Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Kaiser and live in Coachella Valley but having my surgery in San Bernardino . It has taken me a year to get a surgery date! I went to the surgeon this week at Kaiser Redlands Dr. FEDORKA. My surgery isn't until January 2017. I started the process last September. Kaiser is backlogged . The surgeon said they have hundreds of patients . I'm so frustrated by how slow it has been. My suggestion is do everything they ask and start losing weight . If you don't comply they are glad to have you wait. Go to every class and appointment .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using the BariatricPal App

Same thing with Kaiser on the East coast. My hospital just went from two surgeons to one. Mine left so now I don't get to see a surgeon anymore (I had RNY in June and haven't seen her since the day after the surgery). Whole process took 18 months for me, though 2 months were added because they wouldn't schedule me until my A1C was below 7 and some seriously med adjustment took place (where I gained back 80% of the weight I lost but they attributed it to the new meds and new birth control).

Well sad update guys...gotta put a hold on surgery. I found out after my consultation that I have to pay $6,850 before they do the surgery...I unfortunately don't have stacks of money laying around so hopefully with taxes. We are also looking into adding me to my husbands insurance since they cover the surgery as well. But for now it's a no go...very emotionally draining day.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So sorry to hear that the process is so challenging in Southern CA and on the East Coast. I have Northern CA Kaiser and it has been a quick and seemless process. KP is know for being great here in NorCal, but the reputation is poor elsewhere. :-/.

Well sad update guys...gotta put a hold on surgery. I found out after my consultation that I have to pay $6,850 before they do the surgery...I unfortunately don't have stacks of money laying around so hopefully with taxes. We are also looking into adding me to my husbands insurance since they cover the surgery as well. But for now it's a no go...very emotionally draining day.

Oh man! Really sorry to hear that. Hard to image that is the before surgery amount. I called this morning and the Kaiser portion isn't that bad (less than $1500 total) but the total at St. Joseph's is $14k for the bypass and that is based on me having 50% co-insurance for the bariatric benefit and there is no out of pocket max or deductible applied to this benefit. St. Joe requires me to put $2k down and apparently pay for the remaining $12k over 18 months. This is still ridiculous . Now both Kaiser and the hospital have financial assistance plans but apparently consider bariatric surgery as cosmetic. I am in open enrollment right now and may switch to Aetna because I understand it is treated as any other surgery so my out of pocket max would be $2500 which is so much more affordable. I really like my treatment at Kaiser more than Aetna in the past but that's why this decision is so troubling for me. I am approved for classes finally beginning in 2 weeks. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to get your surgery done and maybe your husband's insurance will help you keep your cost down.

Edited by Dymeond

Yes he has Aetna as well and I think we are going to add me to his insurance. Aetna considers bariatric surgery medically necessary. Yes st Joseph is the ones who are saying I have to pay the 6850 before surgery. That is my out of pocket max with Kaiser. So hopefully they will be able to run the 6850 through the secondary insurance and the max out of pocket for that one is 3,000 that they would bill me for

That is interesting . If your full total with St Joe is only 6850 and mine Is $14k it doesn't make sense why they only require $2k from me but full amount from you. Just weird. Aetna does treat as medically necessary. I wish I could purchase both insurances lol. If your husband adds you it likely will not be an issue for St. Joe. They really don't care who pays and will be more lenient. Another thing is if you don't have a FSA already you could do it for $2500 and the full amount is available to use at the beginning of the year . You can even schedule your surgery at the end of Jan and won't have to wait until tax time. I am using mine in the same way. Even the amount I have left this year I will be able to combine with next years amount towards my expenses if I am scheduled for Jan. That is just an idea to consider.

That is interesting . If your full total with St Joe is only 6850 and mine Is $14k it doesn't make sense why they only require $2k from me but full amount from you. Just weird. Aetna does treat as medically necessary. I wish I could purchase both insurances lol. If your husband adds you it likely will not be an issue for St. Joe. They really don't care who pays and will be more lenient. Another thing is if you don't have a FSA already you could do it for $2500 and the full amount is available to use at the beginning of the year . You can even schedule your surgery at the end of Jan and won't have to wait until tax time. I am using mine in the same way. Even the amount I have left this year I will be able to combine with next years amount towards my expenses if I am scheduled for Jan. That is just an idea to consider.

I love having FSA! I completely forgot about it too. Thanks for the reminder!

Yes! And those who have a HSA can benefit as well!

I am with Kaiser to in Denver Colorado and I meet up with the surgeon on Tuesday at 11am. Just finished my six weeks class last Tuesday and they called me back on that Thursday. I am excited about it and wonder what all we are going to talk about when I get there. I am ready to start the liver strinking diet I have already been in the gym working out

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

Do you have your surgery date yet?

Well update everyone I'm on day 2 of the liver shrinking diet! Surgery is the 29th

Wow! You guys are having surgery the same day. Congrats to you both!

Krystal did something change with your payment? I was told from Kaiser my deductible and out of pocket max in 2017 would now apply so if it holds true the most I will have to pay is $1500. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No I got added to my husbands insurance so with a secondary insurance I won't have to pay anything out of pocket before surgery.

So happy for you! Yet nervous as well. Good luck on your surgery today. You will certainly be in my prayers. Please keep us updated on your progress!