Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem I am having choosing a protein shake

I am hoping you are able to help me with a problem I am having choosing a Protein Shake. I am 13 months post op and you would think I would have that down to a science by now. But I am trying to look for something new to get in all my required Protein since I'm not doing it through food. The shake I have been using for the last year (Slim Fast), while great tasting, is higher in calories and other things that I think are too high. I started using whey Protein Isolate but then found out it is derived from milk and I am lactose intolerant. I investigated soy protein which can cause Constipation (which I frequently have trouble with anyway) Can you suggest something high in protein but not geared to building muscle mass? So many of those are outrageous in calories and carbs. Really need help with this, so all information would be greatly appreciated. I must get in more protein, ASAP!!

Finding a good one is hard. I recently started on the chocolate premeire Protein and they are not bad. I find that blending them with half a frozen banana helps the taste.

I also recently found that the Atkins Lift Protein Water is quite tasty (after watering it down a touch)

I used Muscle Milk Light (vanilla Creme) and blended it with Water and added a half a banana in the blender. It is lactose free.

There are two other options:

Since you are 13 months post-op, you might transition to Protein bars. Quest makes a good Protein Bar and they come in a very wide range of flavors.

If you concentrate on consuming high Protein meals, you might begin to offload your requirement for protein supplements. Your daily protein requirement is met by the protein derived from meals combines with the protein from supplements. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. As my meal volume increased from 2 ounces per meal to 1 cup per meal over the first year and a half, I was able to reduce my 3 Protein shakes a day, down to 2, then down to 1, and finally to none.

If soy Protein doesn't work and whey Protein doesn't work, I would look into something rice or pea based. This is a good vegan choice that my NUT actually uses herself -- http://amzn.to/2apwPQu

Premier Protein ready made shakes. I was lactose intolerant after surgery and this is what my Bariatric team recommended.

They have 30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and 160 calories in an 11 oz. shake.

I will just call out that it is best that you try to get some of your protein through your food. Have you just not had any luck with foods?

I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) and blended it with Water and added a half a banana in the blender. It is lactose free.

There are two other options:

Since you are 13 months post-op, you might transition to Protein bars. Quest makes a good Protein Bar and they come in a very wide range of flavors.

If you concentrate on consuming high Protein meals, you might begin to offload your requirement for protein supplements. Your daily protein requirement is met by the protein derived from meals combines with the protein from supplements. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. As my meal volume increased from 2 ounces per meal to 1 cup per meal over the first year and a half, I was able to reduce my 3 protein shakes a day, down to 2, then down to 1, and finally to none.

I've been eating Protein Bars since the beginning. But there is always something (at least for me) that is not right with them. Usually too high in calories or sugar alcohols, which my particular doctor and nutrishinist say to TRY to avoid in great amounts due to gastric distress issues. Again, this may just pertain to me, but I was also told from the beginning that my "fat from calories" number shouldn't be higher than 35. Now THAT is hard to find. There are so many things I have to look for that maybe others don't. I probably obsess ove calorie count too much, but there's always that fear of "too much". And the FEAR of backsliding is never far from thought. Maybe I'm one of a kind. Thanks for the input.

Premier Protein ready made shakes. I was lactose intolerant after surgery and this is what my Bariatric team recommended.

They have 30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and 160 calories in an 11 oz. shake.

I will just call out that it is best that you try to get some of your protein through your food. Have you just not had any luck with foods?

I used to use Premier and they were fine, but I just preferred the taste of the Slim Fast caramel latte better. I only noticed just today that my Slim Fast ones contain milk. :( I don't eat enough food to get the proper amount of protein, so shakes and bars etc. are a must. Thank you for your input. It's appreciated.

@@Cassie111

Honestly slim fast are definately not the best option. Also don't know if you know it or not but the premier Protein just came out with a caramel and a banana shake.

Maybe give them a try?

I use Quest Protein powder and Quest Protein Bars.< /p>

Walmart is now selling Quest products.

GNC sells sample packs of all of the Quest Protein shakes. That way you can try several before investing in a tub.

Good luck.

Finding a good one is hard. I recently started on the chocolate premeire Protein and they are not bad. I find that blending them with half a frozen banana helps the taste.

I also recently found that the Atkins Lift Protein Water is quite tasty (after watering it down a touch)

I'll try watering it down. I was not a fan on the taste, but I'll try it again with your suggestion.

I do the same by adding a banana. I add ice also and throw it in the blender tastes like a smothie. Do the same with premier vanilla and it taste like a shake.

Mrs. Marrufo Phone :)

I have the absolute best one it is found at Kroger and Publix and Speedway . it's made by Shamrock farms and it's called muscle Rebuilder chocolate. It's actually in the milk section and it is awesome

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

i really like the GNC lean 25 ..the tatse is sooo good not chalky at all and i would find easy GNC locations easy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App