Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pissing off my boss

If you have sick leave or any leave which assuming you do since were planning surgery then I would get date and go to HR.

If you were planning on her charity in working around you for schedule because you have no leave and/or Fmla then I would push date back and caress her ego by saying you moved date for her and team. Then after she gives you written approval or confirmation of schedule and when you will be back on schedule I would talk to HR about her threat, your willingness to accommodate team needs, and desire that you will not face retaliation for health related time off.

Yeah I have enough time saved up between holiday, sick,pto& Vaca that I should get one full check. I will be out 4 weeks. Got my surgery date today, it's 8.22. I also got my letter to be off work from the dr. I'm taking it all to her tomorrow when I go in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Good luck. I swear you would think health care centers of all places would deal better with issues like this!

Good luck. I swear you would think health care centers of all places would deal better with issues like this!

LOL.

I loved working bedside as a nurse, but I have to say that the management to nurse relationship sucks rotten eggs. I was a mid-life career changer to nursing, from I.T. and I have never had the levels of disrespect in any other industry that I had as a nurse.

I gave my supervisor and the scheduling person 6 months' notice of my wedding. I needed three shifts off, and had the PTO built up. We only got our shift schedules about 10 days before the start of the next schedule, and that's when I found out they only gave me 1/2 of one shift off, and it wasn't even on my wedding day. I had 4 out of town guests in my own home before the wedding, and a dozen people coming from out of town. I'd already re-scheduled it due to scheduling conflicts as well as not being able to get off for it several months before.

I worked in the ER. Came in one night with what I thought was just allergies, but by a couple of hours into my shift, it was clear it was actually pinkeye. Was told they didn't have anyone to cover, and I had to finish my shift. WITH PINKEYE IN AN ER.

Short staffed for a shift? Does management come in to cover? Nope, they just add more patients to the nurses' loads. I worked in one ER where I carried TWICE the recommended load for patients, and they didn't adjust for when I had super sick patients for the entire shift because the ICU was in overflow.

That same ER when I hired on told me I was to work weekend shifts 1 out of 3 weekends. Then they proceeded to schedule me 5 weekends out of 6, and told me to suck it up.

And I had it much better than floor nurses.

Hug your nurses, they need it.

That's illegal! You cannot terminate for that reason.

Yup, I work in HR.

File your FMLA papers, your health comes first.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'd be careful with this. If you don't qualify for FMLA and you live in a right-to-work state, you can be terminated "without cause", meaning they don't have to give you a reason. I'm sad to say my job here in Nevada for a number of years was basically telling people "It's just not working out". Never any recourse, and we never lost a court case because we didn't give a reason. If we actually gave a reason, we'd have to defend that in court...so "it's just not working out" was the standard answer and we NEVER had any legal issues with it.

I (thankfully) am not in that position anymore. It wasn't fun, but it is legal in a right-to-work state like Nevada.

If you're truly understaffed, and you are skillful and valuable to your current company, then your boss probably won't seek termination and is most likely just posturing...so I wouldn't be too concerned unless it's your primary source of income or there is low demand for your field. Especially considering that, so long as you don't have any complications, you won't be out of work for recovery that long anyway...

Edited by smg

We are understaffed, there are only 3 ppl on nights who can do my job including me. But she has known I was doing this for just over a month and had the time to train someone new to fill in for me and hasn't taken the time to do it. TN is also a right to work state so I'm ready for the back lash of having this done if it comes to that. Thankfully this is not our families only income, my hubby works and that would do fine until I got a new job, there are also tons of factories and other dr offices I could apply at. I would really just like it to not come to that. I went in an hr early today to help her fill the shifts I need off for our current schedule, hoping that if I show her I'm trying to help fix the problem it will look good in my favor. I will be out for 4 weeks starting 8.21. The only down side to all of this is I could go back technically after a week if they would give me light duty, cause two of my three shifts a week are in the heart monitor room which is just a ton of paper work and watching rythms. But because this is an elective procedure hr won't let me come back till I can lift all my heavy pts. :( would save alot of ppl heartache if they would give me light duty tho.

Yeah unfortunately it's best I take the full 4 wks the dr tried to give me 6 :( but with as much and as often as I lift and I don't always get my shifts in the monitor room so I can be on the floor as much as she needs. Or with us being short we are all picking up extra shifts me included. We have a girl on days and she only took two weeks but said she wished she had listened to the dr and took the 4. So I think I'm just gonna play it safe and do that. Cause on nights the higher ups refuse to let us run two cnas no matter what the pt load looks like. My unit is a 19 bed unit and we could be full and they won't run 2 cnas. So with as many total cares that ends up on our unit I'd be doing it all alone.

I will also use up all my time I have saved from Vaca sick pto and holiday so far I'm up to 83 hrs. It will be slightly more once I go on leave cause I'll get a couple more hrs added to that since I get paid again before leave.

@@Kyn13 sounds like you have it handled well on your end. Nurses take the brunt of a lot and it also impact their quality and dedication when treated poorly. We all suffer. I hope for the best for your recovery and return.

It is very good advice to everyone to be careful with Fmla as does not always apply to you/your employer, not to mention your state employment issues! If anyone planning far out and have opportunity it is a good time to consider short term disability coverage if you can!