Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can drink easily since day 1 - anyone the same, did restriction kick in?

After surgery I was able to drink Water easily with no regurgitation. I sipped all day, getting through quite a bit.

Later when I got home, I've continued to sip and have drunk a couple of Protein Shakes a day, stopping before I've finished the full amount when I feel like I've had enough. I'm trying to listen to my body and when it feels sated. I think I do get the tightness people mention but nothing extreme.

• Has anyone else had no problems swallowing fluids since day 1?
  • How much Protein shakes did you have from day 4 onwards? (my NUT said most people can only have one - half in the morning and half in the evening - so I've emailed to check I'm not overdoing it).
  • Once you started eating solid foods, did this change, did you feel restriction, e.g. after 1-2 tablespoons?

I know I need to give it time, and it should be fine. I'm concentrating on protein and exercise, just wondering if anyone had the same experience. Am looking through the older boards and some veterans seemed to have similar messages - that it does kick in but we all vary.

For now, I'll keep taking it easy, learning my sleeve, as I know this honeymoon phase won't last forever.

Edited by roguegambit

I've been able to drink pretty decently since surgery. I can't gorge Water like I used to in one sitting, but I have no problem gulping a reasonable amount, waiting a couple minutes and gulping again. My Fluid goals are increased (128oz ideally) because of another procedure. I'm still working on it but there's no restrictive reason I can't achieve it, I just need to think about drinking throughout the day. When I eat, drinking can make me feel bloated if I drink too soon but it also eases a few minutes later which is probably a sign that it's flushing food out of my pouch which is not a good thing because at week 5, I'm noticing minor hunger...so I might be fueling a fire by drinking too close with meals (although I don't particularly have meals, I just have Protein sources right now like cheese, deli meats, yogurt, salami, stuff like that).

KAZE...Are you on a PPI? I did not feel the restriction until I started taking a PPI last week. Since day three, I have been able to get in my Water 64 oz, and Protein Shakes but I was hungry all the time. Then I started feeling a sensation almost like shortness of breath but I was breathing fine....I just felt like I had to take a deep breath every few minutes...long story short, DR. Advised a PPI. The feeling went away and I now feel the restriction.

eating solid foods, - did you feel restriction

@@roguegambit

hey smartie

you hit the nail right on the head!! :)

most people (me and others) don't feel any restriction through the liquid phase

(or when you drink Water in general later)

i never had problems drinking either

i was told not to gulp til my NUT officially told me it was ok

for me, sipping Protein shakes DID make me more full

(then plain ol' water)

as you gradually start puree's, soft foods you will feel more restriction

when you start solids - you should definitely start to feel the restriction in your new little tummy

don't worry now

you'll possibly have plenty to worry about later :lol:

good luck newbie

kathy

I've been able to drink pretty decently since surgery. I can't gorge Water like I used to in one sitting, but I have no problem gulping a reasonable amount, waiting a couple minutes and gulping again.

Thanks Kaze, good luck with the other situation you have going on. And I think you're right, holding off on drinking Water after a meal may help a lot.

Restriction was felt most once I started adding in dense purée. Mashed potato, flaked fish, chicken.

Thanks Rebecca, interesting to hear it started with dense purée.

don't worry now

you'll possibly have plenty to worry about later :lol:

good luck newbie

kathy

Thanks Kathy, that was a very sweet reply :) I'm counting my stars that I can drink water easily, I love me that water!

And you're right, this is the part to just enjoy the ride and lack of hunger hormones. Am hoping to make the most of it and get down, so when that dreaded regain hits I'm at least at a good starting point.

I also haven't had any problem with liquid (water). I do notice that Protein shakes can be a chore to finish, so I do feel fuller with them.

KAZE...Are you on a PPI? I did not feel the restriction until I started taking a PPI last week. Since day three, I have been able to get in my Water 64 oz, and Protein shakes but I was hungry all the time. Then I started feeling a sensation almost like shortness of breath but I was breathing fine....I just felt like I had to take a deep breath every few minutes...long story short, DR. Advised a PPI. The feeling went away and I now feel the restriction.

Yeah, I'm on a PPI and have been long before surgery. I have chronic heartburn. I was off my Omeprazole one day and it was back...was hoping the surgery would cure that for me but alas, I am one of the unlucky ones who gets to keep GERD.

I don't think it's made restriction more noticeable because I concur with the above commenter that restriction was felt around dense purees and not liquids.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi there, I was sleeved on 7/7 and also had no problem with liquids since day 1. I can actually chug Water like I did pre surgery. I try not to do that though, but every now and then I find myself taking big gulps when I'm walking outside in the heat or whatever.

Since I've been on purees and soft foods I DO feel a nice restriction. My plan recommends no more than 2 oz of food at a time so I've carefully weighed out my food on a scale. I feel the restriction right at 2 oz usually or just before. Less so with something like Greek yogurt than with say a scrambled egg. It's pretty cool. I have a much easier time getting 2 oz of food down at Breakfast than I do later in the day as well. Later in the day I am often satisfied with a small spoonful or two of food and will have to end my day with a Protein shake to get my Protein in the liquid way.

Never had issues drinking fluids. I was doing two shakes with 30g of Protein each for the first few weeks, replacing one then eventually both as I was able to eat more food.

I was able to increase portion sizes about twice as fast as all my meal plan guides told me I would be able to but eventually settled at the 1-1.5 cup portion size that seems to be the norm. It really depends on the food. chicken breast I can do about a cup of, scrambled eggs almost 2 cups.

I am on full liquids but last night had Panera black bean Soup and I mashed up the Beans very good into a paste that melted in to the liquid. I'd say it was a thick liquid consistency. After 2 oz I was belching and not uncomfortable but very satisfied, felt full (did not have hunger before it) and felt like I need 30 min before more liquid. I'm assuming this is the feeling/idea moving into purees to get us in the habit of the "meal" time and liquid "hydration" time. Before last time (for the last 3 days post op) my restrictions weren't too much and my liquid went down ok in the hospital and everything. Granted, topped out at 4-5 cups of liquid, but... my doctor doesn't regulate the amount needed to stay hydrated but does say "urination at least 2 times in 24 hours is sufficient."

hopes this helps.

I also don't have a problem with drinking fluids but it is a choir now to drink the Protein Shakes. But I stay pretty hydrated I just have to remember to drink it's hard. So I don't have issues with it I'm 5 weeks out and do feel the restrictions with food. Purée but liquids I can take bigger gulps of.