Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im sure youve all read this a thousand times

Hi All,

Im 38 and had gastric sleeve surgery almost 2 years ago now. I originally lost about 80 pounds and have regained about 20 after having fallen into poor eating habits again...also I had been jogging until a few months ago and was finally getting back on track until my knee gave out (through MRI found that I have ostioarthritis in my knee and am bone on bone). I am now not only struggling with trying to find a good cardio solution but just getting back to getting my head in the game. Any tips/pointers, things that have worked for any of you to achieve your goals? Just looking for some support/encouragment that its still possible even years out of surgery. I am currently 225 and would like to be at 160.

Second question...is it possible to get back to feeling restriction again?

Third question..how does a person determine if they need a revision?

Thanks so much.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using the BariatricPal App

The only thing I can suggest is maybe find a place you can work out in a pool. We have a place near me that has treadmills and a bunch of other stuff in the pools to allow people who have a hard time working out on land to get the same advantage. Even if no equipment maybe just swimming or Water arrobics? I hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I am so glad you posted this, because the exact same thing is happening to me. I have found I can eat a lot more food and don't feel full, and so also have gained about 20 lbs. Then you get depressed because you have "fallen off the wagon" and eat more! I didn't know you can get a revision..would insurance pay for this? How would that work?

Currently, I am going to therapy to try to figure out why I can't control my eating, and hopefuly will stop from climbing up that ladder again! It also been 2 years for me and that seems to be the magic number where the sleeve no longer really works. I have tried everything, went back to shakes, lost like maybe 5 lbs, then as soon as I went back to food, gain it back. I also had a torn rotator cuff and am still recovering. I can do walking, but can't do not do the stair climbing and other weight training I was doing before. Simple walking my body just laughs at. You get to a point where you need to up your level, but when your body won't let you because of injury, its really hard to find that balance. Would love to hear of any solutions as well! Bless you, we can do this!!

Any tips/pointers, things that have worked for any of you to achieve your goals?

I plan my food in advance and pre-log what I am going to eat in MyFitnessPal. I weigh my portions. I focus on Protein dense foods and green veggies, with some fruit, dairy, tree nuts, and max one serving of whole grains per day. When I am trying to lose weight, I will often cut out the one serving of whole grains. I make sure I am in a caloric deficit. I do not eat back exercise calories. I keep off-plan food out of my house entirely.

Yes, but you need to focus on eating lean, dense protein, green veggies, high Fiber foods -- you won't feel restriction with high carb foods, sweets, most dairy.

Consult with a surgeon on that one. Honestly, from what I have seen here, people who are struggling with eating are struggling because they choose the wrong kind of food or choose to graze all day rather than restrict themselves to a schedule of meals and Snacks, not because their sleeve is too big.

Good luck!

You do have options for cardio.

Go to sparkpeople.com and livestrong.com and search for the sites' chair exercise videos. They have them for cardio and strength. You may want to register and find the Chair Exercise Team. The people will be helpful and there is a permanent thread listing resources, including DVD's. Livestrong probably has a chair group, too. Both sites have oodles of "teams" of all stripes.

Google the sadly-named Sit and Be Fit org. It has many DVD's. Your local public TV station might air their TV series.

I recall that there's a series of DVDs called Chair Dancing.

Search your public library's website for chair exercise dvds. They'll have a number in their own collection and, if you come across some elsewhere not listed at the library, they may be able to get them on inter-library loan.

Some gyms offer chair classes. The Y or community center is likely. Some private gyms do, too.

That's all that comes to mind now; what I knew goes back at least a few years. I guarantee nothing, but there are good leads in here.

Do something for me. When you next see others asking what you asked about, spell it out for the people.

Any tips/pointers, things that have worked for any of you to achieve your goals?

I plan my food in advance and pre-log what I am going to eat in MyFitnessPal. I weigh my portions. I focus on Protein dense foods and green veggies, with some fruit, dairy, tree nuts, and max one serving of whole grains per day. When I am trying to lose weight, I will often cut out the one serving of whole grains. I make sure I am in a caloric deficit. I do not eat back exercise calories. I keep off-plan food out of my house entirely.

Yes, but you need to focus on eating lean, dense Protein, green veggies, high fiber foods -- you won't feel restriction with high carb foods, sweets, most dairy.

