Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a low BMI (30-33) had sleeve surgery or will be?

I hate to be that person but i just cant fathom why anyone with a low BMI would want to do this?? I was running track at 200 lbs. It just seems like it takes very little effort to lose when you not morbidly obese. It just seems like there are so many other options.

Yep, first "nay" sayer has appeared ..... LOL

I hate to be that person but i just cant fathom why anyone with a low BMI would want to do this?? I was running track at 200 lbs. It just seems like it takes very little effort to lose when you not morbidly obese. It just seems like there are so many other options.

Not everyone that has a low BMI gets WLS because of the laziness of putting a "little effort"

I had wls at a BMI of 32, this was because i completely screwed up my metabolism from having the band.

I was a BMI of 23 and jumped to 32 in less than 12 months since having the band removed. Basically i can not eat above 800 calories without gaining.

My exercise and diet remained the same, i did NOT gain from lack of effort.

Please do not generalise without knowing peoples history or story, a blanket statement like that isn't useful to anyone.

And as you say, being 200lbs, you lose with very little effort, this may be the case for you, but you will find that weight loss is slower the lower BMI one is.

Edited by AussieGirl81

Hear hear @

Well said! She has to learn not to judge or form opinions about people and their situations she knows nothing about.

I'm barely 35, have the usual high bp, sleep apnea, pre diabetic, and terrible Migraines, tried every diet known since I was in my 20s, I'm now 55 and have surgery date of August 22.... I'm nervous but have no second thoughts. I need to do something....everything else has failed. I just want to feel good.....I'm tired of lugging around all this weight....ready for a change! :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

You have no idea how hard it is for us with lower Bmi. I believe it is just as hard, and just as easy to put the pounds back on. We just have less pounds, however the struggle is the same.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'm barely 35, have the usual high bp, sleep apnea, pre diabetic, and terrible Migraines, tried every diet known since I was in my 20s, I'm now 55 and have surgery date of August 22.... I'm nervous but have no second thoughts. I need to do something....everything else has failed. I just want to feel good.....I'm tired of lugging around all this weight....ready for a change! :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Im right there with ya, ramona5555. I have the same bmi and 57 yo. With HBP, i struggle with knee pain daily. No surgery date as of yet. Consult with surgeon on 8/31. Keep up posted on your progress, and good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

It wasn't long ago that I thought the same thing. Not to do with laziness or effort at all - just because it seems so drastic for only having to lose 50 lbs or less (and concern they'd lose too much). I've changed my mind(mostly). I still have concerns some are doing it for the wrong reasons and may go too far in the other direction (but that can be the case with higher BMI patients too). But I get it - I wasn't always obese. I weighed 145 in highschool (a weight I'd kill to be now) and thought I was a fatty! As I continued to gain every year regardless of what I did - I'd lose a little (ie. while on Phen Fen (dangerous)) but gain it all back (and a few more). I tried everything to lose without success and unfortunately waited until I was morbidly obese with several health problems to decide on surgery. I could have lived a very different life had I gotten surgery at 200 lbs. Although I still don't know if I'd go through surgery with a BMI lower than 30 and no comorbities (or PCOS) but that's just me. Hopefully anyone going through a major surgery understands what they're getting into.

Edited by KristenLe

@krakow57 Thank you so much for your message. That is awesome you are down 60lbs, 5 months post op! Good for you! Have your health issues improved? I would love to hear anything about your journey if you would be willing to share! Very interested in knowing how this go especially within the first few weeks post op

@@corr1970 so happy to hear your success story! Good for you!! Any info you have to share would be greatly appreciated as well!

@@Pinkberry2 as it was said earlier, everyone has their own story and it's definitely not fair to generalize or judge - you had the surgery as well for your own reasons... Also, that's awesome that you were running track at 200lbs!, I play softball on a national team and go to the gym 5 days/week... it still doesn't mean I don't have health and weight issues or body image issues. Hopefully you can try to appreciate and respect others decisions to do what's best for them. All the best to you!

I have no regrets, and I needed this surgery, because my weight started to spiral our of control in the past 2 years.

I was always slim before, and all of a sudden I gained over 90Ibs in 2 years!

As I said in my earlier post, I could see my weight doubling ......

I started having health problems and my self esteem was at an all time low.

