Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post Op...Hurting a lot

I had that pain as well. Take care and it went away!

@@Hiraeth Were you discharged already? You have to find a way to get in fluids or you will quickly become dehydrated. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, I was shocked that I was discharged this soon. I'm trying to sip but it's really hard. It feels like my liquid is having a hard time going down and once it hits my stomach, I feel sick. I hope this is normal.

@@Hiraeth Were you discharged already? You have to find a way to get in fluids or you will quickly become dehydrated. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, I was shocked that I was discharged this soon. I'm trying to sip but it's really hard. It feels like my liquid is having a hard time going down and once it hits my stomach, I feel sick. I hope this is normal.
As you know - I'm pre-op so not been in your shoes. It seems you were discharged fast though. Have you tried drinking things at different temps? Try some warm tea or broth? Hope you feel better soon!

As you know - I'm pre-op so not been in your shoes. It seems you were discharged fast though. Have you tried drinking things at different temps? Try some warm tea or broth? Hope you feel better soon!

I am drinking both broth and Powerade Zero, at the moment. My stomach seems to like the broth more than the Powerade, lol. Thank you! <3

Protein broth kept me going. And I was discharged with only one night stay.

Protein broth kept me going. And I was discharged with only one night stay.

I only stayed one night. As much as I wanted to come home, I don't think my body was ready.

It can be hard but I found rest the best cure and that was harder to come by in noisy hospital. Maybe do a phone check in with your team? I was surprised to have a nurse from my insurance plan check in with me and offer a home visit.

Ladies, you all just had a major surgery. We all talk about how wonder WLS is, and how we are all going to fee soooo happy and healthy that we forget sometimes that we just had a surgeon cut into our bodies, take out a major portion of a vital organ or rearrange our innards.

Yes, you will feel better-----soon, but not right away. Usually one's body is finally fully awake from the anesthia around day 3/4. That is when you feel like you just got run over by a bus.

What to do?

Stop bemoaning your aches and pains. Yes, it hurts. Yes the pain is real. Yes, it will ease.

Take a deep breath and remember the magnitude of the surgery you just had.

Do NOT give yourself unreachable goal or expectations for the first week.

Now:

Put your big girl/boy panties/briefs on and DO WHAT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO DO!!!

You HAVE to get your fluids in.

You HAVE to walk.

You HAVE to rest.

Start working on getting your Protein in.

The Protein and everything else will fall into place next week

We are here to support you in anyway we can. We really do care.

WLS is NOT easy. BUT, each and every one of you can do this. I know it. I promise you. I'm looking forward to following each of your SUCCESSFUL and joyful journeys. :)

NOW:

Get your minds wrapped around your WLS journey and------take one step forward----followed by another-----and another------and...

I'm

Ladies, you all just had a major surgery. We all talk about how wonder WLS is, and how we are all going to fee soooo happy and healthy that we forget sometimes that we just had a surgeon cut into our bodies, take out a major portion of a vital organ or rearrange our innards.

Yes, you will feel better-----soon, but not right away. Usually one's body is finally fully awake from the anesthia around day 3/4. That is when you feel like you just got run over by a bus.

What to do?

Stop bemoaning your aches and pains. Yes, it hurts. Yes the pain is real. Yes, it will ease.

Now:

You HAVE to walk.

You HAVE to rest.

WLS is NOT easy. BUT, each and every one of you can do this. I know it. I promise you. I'm looking forward to following each of your SUCCESSFUL and joyful journeys. :)

NOW:

Get your minds wrapped around your WLS journey and------take one step forward----followed by another-----and another------and...

I'm

You are so right. I was reading into so much about how happy people are that I guess I almost forgot that it's normal to hurt this much. I had a hiatal hernia fixed as well. So swallowing is a challenge. I'm so used to chugging my liquid, and now I have to stop myself because big gulps hurt. So now I'm sipping slowly. It's challenging to do since I'm so used to drinking fast.

This would be so much easier with a straw, but I'm not allowed to use one because it sends gas into the stomach. :(

Does broth have protein? I can't drink Protein shakes until next week.

Thanks for believing in us!

What to do?

Now:

You HAVE to walk.

You HAVE to rest.

NOW:

I'm

Thanks for the reality check! I definitely got caught up in everyone's success stories and forgot that it will take time to heal! I did go on a walk earlier this evening. It felt really good.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

You are so right. I was reading into so much about how happy people are that I guess I almost forgot that it's normal to hurt this much. I had a hiatal hernia fixed as well. So swallowing is a challenge. I'm so used to chugging my liquid, and now I have to stop myself because big gulps hurt. So now I'm sipping slowly. It's challenging to do since I'm so used to drinking fast.

This would be so much easier with a straw, but I'm not allowed to use one because it sends gas into the stomach. :(

Does broth have Protein? I can't drink Protein shakes until next week.

Bone Broth is high in protein.

I also had a difficult time at first taking small sips (as I've always been a guzzler). I'm happy to report to you that I'm now 3 weeks out and can drink quite a bit of liquid in a short period of time. Not quite like before but close!

Does broth have Protein? I can't drink Protein shakes until next week.

Bone Broth is high in protein.

I also had a difficult time at first taking small sips (as I've always been a guzzler). I'm happy to report to you that I'm now 3 weeks out and can drink quite a bit of liquid in a short period of time. Not quite like before but close!

Thanks so much! It's so hard to get the required 64 oz a day when swallowing is this hard. I'm going to try drinking Powerade zero from a shot glass to see if that helps.

I had my surgery on 8/3 seem to be doing OK the day after but then yesterday where they had the liquid drain it out was extremely painful and they had to take it out now I'm running a low-grade fever or. Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This all sounds so terrible.

I was having a pain under my left ribcage that was pretty bad. But it was more of a spasm type pain that went away after a few seconds. I called my Dr about it and the nurse asked a few questions, told me to take Milk of Magnesia and it should get better. Well, low and behold she was right! Seems it was something pretty common and I was thinking the worst!