Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can happen if I cheated on post op diet?

I ate a small piece of meat 6 days after surgery. 3 days after I ate a small taco.

What can happen to me?

My friend says they probably didn't do my surgery right if I was able to eat.

What do you guys think?

Mind you I wasn't able to eat for the first 5 days.

I have heard differs people say similar things. I think it really depends on the person. I was physically unable to eat for a few weeks. Even liquid was extremely difficult. Also my surgeon use the smallest bougie (stomach) size to create my pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've seen varied posts from vets to other newbies in response to threads like these. And just like the vets, I'm not going to sugar coat it.

That was very unwise.

Even if you CAN eat something like that, doesn't mean you should. Your body just underwent a very traumatic thing, and is still healing. You should be following your doctors plans to the letter when it comes to post-op diet. For at least the first month you won't be able to (most, not all) feel extreme hunger, or fullness. Meaning you could overeat and cause a leak, perforation, or damage. There's a reason most surgeons have you on liquids for the first two weeks post-op. Then you gradually in soft foods and others as the time progresses. You being able to eat those things now does not mean the surgery was unsuccessful.

I won't echo what most say about commitment, because I do fully believe that some people are just not always fully aware of the harm they could be causing. However, you signed up for this surgery and had it done. You need to realize that your eating habits have changed, and you cannot just jump right back into food.

I'm 3 days away from being 2 months post-op and I only JUST had my first taco (made with ground turkey, and a cheese shell--no carbs) this week. I could only eat one, and that was enough for me. At 6 days you should still be focusing on getting in liquids.

If you find you're confused or don't know what you can or cannot have, talk to your surgeon and nutritionist. That's what they're there for.

I ate a small piece of meat 6 days after surgery. 3 days after I ate a small taco.

What can happen to me?

What do you guys think?

Mind you I wasn't able to eat for the first 5 days.

You could get a piece of meat stuck in a staple line causing a massive infection and possible leak. You could vomit and cause a complication. Your surgery was done properly - it doesn't stop you from eating - that's your brain. I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it's extremely dangerous to eat off plan - especially a few days post-op.

@@MissKay not uhhhhh to hijack the thread or anything but a taco shell made out of cheese? Where did you get that? I need to know!

So part of your stoimach was cut off and it was stapled shut. Do you understand this? This is abig deal. It needs to heal. Healing like this takes more than a fews weeks or even a few months. Not folfollowing your plan so early on not only shows a lack of commitment and education but could lead to very serious and potentially liufe threatening complications. THIS IS NO JOKE. You need to follow your plan strictly

@@Little Bee....The post-op eating plan is not a "diet"...........it is a prescription. Not following it, is like not taking a prescribed medicine that will allow you to get better. You just had more than half of your stomach removed. Unfortunately you can't see the trauma to your stomach on the outside....the little skin incisions on your abdomen my look pretty good but the huge staple line you have on the inside is raw and needs a long time to heal. The complications that eating solid foods too soon are very very serious up to and including life threatening. I suggest you contact your surgical team and discuss what you've eaten with them so proper follow-up can be done. I also suggest that you look up a few YouTube videos of the actual gastric sleeve surgery and watch them....this will help you have a very clear picture of what was just done to your insides and hopefully help you understand it needs time to heal.

I truly hope for the best for you. Please contact your surgical team.

The post-WLS diet phases should have been explained to you.

If you have no written guidance contact your surgeon's office or do an internet search for instructions from reputable sources.

Tacos and meat, less than one week post-WLS?

That wasn't a very wise decision. You should avoid solid foods like these until the appropriate phase, just as you should avoid activities such as kick boxing right after surgery. :)

I just want to say I don't understand why you would "cheat" only 6 days out. If you are cheating that soon out were you truly prepared for the changes you need to make in order to be successful. I say this not to be mean, but the sleeve is merely a tool to help you with your weight loss goals. It is not you have the surgery and you will lose weight. I had my surgery 4/13/16 I have lost 53 pounds to date. I have attended several local support groups and there are several people who have said they wish they had taken it more seriously that having the sleeve surgery was a tool. They did not lose as much weight as they wanted, they admitted that they didn't eat like they should have they did not follow the advice of their surgeon.

I try to learn from others mistakes. I follow my diet/ surgeons advice exactly. I work out everyday for an hour and a half. I went into this with a goal in mind. I have heard many say it is harder to lose the weight after 1 year out so my goal is to reach my goal and do all I can to reach that goal before my 1 year anniversary. I think you need to look carefully what your goals are and find a way to accept the changes you need to make to reach your weight loss goals. Good Luck

@@MissKay not uhhhhh to hijack the thread or anything but a taco shell made out of cheese? Where did you get that? I need to know!

Hahaha I got the idea from this awesome vsg youtuber named Clusie who has a channel and she did a vlog of her trying it out. You basically just take shredded cheese and put it in a non-stick skillet in the shape of a circle and wait for it to melt and harden just enough to flip it. Then wait again. To get the shape of a shell, I put two metal kabob sticks on top of glasses, and then folded it over the sticks and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It was literally just a shell out of cheese and tasted amazing.

The meat, especially if it wasn't chewed extremely well, can cause a blockage. The taco is even more worrisome because of the sharp edges from the shell. The taco could also potentially cause blockages. Particles can also get caught in your suture/staple lines and cause infection.

Your friend is wrong. Just because you can eat doesn't mean your survey was done wrong. You don't necessarily have a lot of feeling in your stomach so close to surgery. You can cause a lot of damage overeating so early out because you don't always feel when you're full.

Take a step back, go back to your prescribed eating plan, and think about why you went off plan. Make a plan for when you get tempted again.

I've seen varied posts from vets to other newbies in response to threads like these. And just like the vets, I'm not going to sugar coat it.

That was very unwise.

Even if you CAN eat something like that, doesn't mean you should. Your body just underwent a very traumatic thing, and is still healing. You should be following your doctors plans to the letter when it comes to post-op diet. For at least the first month you won't be able to (most, not all) feel extreme hunger, or fullness. Meaning you could overeat and cause a leak, perforation, or damage. There's a reason most surgeons have you on liquids for the first two weeks post-op. Then you gradually in soft foods and others as the time progresses. You being able to eat those things now does not mean the surgery was unsuccessful.

I won't echo what most say about commitment, because I do fully believe that some people are just not always fully aware of the harm they could be causing. However, you signed up for this surgery and had it done. You need to realize that your eating habits have changed, and you cannot just jump right back into food.

I'm 3 days away from being 2 months post-op and I only JUST had my first taco (made with ground turkey, and a cheese shell--no carbs) this week. I could only eat one, and that was enough for me. At 6 days you should still be focusing on getting in liquids.

If you find you're confused or don't know what you can or cannot have, talk to your surgeon and nutritionist. That's what they're there for.

I needed that. 2 wks post op, and I want to eat more than just liquid. Constantly working on my mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I am 6 days post op and would never dream of eating meat or a taco. I am gonna put this as nicely as I can...Have you lost your mind???

What you can do is cause a rupture of your staple line! That can cause death.

You need to do what your Doctor says and only what he/she says!!

Good luck!

Wow, trying to blame your surgeon BC you COULD disobey your post-op diet rules?

If something goes wrong now, this is NOT your surgeon's fault.