Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so ready for this surgery. Although the wait seems so long. Waiting on insurance to approve it so I can move forward. I find myself in tears reading many posts on here. Next June is a potential date for me and it seems like a world away. Anyone else in the same boat?

Sent from my LG-H810 using the BariatricPal App

@@purpleangel3381

I know! I felt the same way. My 6 month process took 9 months and I was very sick at the time. In the beginning things went so fast and before I knew it the team was submitting for approval, then I found out 3 weeks later they never submitted and I was literally bawling like a big ole baby.

I think I scared the heck out of the nurse because she immediately submitted my paperwork and within 2 hours I received an approval and was scheduled for surgery. Then I started crying again because I was so happy.

Like you I was beyond ready and had done a lot to set myself up for success and even though I was working hard to lose weight I wasn't losing and I was frustrated.

The good news is, you have time to work on all of the things you need to. If you smoke, quit now. If you drink soda, quit as soon as you are done getting past smoking. If you drink caffeine have a plan to quit long before surgery and you may find you don't go back and that helps with weight loss.

Start removing the distractions while you eat. This one was the hardest for me and even now there are times when I find myself distracted. When I get distracted now however I find that i don't eat and that's a problem because then I am hungry and will find myself snacking when I don't really need to do that.

Slowly start to think about not drinking while you eat. It's another hard one and at least for bypass it is for life. Drinking while you eat causes you to push food through your system faster making you hungrier. If you do it early on post op you can push food into the stoma that is too big and that can cause a blockage or stricture.

If you are not exercising today, start by walking a little each day. If you are immobile start doing chair excercises. This helps get things moving.

If you have junk like prepackaged foods in your cabinets get rid of them. You will have the best success by cooking your own food. If you don't cook think about taking a basic class. You can take a lot of them on line these days.

There is a lot you can do to ready yourself for long term success now and it will keep your mind occupied while you wait.

Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy! Life is grand for me on the other side. I am so much more healthy and mobile compared to life at 310lbs. All my comorbitities are in remission.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out!

Yes, I am probably looking at a date next summer as well. I completely agree with what Djmohr says, we can use this time to our advantage and start making important changes now. And remember, the time will pass no matter what. We can't make it go faster, we can only control what we do during that time. Hang in there!

How come you can't have the surgery until next June?

So you had to get approved before you could do your six months? Ah, that's a little different from mine. I have to do the 6 months first and then toward the end the surgeon submits to insurance for surgery approval. I'm hoping December. :)

Im still in the very early stages of learning whats going on. Still a little clueless on all the details. Yay that's exciting news. December will be here before you know it.

Ready for a brand new life <3

I recently decided that bariatric surgery is the best option for my weight loss journey, however I have to also go through the 6 month pre-op as part of the approval process for my insurance company. In addition, I want to take as little time as possible off from work and my employer currently shuts down for 2 weeks every year in December. That being said, I'm looking at another 16 months...

Just gives me more time to focus on getting my mind in the right place.

For me it has been such a tough journey. I started a year and a half ago well may be more lol. I had lapband surgery 2008 however only lost roughly 30 lbs and than gained it back and than some. About a year and a half ago i told my pcp i need this thing removed and i was ready for the sleeve. I had done all the research. My pcp disnt want to refer me to a bariatric dr and to not make it so long fired my pcp and got me a new one. Come jan this year i had my new pcp and the referrals started coming. Had to do the 6 month diet and had surgery date july 12 for the removal of the band and i got laid off june 23rd. Lost my insurance. I applied for medical and got approved . My drs medical assistant is so on it had approval for new bariatric dr within a week got so lucky got one good dr and i have new date for band removal for August 15. After they remove my band i have to wait 2 to 3 months for the sleeve to happen. Today when i got home i received a letter from medical and I might be loosing it so i find out in a week. My heart is broken i am so ready to loose this weight its not easy being over weight and having to struggle to get it approved. I diet and start doing good but than i come to a stahl that cant be broken. I know with the surgery is jot going to be an easy way out but its a big tool one can use.

Best of luck to all hope its not as rough as mine

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's a very emotional process. I have been waiting for like 3 years for this. I haven't had insurance till not long ago. No way I can afford it all out of pocket. So starting to save now for what costs my insurance wont cover.

Ready for a brand new life <3