Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Sizes: What do they even mean anymore?!?!?

I posted this in the ladies area because mens sizes are more standard and they don't have the issues we have.

When I was a size 28, I just wanted to be an 18. That was goal for years to just be an 18 like in college and I would be happy. Pre-op last year I decided I wanted to be a 12 because well, Gucci.

As I have been losing I have hitting lower sizes faster than I thought with my weight being higher than I thought, I have to re-evaluate what size I think I will be comfortable at. I have resolved all my health issues already so whatever weight I lose now is just a bonus.

I currently wear anything from a 14, sometimes a 12, and I can wear a juniors 13. The last time I was this size was in HS, but I weighed 40 pounds less. I'm pretty sure when I actually lose the 40-50 pounds I want to lose over the next year, I will end up a 10, a European size 10. Maybe even smaller after plastics. I know a lot of this has to do with the level of muscle mass I have, which I fight very hard to keep, by working really hard to keep my Protein up.

That was just the back story to my real reason for posting. I think women get too caught up in sizes and what sizes mean to us.

I spend 3-6 hours a week trying on clothes at least two times a month. I have to try on every single thing I buy, and wear it within 2-3 weeks because my body is changing so much and everything is shifting.

Clothing sizes vary so wildly by cut, material, and manufacturer, that the numbers are really meaningless. Even measuring yourself and going by your exact measurements is useless.

5a302c10a9ee45e22d4c0eb241cde818.png

Some stores have vanity sizing but a lot of clothes come from asia now and are cut much smaller. Also juniors sizing is very pervasive without it always being crystal clear that it is juniors sizing.

What was/is your goal size? Have you adjusted that goal? Are you smaller in the end than what you thought you would be? Do you wear a range of sizes even at a stable weight?

women's clothing sizes are all over the map. and even more confusing when you are wearing 1x, 2x, 3x, - some stores a size 24 is their 2x but in others a size 24 is a 3x or even 4x. I basically have 2 or 3 online sites that I know what size I am and by exclusively from them. So actually the idea of going shopping when the clothes I currently have are falling is very daunting because I know I will have to try on a lot of things in a lot of stores to figure out sizing.

@@OutsideMatchInside I haven't considered a size goal (yet). I don't remember ever being under a size 12 and I feel like I've been in the same sizes with a 50 lb range. I usually buy a 26/28 or 3X Top - but I've noticed many tops those sizes are running bigger lately (all from the same store) and had to get a 22/24 or 2X. I can wear a size 22-26 pants (no noticeable difference in fit) - all from the same store (Lane Bryant). I wear a 22 Short in a particular pair of Levi's I love - and a 24 Regular is extremely tight (same style). I never try anything on before I buy it which I guess I'll have to start doing once I start losing.

@@OutsideMatchInside

Always try clothing on. Your absolutely right. Clothing size mean nothing. just know some clothing may not fit your body type. Find what looks amazing for you. Its great when we have more options than lane bryant. Gives us an excuse to shop. I love it!. . :)

After I reached the point of Jr's clothing, I would go to the plus size parts of stores out of habit. i still looked at myself as a larger size.

Your sizes change so fast. It takes time for your body to settle into your new smaller package. I bought more expensive pieces once I reached goal.

I never had a size goal. I wanted to get off my c-pap and get healthy. once I hit maintenance it took time for my mind to adjust that I was a size 2 to a 4. (depending on the designer)

Enjoy Shopping!

I recently ordered from Victoria's secret, and I ordered XL after reading online that VS runs small.

Everything is too big :rolleyes: :angry: :D :lol:

@@OutsideMatchInside

love it! You know you lost weight when you return items to Victoria's secret.

I love Victoria's Secret. As I was losing I had the ability to hang out mostly in yoga wear as I am not currently working. A pair of yoga pants can fit you for a long time.

I found that VS tops however were a different issue for me and honestly their sizes can fit differently. I wear some larges that are too large and some larges that are too small. I was ordering a lot of their stuff on line and refused to take it back knowing I would likely fit into it in the coming month.

Dumping lane Bryant for me was the best NSV ever. I used to hate clothes shopping and now I love to try on things just because I can. LOL.

Also I found that if I buy clothing from anywhere, I tend to not return if it is too big or too small so trying things on really is the optimal way to purchase for us.

I have found the Calvin Klein and Anne Klein clothing fits me fantastic and I love their fashion sense. There I know if I buy an 8 Jeans or a 10 slacks they will fit. Or if I buy a top in a large it will fit just right. They seem to be consistent.

I have never had a size goal but never in a million years did I think I would go from a 24/26 to an 8. I cannot imagine what it will be like following my Abdominalplasty! Already with tops following my arm lift I can see I may have to go to a medium.

I'm not sure I really had a size goal. I just knew I wanted to able to ship the same stores off the rack my friends did. I just assumed I'd be a 14-/16, but I'm a 10/12 depending on the store

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I found this and I wanted to share it. I know a lot of people have issues with what styles suit them after losing weight.

732bb00e2ad63dfe697a8add9467dbe7.jpg

I just don't trust sizes anymore...

I just buy what fits... i have such a variety of sizes in my cupboard.. from size 8-16 australian.... i try not to look at the numbers, because they mean nothing now. I just try to wear what fits my body.

They just don't make standard sizes in the correct measurements anymore

Agree the sizes are all over the place.. I can fit a medium in this but a large in a different style... sometimes a xlarge shirt or a medium it just depends so I am gonna have to try on sizes ugggg I do not like shopping and the reason I know about the sizes is my daughter in law gave me a bag of clothes to save on buying I have pretty much refused to buy but the bare as I don't know where I am going to end up... and already donated a lot of money worth of clothing... and dont want to buy a bunch of things only to have to donate in a few months the weight is still falling off quite quickly.... and the docs told me expect to only lose 80 pounds or so LOL!! ummm yup I have far surpassed all expectations....

I truly cannot figure out what body shape I am. I just can't make that connection or recognize it. This is annoying. :/

Another good chart...

08036d11bc67fffe3167fd8e4a409900.jpg

I feel like this chart is being fake nice to me.

I used to wear XL in scrubs but now fit into M. I was so excited that I had never been a medium before, and then later I realized scrubs run large so in really a L. I don't trust the size listed on tags anymore, inches lost is more important. bmi.png