Consult with a surgeon on that one. Honestly, from what I have seen here, people who are struggling with eating are struggling because they choose the wrong kind of food or choose to graze all day rather than restrict themselves to a schedule of meals and Snacks, not because their sleeve is too big.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! At this point, 2 years out...I am not even sure what my caloric intake should be and how it should be broken out in terms of how much protein to consume etc...any advice on this?

@@solea78 - I have osteoarthritis in both my knees also, and also have bone-on-bone in my left knee. After losing the initial 60 lbs., any knee pain I was having was alleviated. There are certain exercises that my knees don't tolerate, but have found I can do at least 30 mins. on the elliptical machine at the gym without any knee discomfort during or after exercising. There isn't any gym or Y close to home with a pool that would be convenient so doing Water exercises are not an option for me. I do walk on my lunch break most days during the week.

I concur completely with @@Bufflehead recommendations; they are sensible and on target.

I still have plenty of restriction with my sleeve, but have discovered which foods are slider foods for me and shouldn't be a regular part of my food plan.

We have a great tool to use to help control the quantity of food we eat as long as we continue to do the work of planning, logging, and exercising regularly (preaching to myself here :rolleyes: ).

The best to us all on this journey!

When I went for last appointment and I asked my doctor the same thing, I wasn't sure what I should be eating now. He sent me over to my NUT, who sat down with me and went over that now I can eat 1000 calories a day, but they have to be meaningful Protein calories. I also discovered slider foods I can eat and eat and I also avoid them. The problem when you have an injury, your PT will tell you one thing and you have to follow him/her to avoid further injury, Mine told me even the treadmill will damage my shoulder again till it is healed (because you swing your arms and a lot of people the grab the bar in front, which puts strain on the shoulder) I have worked myself up to 3 miles a day walking the dog (I have this wonderful leash that goes around your waist) and I don't even break out in a sweat. As your body gets used to it, you have to up it to make it work.

@@solea78 It's probably a good idea to make an appointment with your NUT. I'm sure they will be able to look at your current eating pattern and help you put a good plan together......that would be my first step. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your response! At this point, 2 years out...I am not even sure what my caloric intake should be and how it should be broken out in terms of how much Protein to consume etc...any advice on this?

As others have said, you would definitely want to check in with your dietitian. But until then, here are some good starting points/rules of thumb:

To maintain your weight, you eat your weight x 10 calories. So if you are at 225 right now, that would put you at about 2250 calories per day.

To lose 2 lbs per week, you want to be at a 1,000 calorie deficit daily, i.e., eating 1,000 calories less than your maintenance calories. So a starting point for you would be 1250 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week. To lose 1 lb per week, 1750 calories should do it. Again, these are all estimates -- you would want to test them out and see how they work for you.

When I am in weight loss mode, I typically set my macros on myfitnesspal at 35% Protein, 35% fat, and 30% carbs. Again, that is something you can play around with -- but in weight loss mode and eating that many calories, I would say for sure aim for a minimum of 100 grams of protein per day.

Good luck!

@@Bufflehead nothing to do w/ the OP's question but how does that rule of thumb work out as your weight gets lower? Let's say you weigh 155 and want to lose, that puts you all the way down at 550 calories/day?

I am guessing you adjust but just curious if you know the rule.

Hi. Have you tried swimming? I am sure someone already said that lol

Also as far as revisio goes, i would say that if you can eat more the 4-8 oz of solid Protein with co.fort then youay want to talk to your surgeon. Stop snacking! I a huge grazer and emotional eater. That is the biggest reason i am stalled now. I am not an MD so i could be way off, but if you need to talk things out or need support, contact me :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Yes, but you need to focus on eating lean, dense Protein, green veggies, high fiber foods -- you won't feel restriction with high carb foods, sweets, most dairy.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! At this point, 2 years out...I am not even sure what my caloric intake should be and how it should be broken out in terms of how much protein to consume etc...any advice on this?

My advice? Make an appointment with your NUT to talk about your specific needs.

@@higher yes it does, or you can exercise more, or choose to lose slower and eat at a 500 calorie deficit instead of a 1000 calorie deficit. And all of these are just starting points -- they generally work, but you need to play around and see exactly how they work in your body. For example, I should maintain at about 1450 calories by these guidelines, but I actually maintain at more like 1600-1700 calories. But I know other people who weigh the same as me but need to eat more like 1200 or they start gaining.