Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does the sleeve compare to gallbladder surgery?

I was scheduled to have the sleeve done on August 9; however, I developed severe gallbladder complications & had to have it removed 2 days ago on July 28. So far, the recovery from the gallbladder surgery has been pretty easy.(The pain from the attacks were another story) I'm wondering how much worse the pain & recovery from the sleeve surgery is.

It's been quite a few years since I had my gall bladder surgery, but I would say that was definitely easier than the sleeve. More incisions with the sleeve, more discomfort. But it's all very individual. The worst part of the sleeve surgery for me, wasn't the incisions in the stomach or pain in the stomach, it was the nausea and the sore throat from the tubes put in the throat- so my swallow study was awful. But once that was over with, and my throat started feeling better, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was outside for a walk the day I got home from the hospital.

I had more issues directly after gall bladder surgery (I could not stop throwing up from the narcotics and got gas trapped in my shoulder) but I was back at work after only 4 days.

However, it took me months to recover 100% from the sleeve surgery. I struggled with having no energy because of low calories. I took two weeks off from work and felt like I needed at least three. I also went through a lot of emotions from the hormone surges. I would say sleeve surgery won in terms of toughness.

Next is skin removal surgery. I'm sure that will top them all. That is why I've taken four weeks off from work to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had to have gallbladder surgery 2 months before I had my sleeve. They are about the same but about a week after surgery I felt better with the sleeve. With the gallbladder it took alot longer to get my energy back. Good luck and get lots of rest.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using the BariatricPal App

Geeze my gallbladder surgery was bad. I was in the hospital for 4 days and in a lot of pain. I could barely walk and had no core strength. They also repaired a hernia while they were in there; I'm not really quite sure if it was the hernia repair that caused me so much pain or the actual gallbladder removal, but I was really really sore. I'm hoping that getting sleeved isn't as bad.

I had VSG on 6/8, then had to have my gallbladder removed on 7/12. For me, the Gallbladder removal was much much worse than the sleeve. The recovery pain was horrible, I'm not sure if that's because I had the surgeries so close together or what but it's still hurting me today, and I haven't even been cleared to go back to work yet at almost 3 weeks later. The VSG surgery in my opinion was not that painful at all; the worst part was the nausea, sore throat, and chest spasms while learning to drink again.

I had my gall bladder removed about 15 years ago by laparoscopy. It was a piece of cake. I missed 2 days of work. I pray this surgery is only twice as bad. I've had both knees replaced and survived, so I don't anticipate too much post surgical pain. However I'm sure it isn't easy swallowing and getting used to a tiny stomach. Surgery on august 12, day 3 pre_op done.

Both surgeries went smoothly however, I think recovering from the gallbladder surgery was easier.

My gallbladder was removed laparoscopy about ten years ago. I checked in to the hospital on a Friday, had the surgery on Saturday, and went home on Sunday and had a easy recovery.

The sleeve surgery was easy but pain in the stomach when I swallowed anything was painful even with the pain medication. I didn’t want to drink anything while in the hospital! The stomach pains stopped completely about five days after the surgery.

VSG Mantra: Sip Sip Sip - Walk Walk Walk helps a speedy recovery!