Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metformin & PCOS

I would like to know if any ladies on this forum who have had the vertical gastric sleeve and have continued to take metformin since surgery to assist with pcos symptoms. I am currently 5 months and two weeks post op and on no medication. I was taking metformin for my insulin resistance prior to surgery but stopped after surgery. I am considering taking it again to help regulate my cycles now that I am almost six months post surgery. I am wondering if anyone can share their experience.

By the way my weight loss has been slower than most people. I have lost 50 pounds so far, 10 lost with the pre-op diet. My surgeon is happy with my progress and informed me that I am still within the normal range, even with my pcos diagnosis.

I am not planning TC until i obtain approval from my surgeon but my cycles have been all over the place since surgery. I was hoping that vgs would help regulate my period but I have not seen that just yet. I was thinking that perhaps taking met would help regulate my cycles and hopefully assist with my ovulation within the next few months.

I am scheduled to seemy gyn 8/15/16 and would like some feedback from any of you in a similar situation.

Thanks! ????????

Hi I would like to continue to get updates from you and from other women who have PCOS and have had the sleeve. I just got diagnosed and am currently taking metformin. I was told that having weight loss surgery will cure PCOS but have met women that said they still have PCOS symptoms and is having a hard time losing weight even with the surgery.

Hi Gina!

I can only say about my experience because I do not know many other women with my diagnosis. At this point I am 7 months post op and I have lost 60 pounds. My surgeon is happy with my progress at this point. I was not recommended to take metformin at this point . Instead, my surgeon and gyn both feel I should wait a year post op to determine if I need to take it. At this point they feel it is best to allow my body to adjust to all the changes and see if things can regulate on their own. I am still having irregular periods with more frequency than before. I was told that within the first year this is all normal. The surgery has been a big adjustment for me physically and emotionally. Yet, I feel is the best decision I made for my longterm health.

I would recommend you read the book a pound of cure or see the video links on youtube by Dr. Mathew weiner. He does a great job at explaining bariatric surgery and how it works. Also, he gives us tips on how we can be successful. There are several videos which are very insightful.

Regarding PCOS and bariatric surgery I think everyone's experience will be different. It also depends on what type of pcos symptoms are most dominate in your body and how your body reacts to surgery. I remember when I did my research I was conflicted between getting the sleeve or the gastric bypass. Ultimately, I went with my doctors recommendation. Yet, I remember many post saying the bypass was the way to go if one had a pcos diagnosis. Then I remember reading another article that said the outcome in decreasing symptoms was about the same with both surgeries. In the end you have to feel certain with the decision you make and have to feel it was the best decision you could have made for yourself.

I have PCOS and was sleeved on 9/19. My endo took me off Metformin as of surgery and told me not to go back on. I also went off trulicity (weekly injection). I am supposed to go back on Spironolactone, but my blood pressure is too low at the moment. I am losing weight already, which is great. I'm terrified of what is going to happen to my hair, since that was already a big problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Quickhorse congrats on your new life as a bariatric patient. As long as you make sure you keep up with the Protein recommendations as you progress your Hair loss should not be severe as a vgs patient. Generally hair loss is more severe with bypass not the sleeve. I have not lost much hair but I do make sure to eat 65-80 grams of protein a day. When i was sick with a cold and was not having much protein because i had no appetite and was just having Soup i noticed my hair was falling off. Three days later i was back on my normal food intake and noticed a difference with my hair loss. Best of luck!

I have pcos as well and this topic is intended for me lol. I take metformin xr among other things. Going to be sleeved October 24th

@@LMSWNYC Sorry I can't offer much in terms of an answer. I have PCOS, was prescribed Metformin a few years ago but it made me feel so bad I could only take it for a few weeks at a time. Eventually I stopped taking it and just dealt with not having a period. I had surgery 7/1, got my first cycle in over a year 8/20, then again on 9/22. I honestly thought it would continue to be irregular but I got 2 in a row around the same time. I am not taking Metformin or anything else other than Vitamins.

I noticed last month I was craving food like crazy I don't even know what-- I just wanted to eat. I thought my sleeve was stretching or something because I have not been hungry since surgery. I was just eating or snacking on something every hour! I tried to make sure it was all the right foods but there was 1 or 2 times that I slipped and ate some Cheetos or grabbed more than a few tootsie roll fruit chews at Planet Fitness. (Why do they have them there anyways?) My weight loss slowed down to like 0.8 lbs or 1 lbs a week for 2 weeks and then I got my period. I was so used to not having one for so long-- so I forgot what PMS feels like!

So now I'm being especially mindful of the upcoming week in terms of weight fluctuations, belly bloating, mild cramping, food cravings. I will increase my workouts over the next 2 weeks to help combat PMS symptoms.

CONGRATS on your weight loss so far. 70 lbs in 7 months is quite impressive and nothing to sneeze at!!!!!! That's an average of 10 lbs a month so great job!!! hang in there-- I think once your body gets to a weight that it likes-- it will finally begin to regulate. For some reason my magic number was around 215. I even noticed years before anytime my weight started going up into the 220's my periods would go absent. When I would drop a few lbs and head back into the 210's-215's range it would kick back on just like a thermostat.

Theres a magic number that's right for your body and when you get there your cycles may start becoming more regular. Good luck and keep up the great work!!!!!!!!

I was on Metformin for PCOS before WLS and went off of it the day before my surgery. My surgeon was concerned with low blood sugar since it wasn't prescribed for diabetes. Never went back on it after surgery. I am also off Spironolactone prescribed for PCOS and and acne.

I would like to know if any ladies on this forum who have had the vertical gastric sleeve and have continued to take metformin since surgery to assist with pcos symptoms. I am currently 5 months and two weeks post op and on no medication. I was taking metformin for my insulin resistance prior to surgery but stopped after surgery. I am considering taking it again to help regulate my cycles now that I am almost six months post surgery. I am wondering if anyone can share their experience.

By the way my weight loss has been slower than most people. I have lost 50 pounds so far, 10 lost with the pre-op diet. My surgeon is happy with my progress and informed me that I am still within the normal range, even with my pcos diagnosis.

I am not planning TC until i obtain approval from my surgeon but my cycles have been all over the place since surgery. I was hoping that vgs would help regulate my period but I have not seen that just yet. I was thinking that perhaps taking met would help regulate my cycles and hopefully assist with my ovulation within the next few months.

I am scheduled to seemy gyn 8/15/16 and would like some feedback from any of you in a similar situation.

Thanks! ????????

I had my baby 6 weeks before my surgery. I was put on birth control 2 weeks after surgery. Been off metformin since 2 weeks before surgery. My glucose is perfect

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

It's awesome to see posts from women who have PCOS and have had positive results from the sleeve. I keep having this fear that the sleeve won't work because I have PCOS. Fears suck am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Smdnght28 I had the same fear before surgery. The first 6 months of surgery you will lose the most amount of weight because your body will have through a drastic change. For me i have noticed after 6 months things slow down. This is when we really need to kick in gear with working out to keep things going. Especially for women like us with pcos. Which ever surgery you decide it will be a drastic change to your system and the weight will come off as long as you follow the nutritional guidelines.