Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel after? Are you hungry? Does food mess w/ your head?

Hi-

I am having the sleeve done on Sept. 13th. I have been thinking alot about my relationship with food and for the fisrt time, I am admitting that I have a problem with food. I am so scared that I am going to be hungry. What did you do to help your relationship with food and eating? How do you calm your mind down when the head games start? I feel like the mental part of this is going to be the hardest part to overcome. For all of you who have just started your journey and for those that have been traveling a while, what advice do you have? Thanks for any responses.

I have not had true hunger but yes your head can mess with you.

The best thing to do is make sure you take acid medicine. Sometimes acid can mimic hunger.

If you aren't sure if it's true hunger or head hunger drink some Protein. If the hunger goes away then it was true hunger if you still have that feeling then its head hunger. Best to come up with a plan, take a walk, start a craft or something to occupy your time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Before WLS, foood (sic) had a firm grip on my time, my thinking and my wallet. WWs and yo-yo dieting taught me to research and track everything I ate and I took that to the extreme (and not in a good way). I knew menus by heart, I planned my day so my lunnch (sic) stop could be somewhere new and interesting. I loved the feeling of full and couldn't help striving for it.

Now, I still plan my meals, but more for nutrition than satisfaction. I hate bring full, I can easily skip a meal if there is nothing that meets my dietary needs, and I don't think twice about it.

Instead of living to eat, I eat to live. WLS has broken the mental hold foood (sic) had on me and I'm thrilled.

I am 7 weeks post op and the for the first month, I never thought about food and loved that. Now I do think about food but mostly what I can have or want that will help me continue on my weight loss journey. So far, I have stuck to my plan and don't feel deprived. I eat out a lot while socializing and have found it easy to find something on the menu I can eat or adapt. Then when I begin to eat and realize, again, I can't eat much, eating just isn't much of a big deal anymore. This is a good journey so far!

I had my surgery 6 days ago. I was extremely addicted to food. Before surgery, sitting in front of the tv meant a bag of chips to go along. I've been doing a lot of tv watching after surgery because of recovering and I have missed the snacking. Sometimes I feel like I'm hungry, but I know I can't actually be. So I just drink something. This first week tho, I've drank like 1/4 of the carnation sugar free milkshakes for Breakfast, I drink Water all throughout the day with crystal lite lemonade (I like Water, I just found it to not get along with my stomach with the nausea. Nausea affected me much worse than other people), and through the day I might be able to finish a cup sugar free pudding.

I'm 3 weeks post op and the hardest part for me has been when I started pureed food(last Tuesday)I get full after a few bites and it does mess with my head. It's hard at first but it's getting easier. I'm not hungry, but it's just the thought that that I want to keep eating but I know I have to stop.

Head hunger is no joke. It's really played with me. It's a minute to minute struggle for me. I have always had issues with food. But post op, I definitely realized HOW many issues I have with food. It's like I've lost a friend. I know this will be worth it but I ain't gonna lie to you, it's difficult. I'm 12 days post op and I'm ready to fast forward some but I know I'm dealing. Right now. In the moment.

I'm only 6 days pro-op and I haven't felt really hungry yet. It has been hard because my husband and kids have been eating normally while im only on liquids. The food smells good but it passes quickly when I drink my liquids. I'm living for my 2 week post op diet right now just for some variety.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hey Marsse, I'm 10 days post op. No food issues. It looks and smells amazing but I know right now it would hurt going down hah. Other than that I enjoy the puréed food I can eat right now. I haven't felt hungry or full so far but from reading all the posts here it effects everyone differently. Mind can do crazy things. Woke up from a food eating dream this morning.

A little. Husband had Chinese food and I'm on the clear liquid phase. I had to leave. Went for a walk.

I was starving and highly upset I couldn't take part in that feast lol.... walking got the endorphins rolling felt better after my walk.

Edited by JazzyV

@@JazzyV crazy how our bodies are different I have not felt hungry at all and have been putting food and Water in my mouth because I know I have too :(

Aww that's probably not the best feeling either but personally think I'd prefer it. I was starving at that moment and knew Water or Soup would just piss me off.

Edited by JazzyV

I'm almost 5 weeks out and still not hungry. I get cravings for something but i know its all in my head. I do enjoy the smell of foods. I sometimes randomly open something to smell it and enjoy the smell but have no desire to eat. I've tried a few things but the only things that really appeal are ice Water, sf cherry popsicles and broth.

Sent from my LG-H343 using the BariatricPal App

I used to snack on one thing and then still be hungry and eat something else.. Still be hungry and feel guilty and helpless at the same time. Now I snack on some cucumbers, an apple or carrots and actually feel satisfied. Sometimes I feel like crying over how many years I have tortured myself with guilt or starved myself out of guilt.

I'm having mine in the same date and have the same problem. I'm preparing the house. I went out and bought premiere Protein shakes, prepared sugar free puddings, diet Arizona teas, Water filter pitcher...... If you want to travel together on this journey let me know. I get more nervous and more excited everyday it gets closer.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App