Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite Protein Shakes

My program was super specific about which shakes we are allowed to use during our 2 week pre op diet - which was sad because I really like the Atkins shakes but they didn't make the cut :(

I like the premier Protein and I am sticking with them - they are palatable enough and on sale at costco this month. Bonus!

I actually mix them with cold Decaf coffee - which makes them just about perfect for me

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My personal opinion and I am very very picky on Protein. All the powders gag me, it is the smell and the gritty taste and I don't care how well you blend it. I also initially had a lactose problem right after surgery so my nut and Bariatric nurse suggested Premier Protein ready made shakes.

They have 30grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and 160 calories.

chocolate is honestly my favorite and the only one I buy right now but I have tried the strawberries & creme and the vanilla. They are not bad, just a little too sweet for me. They also have new flavors, caramel & banana. I have not tried those yet.

I love the fact that I no longer have to deal with blenders or shaker cups or measure gritty a$$ protein. I am now two years post op and I still drink one every morning after my first 20 oz. of Water.

It works great for me and I can take them on the road. They are best served icy cold. They can be purchased at costco or Sam's in large pack quantities. costco has them on sale until August 28th for 6.00 off per case of 18.

You can also buy 4 packs at Walmart and some Walgreens stores if you want to start by trying them.

They have excellent protein compared to most.

I had some muscle milk that someone gave me, but after surgery I couldn't choke that down for anything, it was way too thick and sweet for me. I used the no-sugar added chocolate carnation instant Breakfast a lot in the beginning, because it was a lot lighter and easier to get down. I also used unjury... I love the chocolate splendor.. the classic chocolate I thought was just ok.. loved the chicken flavored one (tastes like cup-a-soup), and the unflavored one because you can add that to just about anything. The strawberry sorbet flavor is ghastly --- yuck! I also tried the Advantage EAS I think it was called.. that they sell at BJ's wholesale.. strawberry.. not a fan. I still drink the chocolate splendor and the nsa carnation instant bfast. I love to mix in a tablespoon or two of pb fit.

I ordered NutraBio unflavored Protein Powder from Amazon and it arrived today. I mixed it with cold Water and added Mio flavoring and it's great. I can't wait to try mixing it with broths/soups. I like the Premier shakes as well, but am tired of all my Liquid Protein having a sweet flavor.

I started with the Bariatric Advantage Protein powder and I could not take it! Worst aftertaste ever. I tried the chocolate Premier Protein and it is soooo much better. Went out and bought the vanilla and strawberry days later. I'm on the pre-op diet now too - good luck!

Edited by looneyluna

I like the Syntrax Nectar fruit juice flavored Protein powders, I like Pink Grapefruit and Fuzzy Naval the best. They mix best with Water that isn't really cold, plus I like Premier Protein too, but I don't care for the consistency, but I can drink it down anyway. Unjury is good too. I try to mix it up to get some variation.

Edited by ojibway

I like premade Proteins. Premier is really good, but I also really enjoy the Muscle Milk. I like those two the most just because they have so many flavors, so I dont feel like I am drinking the same thing everytime.

I also tried the premade Isopure Green Apple from GNC... REALLY GOOD! Reminds me of a green apple jolly rancher. It does have a funny after taste at first but nothing completely intolerable. The other flavors are not so good to me... but you may like them.

I really don't like the rtf liquid shakes. I can't stand the "cooked" flavor it has, due to heat processing. Syntrex Nectars are my favorite. I can mix them with Water or milk (I use Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk). No grit at all! Plus, there're about 15 different flavors so I never get bored. I have found luckyvitamin.com has the best price.

What Protein shakes did you like? Which ones did you hate? I like the Muscle Milk and I just tried the Atkins shakes because I am getting board of the Muscle Milk. Any other suggestions? I am in my pre surgery 2 week liquid diet.

Surgery Date: August 23

I like:

Premier

GNC Lean 25

Syntrax nectar

unjury

ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates