellow, splotchy thing was a contributing factor way back. It looks more like a snide smirk than anything else.

I just don't understand how my plan is sooo different. One of the many recipes I was encouraged to eat is an egg (any way comfortable) with half a piece of toast. Soft foods included crackers and toast. I just can't get over the differences in plans.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@reeniemay,

I'm guessing not all dieticians think the same! Mine insists that we not weigh ourselves daily (that is hard...and I DO cheat), don't count calories, just count Protein grams and avoid the starches/carbs that I listed. I sure wish I could eat something crunchy! lol

Not sure how you feel about quinoa, but it satisfies my "carb cravings" and it's a healthy Protein source, as well as a great vehicle to include other healthy foods (fruits & veggies). The "California Quinoa Salad" from Whole Foods is really, really good, and I found a recipe that is very close to that...if you like quinoa, give it a try. If you want to add more protein to it, try adding some scrambled egg or chicken to it...a lot you can do with it!

(It goes without saying that you can add/subtract whatever you want/don't want to your tastes)

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/california-quinoa-salad-whole-foods-copycat/

Edited by smg

I am in week nine post surgery and really sick of eating eggs, yogurt, and Protein shakes. I still enjoy the fruit. I am craving carbs for the first time and broke down and bought the low carb Protein Bars on this website. Feeling very guilty about it. My dietician said to avoid rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and starchy foods altogether for the next six months when my weight loss will most significant. Is this one person's opinion? Can I eat a Protein Bar or oatmeal occassionally if it's in moderation?

Pinterest has heaps of low carb and VSG-related Breakfast recipes, so you might find some there that interest you. I love the blog site The World According to Eggface, which has a lot of delightful and simple recipes designed for people who've had WLS. On the weekends I'll whip up a batch of her little pancake bites for a treat. My staple Breakfast has been a smoothie with a high-protein, low carb plain Greek yogurt like Fage, frozen kale (having it frozen helps with the consistency) and frozen low-GI fruit (that sufficiently mask the taste and color of the kale).

As to the question of whether you can eat a Protein Bar and oatmeal for breakfast, I think only you can answer it. Protein Bars and oatmeal vary by quality and nutrients, and the way each person responds to them differs. I've mainly designed my own diet but I did consult with a RD who recommended that I eat a modest amount of healthy carbs like oatmeal, vegetables, and fruit. She said that steel cut oats with healthy toppings rather than loaded down with sugar can be a good breakfast. In my experience, the drawback of it is that it's so filling it's difficult to get much Protein in. My husband is a physician and urges everyone to have a quality form of protein within an hour of waking up. It doesn't have to be a huge amount, but it should be a serving. I rarely eat oatmeal, but I keep the Trader Joe's frozen oatmeal on hand for the rare days when it's really cold and I'm craving something warm in the morning. I'll add in some unflavored Protein powder, or some almond butter. The dietitian said everyone should avoid instant and flavored oatmeal because most are packed with sugar. I personally dislike most protein bars because they upset my tummy. Other people adore them. I would be sure to look for a protein bar that is lower in carbs.

If you're really feeling deprived, you could simply have a protein bar and oatmeal and see how they impact your progress. If you continue to lose weight, carry on. If you stall out or gain, reevaluate. See whether you can still incorporate them but make other tweaks to your eating and exercising, or have them sparingly rather than daily. I think to have long-term success you need to find a way of creating sustainable habits. One person might be as happy as can be on a low carb diet, and another might find that it makes them obsess about carbs to the point they end up wanting to binge on them. Find your own stride.

And best of luck with everything, including dealing with the awful flooding. My gosh, my heart goes out to all impacted there.

Wish my pouch liked eggs....Sigh. I miss the variety you can do with eggs. If I could tolerate them, I would go poach one for me right now....it's lunch time.

Wish I wasn't allergic to crab and lobster because I love them but developed an allergy. I would eat it every day. So for now, shrimp and fish will have to do. And I can tolerate tuna if I make a salad out of it.

I make cottage cheese pancakes or my favorite, small batch vanilla ricotta pancakes. The small batch makes 4 or 5 very small pancakes. I can eat barely 2 but it is great for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Love breakfast for dinner.< /p>

Once I was post op a year and nearly at goal, I made homemade French toast using whole grain bread with SF Syrup an fresh berries. I can eat about a half a piece but because they are quite eggy they can feel heavy for me. So I would rather ricotta pancakes....they are yummy!

You can eat any type of Protein for any meal, it makes it very interesting.....don't be afraid to hop on Pinterest to look for ideas. You can search and play with recipes moving carbs out and other sources in.

Lastly, I hope that someday my rack can look as good as @babbs........unfortunately the girls have left the building. Give me a few months! LOL

@@AmiLou,

Ideally, you should go with what your nutritionist said, but there are many possible reasons why it may not be working for you. In that case, you can try questioning your nutritionist. She or he may have given you the standard recommendations that she gives to all of her patients, but have other ideas that could work for you if you let her know that you’re bored.

It’s perfectly fine to question your dietitian. You said you’re not allowed to have bread, rice, or Pasta – but you didn’t mention if oatmeal was specifically mentioned. The reason I bring this up is because many or even most plans forbid or discourage bread, rice, and pasta…but allow oatmeal, even though it’s starchy. So, you might want to specifically ask about oatmeal, and you may be pleasantly surprised to find that it’s allowed. As @@Christinamo7 suggested, you’ll probably want to make sure you eat it with Protein, such as making it with milk, adding Protein Powder, and/or eating it with a Protein like cottage cheese.

As for the boredom…it looks like you’ve gotten a bunch of great suggestions! You have way more options if you don’t have to have “breakfast” foods for breakfast. Even if you do, you can be creative. You could make things like protein pancakes with cottage cheese and protein powder (there are a ton of recipes online), or any of those special bariatric products like protein Cereal or protein oatmeal that are also low-carb.

I am in week nine post surgery and really sick of eating eggs, yogurt, and Protein shakes. I still enjoy the fruit. I am craving carbs for the first time and broke down and bought the low carb Protein Bars on this website. Feeling very guilty about it. My dietician said to avoid rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and starchy foods altogether for the next six months when my weight loss will most significant. Is this one person's opinion? Can I eat a Protein Bar or oatmeal occassionally if it's in moderation?

AmiLou,

At week nine the most important things are Water, Protein and some exercise. Protein Shakes, bars, powders are all good and nothing to feel guilty about. You have to reach your protein goals any way you can tolerate. What tastes terrible now may be your favorite food in a month. It's very interesting how the body changes. If you are craving oatmeal, have it (I'm sure you won't be able to eat that much now). Just make sure you have your protein first.