Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People are starting to ask me

So Im 5weeks post op tomorrow and I have lost near 40lbs all together. My weight loss is noticeable and people are starting to ask me what I have done to loose weight. I notice that I dont mind telling people am close with but with others I feel uncomfortable. What did guys say to people when they asked you how you lost the weight? Im confused on what to say.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I told them the truth and the whole truth, unless we were in an awkward situation that prevented a long conversation (I had someone ask me that question in the receiving line at a funeral, for example).

I would just say, "I had a weight loss surgery called sleeve gastrectomy. It's a permanent surgery that restricts the amount I can eat. I am eating a very low carb and low calorie diet and exercising, too."

Most people thought it was great and congratulated me. I had a few follow up wanting more information and ended up getting surgery themselves. There are so many myths in our culture about weight loss, most prominently that anyone can lose weight if they just have enough moral character and willpower, and it's a shameful cop-out to get surgery. I didn't want to perpetuate the myth, so I spoke openly about my choice. I only had one slightly negative comment and it wasn't one I took particularly seriously.

All that said, I'm in a great position at work and in life generally where it's hard for anyone to hurt me. Negative comments or gossip can pretty much roll right off my back. So, I am privileged to be able to talk about medical stuff without having any real repercussions come from it. Not everyone is in that situation.

Unless I know them well enough to know they are going to react in a not great way I've just been telling everyone. I've had really great conversations about it, people seem curious for the most part. A surprising number actually already have friends and family who've had some kind of weight loss surgery.

I'm actually pretty private and either keeping it short "I'm dieting and working out" or "I'm doing a high Protein, low carb, low sugar diet". If anyone asks for more details I tell them about drinking shakes and basically what my real diet is. (I just leave the surgery part out).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm preparing to say diet and exercise.

I had a coworker that did some kind of program where she drank lots of Protein shakes and once she got to get ideal wt she eats meats and veggies. I think it was called ideal Protein. She lost a ton of wt fast.

I'm actually pretty private and either keeping it short "I'm dieting and working out" or "I'm doing a high protein, low carb, low sugar diet". If anyone asks for more details I tell them about drinking shakes and basically what my real diet is. (I just leave the surgery part out).

Exactly!!!

I kept it simple.

I told them the truth.

Telling them that I lost 200 lbs from just diet and exercise just didn't sit right with me.

It's now a non-issue.

Everyone's perspective is different. Everyone knows how loved ones or ppl around them will respond. Saying diet and exercise is not a lie. But hey..... beating a dead horse

I told them the truth and the whole truth, unless we were in an awkward situation that prevented a long conversation (I had someone ask me that question in the receiving line at a funeral, for example).

I would just say, "I had a weight loss surgery called sleeve gastrectomy. It's a permanent surgery that restricts the amount I can eat. I am eating a very low carb and low calorie diet and exercising, too."

Most people thought it was great and congratulated me. I had a few follow up wanting more information and ended up getting surgery themselves. There are so many myths in our culture about weight loss, most prominently that anyone can lose weight if they just have enough moral character and willpower, and it's a shameful cop-out to get surgery. I didn't want to perpetuate the myth, so I spoke openly about my choice. I only had one slightly negative comment and it wasn't one I took particularly seriously.

All that said, I'm in a great position at work and in life generally where it's hard for anyone to hurt me. Negative comments or gossip can pretty much roll right off my back. So, I am privileged to be able to talk about medical stuff without having any real repercussions come from it. Not everyone is in that situation.

I have been open with the few people whom have ask me lately but I feel like there are a few people whom if they ask me I wouldnt like to tell them the truth. A side of me feels that is ok to just say it another side I guess dosnt want to get judged.

I'm actually pretty private and either keeping it short "I'm dieting and working out" or "I'm doing a high Protein, low carb, low sugar diet". If anyone asks for more details I tell them about drinking shakes and basically what my real diet is. (I just leave the surgery part out).

Thats what I was thinking of doing but I feel guilty that Im not saying the whole truth.

I kept it simple.

I told them the truth.

Telling them that I lost 200 lbs from just diet and exercise just didn't sit right with me.

It's now a non-issue.

A side of me feels like thats what I should say another side of me feels like I shouldnt because there is people that look at wls as the easy way out.

I do this. I've had a few people try my "diet" and are surprised by how effective it is even without the surgery.

I kept it simple.

I told them the truth.

It's now a non-issue.

A side of me feels like thats what I should say another side of me feels like I shouldnt because there is people that look at wls as the easy way out.

True.

Many of those people are simply ignorant and may benefit from a truthful conversation.

Some won't. You may not be able to help them but you will maintain your integrity.

It is a very personal situation. You have to decide how to play it.

I am envious. I am 6 weeks out and not has soul has noticed. Even the girls at the bank. I went from a size 16 to a 12. You think I would get a compliment or something. I think I am gonna get my hair cut, that always draws comments. :P What I am most excited about is Cancun in December. My favorite Aunt is going with me. I was 215 the last time I saw her the day before surgery. I will see her again in December. She doesn't know about my surgery. My goal is to have a beach body by then.

If the person asking is someone that I know has struggled with weight, I always tell the whole story. Surgery combined with high Protein diet and exercise. I feel that is respectful way to treat someone who has also battled weight and the health issues that come with it. If I don't know the person, or I get a creepy, judgmental vibe, I make a decision. Is telling this person the whole truth helpful? If it isn't helpful or it isn't worth it, I still tell the truth, but I use a shorter version. "I've done a whole bunch of things to change my lifestyle."

Hope this helps.

If the person asking is someone that I know has struggled with weight, I always tell the whole story. Surgery combined with high Protein diet and exercise. I feel that is respectful way to treat someone who has also battled weight and the health issues that come with it. If I don't know the person, or I get a creepy, judgmental vibe, I make a decision. Is telling this person the whole truth helpful? If it isn't helpful or it isn't worth it, I still tell the truth, but I use a shorter version. "I've done a whole bunch of things to change my lifestyle."

Hope this helps.

I get exactly what you mean and it did help. I actually decided on my wls from a friend who did it and told me her surgeon and all.