I had to wait 9 months for this surgery due to my thyroid disease, and my thyroid had to be stabilised prior surgery.

For me, this surgery has been a life saver.

I have lost close to 60Ibs so far, all my labs are great now, and I can look in the mirror again.

I am not lugging 2 heavy suitcases with me every day, my health is getting better and better.

I do wish you well. Do whatever makes you happy if this is what works for you then best of luck! I didnt mean to come off judgemntal. I just have always viewed this surgery as a worst case senerior for severely overweight people. But it seems to be more of the norm now.

SD123,

Yes, I am really seeing results now. Early post op I didn't have too many issues. I woke up with a large drain on my left side, IV and had some pain, mainly at the drain site. Not everyone gets a drain, I had fair bit of oozing so had this drain. I had no nausea, was so glad to have something to drink finally. I was in the hospital for 3 days, and once at home I had all the stuff for the liquid phase. Sipping was bit uncomfortable initially, and I could feel liquid going down my oesophagus.

I had bit of nausea at times, took Zofran wafers, and had oxycodone for pain.

I found the liquid phase the toughest one, as I felt really hungry. I was surprised re this hunger, but I was still quite raw post op, and had fair bit of reflux, even with the prescribed PPI.

I had a couple of nasty experiences, one was waking up at 3 am, choking on and coughing up acid, burning, foul acid.

I elevated my pillow, and this happened again few days later.

I was told to stop drinking Tomato juice, especially in the evenings.

I also told my surgeon, and asked to be put on Nexium 40mg.

Nexium really helped with reflux.

The second scary experience was I started feeling faint, cold and clammy with racing pulse while I was driving. Lucky it was a short drive. Once I got to my appointment, the nurse on duty recognised that I was dehydrated. She gave me Hydralyte to drink, and I was fine 15 minutes later.

I threw up few times, too dry scrambled egg and after a fatty beef mince.

I had a terrible reaction to chocolate, reflux from hell! Maybe just as well.

Other than the liquid phase, other stages of purees, soft and mushies, then more solid food were much better to cope with.

I had few stalls, and I learnt through this forum that stalls are normal, and that my body will keep adjusting itself at its own pace.

I still have burps and wind post op. Did not have it before op. It will subside or be gone one day, especially once I get off the PPI.

I am just plodding along, my appetite is gone, don't feel hungry till late afternoons and at times I have to force myself to eat.

If there is anything else you would like to know, I'll be happy to share it.

My health problems are good now, my sugar levels are normal, and my liver is perfect now.

My hair is thicker, and my face looks 10 years younger!

So, I am just very happy that I had this surgery :)

Not everyone that has a low BMI gets WLS because of the laziness of putting a "little effort"

I had wls at a BMI of 32, this was because i completely screwed up my metabolism from having the band.

I was a BMI of 23 and jumped to 32 in less than 12 months since having the band removed. Basically i can not eat above 800 calories without gaining.

My exercise and diet remained the same, i did NOT gain from lack of effort.

Please do not generalise without knowing peoples history or story, a blanket statement like that isn't useful to anyone.

And as you say, being 200lbs, you lose with very little effort, this may be the case for you, but you will find that weight loss is slower the lower BMI one is.

Better to do something about it sooner than later right? That's like us (low BMI'ers) saying "we don't understand how you can gain so much weight & take so long to do something about it". To be honest there's no reason for anyone to be 600pds... Sorry. Heavier people lose weight faster than we do actually that why there's drastic weight loss for them, the weight moves slower for low BMI's so we actually HAVE to work super hard. I don't understand why anyone on this site would be harsh toward anyone. We are all here because we made bad choices & want to be healthier. I don't see a purpose for dissension on a "support group".

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

To be fair...I don't think @@Pinkberry2 was being harsh. She simply can't imagine going through WLS at a low BMI. We all have a right to our opinions. Rather than attacking back - help those who feel that way to understand better. Obviously, you are judging others as much (suggesting there's no reason anyone should be 600lbs). Different opinions don't equal dissension.

@ that's fantastic to hear that your health issues are improving and that you are seeing results! Your scary experiences definitely don't sound fun... I wonder if those are common? Did you find you were miserable the first/second week with feelings of hunger or not being able to eat solid foods?