Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a sleeve to bypass revision because of uncontrollable GERD. When I was sleeved, I would drink until I took my first bite, have nothing while I was eating and then wait 30 minutes after my last bite to begin drinking again. I don't miss the liquid at all during my meals. Now that I have RNY, I follow the same rule. Drink up until my first bite, nothing with my meal and wait 30 minutes to resume drinking again. Contrary to others, I did try practicing during my pre-op and found that it was helpful.

@@Babbs, thank you for continuing to log on to support us rookies! I'm certain you've heard it before, but you are an inspiration... one we all need.

@@Unbridled

Awwwww Thanks! I need to take breaks from here periodically, but I always manage to come back, lol.

@@kmorri, hey thanks for the video! Makes total sense.

When my surgeon was drawing pictures and showing me diagrams of the new vertical sleeve, he mentioned that he uses a size 40 bougee. I wonder, after reading all these replies about how different surgeons recommend different drinking rules, if the size of the bougee and his particular surgical technique is the reason he and the NUT are so insistent on the 30/30/30 rule. Depending on where he got his training and the particular technique he uses... just makes me think he has this rule to match his surgical technique.

He has done over 4000 VSG surgeries. He ended with a comment that has stuck with me: "My patients who keep their weight off follow this rule for life."

I practiced the rule until today. I know I can do it. Today I started my pre-op liquid diet.

When my surgeon was drawing pictures and showing me diagrams of the new vertical sleeve, he mentioned that he uses a size 40 bougee. I wonder, after reading all these replies about how different surgeons recommend different drinking rules, if the size of the bougee and his particular surgical technique is the reason he and the NUT are so insistent on the 30/30/30 rule. Depending on where he got his training and the particular technique he uses... just makes me think he has this rule to match his surgical technique.

He has done over 4000 VSG surgeries. He ended with a comment that has stuck with me: "My patients who keep their weight off follow this rule for life."

I practiced the rule until today. I know I can do it. Today I started my pre-op liquid diet.

The video makes sense for people with a bypass. Just keep in mind that Sleevers still have a pyloric valve that is functional.

The pyloric valve... another reason I chose the sleeve over any other WLS.

My pre-op appt was 2 days ago, Friday. My NUT and my surgeon reiterated the importance of the 30/30/30 rule for life. My surgeon even went so far as to show diagrams and explain the mechanics of why I should never drink 30 minutes before eating, not drink for 30 minutes while I'm eating, then nothing to drink 30 minutes after eating. (1-1/2 hours of not drinking around each meal... seriously dude?)

I guess I was hoping they would change their minds on this rule because its a really tough one for me to follow.

When I left the office, I went straight to Kohls, with my 30% off coupon, and purchased a watch with a timer. I've been practicing this rule.

Hahahahahaha!

Ok.

I can't do it.

YET.

But I will by golly!

I know you vets can be trouble makers, (@LipstickLady) but I need some insight on this. Gimme your thoughts/experiences.

Surely it gets easier?

That time idea is a good one. I think I will have to try it as well. Thanks

The guy in the video is talking about a lapband. I had a sleeve, no such issue.

The video makes sense for people with a bypass. Just keep in mind that Sleevers still have a pyloric valve that is functional.

This is why my doc gives the instructions he gives. His only concern about drinking large amounts immediately before/during/immediately after is about capacity and not getting enough food in because I'm full of Water, or making myself miserable by drinking a lot right after a meal.

I am able to drink right up until I eat, really can't during, although sometimes I just sip to wet my mouth to help swallowing, But it usually takes me an hour after I eat before I can drink again. I just can't get any fluids down. This is a good thing since I have seriously cut back on my alcohol consumption, and I don't miss it!