Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help in Worcester, MA

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with lapband in any of the Worcester area hospitals? I have read a lot about Boston hospitals but I rarely drive into Boston and the traffic makes so nervous.

I did a search and found some old threads, any one recent? What hospital, who was your doctor, good experience?

I also love the idea of fills and after care being so close to home, I live about 10 min, from UMASS/Memorial. But the best care is my top priority so I will drive to Boston if I have to.

Thanks!!

I was banded at Caritas Norwood Hospital by Dr. Adam Glasgow. I was surprised at how good the nursing care was at this hospital. I felt like I was the only patient on the night shift when I was having such issues with nausea and dry heaves. Dr. Adam Glasgow is in practice with his Dad, Arthur Glasgow. They seem to be very caring doctors and the office staff is friendly and helpful.

I live in the Worcester area also and have just started actively researching this process. I had been to the Weight Center at UMass Medical Center a couple years ago and did the behavioral track as I didn't want bypass surgery at the time. Now that it's a few years later and my weight is worse than ever I'm going back to their surgical information meeting this Thursday night to begin looking into the lap band procedure.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who may have had this done at UMass.

Like you, it would be very convenient to go there but I also want the best surgeon and care I can get. Looking forward to getting some feedback.

Thanks!

Good luck with your new start. I did end up going through Umass and had band surgery July 30 with Dr Kelly. They switched to doing all Realize bands, so I'm trying to just say band surgery, instead of Lapband.

I will say that I had some frustration with the process of going through the Weight Center. I considered switching programs for a while. But once I got through that part and my file was sent to the surgery center, things went quicker and smother, and I love Dr. Kelly.

I would highly recommend him! He was great, every person I saw on surgery day was great and nice. I was in at 7am and home by 3pm. Umass also called me the next day to check up on me.

Getting in for fills has been easy so far. I had to wait 7 weeks after surgery for the first fill (scheduling issues). But after that it's been easy. I called Monday and they gave me an appointment for Thursday for my 3rd fill. :grouphug:

Hi there Mich!

I too am going through UMASS and truly loving the experience. I have just completed my orientations (nutritional, med, behav). My pre-surgical skills group begin Wed (the 29th) for four weeks (ending Nov 19th), then my last appointment and scheduling. I believe that is how the schedule reads. From what I was told at the original conversation with Dr. Gitkind, my surgery will most likely be in Feb. That is fine with me. I am looking forward to it. January would be great, but Feb will do. At my last appt. the nutritionist did tell me to consider bypass surgery as an option. Apparently because I already exercise fairly vigorously (I had been walking 4 miles a day for a few months, gym workouts 2-3x wkly) and eating about 1400 calories, she informed me that the restriction of banding may only remove another 15/20 pounds. She said experience has shown them that many people in my circumstance have that outcome and end up having the bypass done after going through all of that. So, I am considering my options. My husband and I have discussed it and he is very supportive. I do not have to make my decision at this time, so I figure I will see how much more I lose prior to January just to gauge myself. I am fairly certain I do not want repeat WLS, but I shall wait and see.

I wish you the best. If you have any input or suggestions, feel free to share! Thanks. Be happy each day by staying healthy!

I live in Boston and am getting banded by a surgeon at Brigham and Women's. They said that there was a practice in western MA that was larger than theirs. I think it might be in Worcester. I am not sure about it because I don't know much about MA. If you go to Obesityhelp they have a list of surgeons in MA. You could also call the Brigham weightloss center and ask them if they recommend any practices of comparable quality closer to you. There number is 617-732-8500. They are extremely helpful. I would tell them I was considering them but would also like to explore some options closer to me. Also, if you are using your insurance some companies have prefered surgeons and hospitals. For example, Blue cross MA has recommended practices. I would also contact your insurance company because if you go to one of their prefered locations they do all the work to get insurance approval. At the Brigham I got my insurance approval 2-3 days after the initial consult with my physican.

Thanks for the info on the UMass program and the Brigham & Women's program. I just went to the surgical information meeting at UMass last week and have my first appointment with Dr Gitkind on Dec 11th.

I had done the behavioral track there several years ago but for many reasons it didn't work well for me. I know I have to change alot of my current behaviors regarding eating and exercise in order to to the surgical track but I think I'm in a much better state of mind to stick with it this time. I'm going to see what the doctor has to say and go from there. I don't want to rush into anything so I'm kind of still on my fact finding mission before I make any definate decision regarding surgery.

I had read that people who like sweets don't do that well on the banding procedure. Any thoughts on that? Thanks so much!:)

Hello there. My thoughts are just from what I have read and patients to whom I have spoken. The banding apparently is the first choice for sweet eaters. Is there a reason that you are not mentioning the gastric bypass? I will tell you a bit of my story, if you will. I realized that one of the main reasons for not considering surgery originally was that I thought it meant I had been a failure. No one else's opinions really came into my thought process. I had lost over 100lbs on my own in 2004. Healthy means - diet and exercise. It was not actually that difficult for me. I was just in that zone, I guess. Well, after having the weight off for about a year I ended up having a hysterectomy. I was laid up for several months and gained the majority of my weight back and the remaining portion of over the last couple of years. All but 25 lbs of it! Since 2006 it has seemed virtually impossible to lose anything substantial. The discussion groups, meetings with the various staff, etc. have been invaluable. So, sit down with yourself, keep a clear head and figure things out. Ask all the questions you need. The WLS is just a tool, a means to aid you to your goal. That is another important factor: what is your goal? why do you want to lose weight? and how important is it to you? Hope I helped a bit. Keep us up to date. I will be at the discussion group in November, I believe.

Take care of your health!