Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How restricted is your sleeve?

Been hearing about a lot of different sleeve stories. And I'm curious about what others people sleeve can handle that they thought couldn't, and what people's sleeve can't handle that they thought would be able to. Been hearing about people able to drink regular pop and eat high in calorie/fat fried foods early-on without experiencing dumping syndrome or anything. How restricted is your sleeve and how far out did you realize it?

Sent From Galaxy Note 5 using the BariatricPal App

I'm six weeks out and can only handle about 3/4 cup of food...very slowly at a time. I think it's different for a lot of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on June 1st. I cant eat more then 1/2 of food 3x a day. Sometimes I will have a premier drink in the afternoon or first thing in the am with 4 oz of iced coffee. Maybe one sugar free popsical (15 cal) after dinner. No other snacking. I am not hungry at all. Everyone is different. Just follow your plan and track everything. it is so helpful

I can't have large amounts of sugar or fat.. For instance I had part of a milkshake and felt sick for hours and I had a small amount of cream of crab Soup and had stomach cramps and chills almost immediately. I stay far away from them now.

It's trial and error. Some cannot tolerate dairy or milk at all and others have no issues.

Keep a journal of foods you reintroduce that doesn't set well with your sleeve. Retry them later or steer clear all together ;)

I am on 2 oz size meals. I definitely agree that fat is not tolerable. I just had a good dinner - chicken and edamame so small when I look at it. But I am so full and think I ate a bit too fast.

How is everyone pacing your eating or is this a problem for all?

I'm 3 years out. Can't handle even one sip of soda or beer...potatoes in any form hit my stomach with a "thud" and make me miserable, so I still only have a few bites. No problem with dairy or spicy foods. Pork is okay as long as it's ground or pulled, but I have to chew any meat forever. I don't drink alcohol, but I make up for it in coffee. As far as volume goes, I can eat maybe 3/4 of a small McDonald's hamburger. No fries. 3/4 of a small hot dog in the bun, but I usually pull off half the bread of whatever I'm eating. I finally can eat salad! Took about 2 years, though. Hope this helps.

Deborah

Sleeve 4/2013

High 230 5'5"

198 before prep diet

Low weight post op 142

Now 152

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dumping syndrome is typically a bypass problem not a sleeve problem. There are a few sleevers who dump, but most of us don't.

First of all, I don't understand why anyone would even try those things "early on" as you say.... But being over 2.5 years out I can speak to "later on."

I was at a party about a year out and was desperately searching for something non alcoholic to drink and found "mineral water" in a bottle and poured a glass and drank some without realizing it was carbonated. Thought I was gonna die! Never again!

Rice hurts also, even a few grains. bread turns into a glue ball and feels icky... Toasted it's fine, as are crackers and such. Soft potatoes do the same. Haven't had noodles/pasta because I assume it's the same.

Sugar I can tolerate more of than I probably should. Cookies and such are no problem. Fried is fine in the very limited amounts I do, I don't have an issue with one chicken strip or piece of fish and chips. Spice is fine too.

I am 5.5 months out. I can eat about 6 ounces at a meal now if it is 4 ounces of Protein, 2 ounces of vegetables. Up until month 4, I was only able to eat 4 ounces. I believe my stomach has fully healed and that is what caused the difference though.

Some examples of what I eat that would make me VERY full, but not to the point of throwing up:

- 4 ounce can of tuna with 1 tbsp. mayo and 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese mixed

- 4 ounces of lemon grilled chicken with 2 ounces fresh lemon asparagus

- 1 slice of pizza no crust + the cheese/ toppings off another

- 1/2 cup of spaghetti with 1/2 cup ground beef and sauce

- 1/2 a bagel with a two slices of deli ham, and 1/2 slice of cheese

- 5 ounces of chili with 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese

- 5 ounce cheeseburger with no bun

- 3/4 of a 5 ounce cheeseburger with the bun

- 2 chicken tenders from KFC, and 1/2 of an individual mashed potato

- 1 fried chicken breast a 2-3 French fries

- 4 ounce sirloin and 2 ounces of grilled mushrooms

- about half of a "half" chicken salad from wendys

- 6" flatbread from subway with just turkey and cheese (no veggies)

- 1 thin pork chop baked in gravy with 1/4 cup of rice

Those are just some things I have tried. They all give me about the same level of "fullness" even though they vary in size/weight. I don't do well with dairy, except for cheese which I have no issue with. I get very sick from drinking even a small amount of milk, and "dump" (which might not be the correct word to use since I had sleeve not bypass, but I definitely have to make a fast trip to the bathroom).

I haven't had anything carbonated. Too scared lol

But I have had wine, with no issues other than feeling it after 1 glass :-)

Edited by provenzee

I'm 6 weeks out and I can have 1/2 a cup to a cup for a meal depends what I eat. I tried a few bites of cold stone when I was like week out and had a bad experience so now I am afraid of ice cream and sugar lol

I'm 6 weeks out and I can have 1/2 a cup to a cup for a meal depends what I eat. I tried a few bites of cold stone when I was like week out and had a bad experience so now I am afraid of ice cream and sugar lol

Ice cream should be on your no-no list for a long time. It's too easy to take in too many calories. You can keep some containers of Greek yogurt in the freezer. It's harder to over eat on it, but you still get the ice cream-like texture.

I really don't like ice cream and after what happened from only taking couple small bites I will never eat ice cream. My teeth are really sensitive so I don't eat much cold stuff that day I think I was testing my sleeve because I was only few weeks out.

I am on 2 oz size meals. I definitely agree that fat is not tolerable. I just had a good dinner - chicken and edamame so small when I look at it. But I am so full and think I ate a bit too fast.

I wait like 45 seconds to a Minute between each bite, im only 12 days post op tho so i haven't really ate any real food yet lol. But i can relate tho, i usually cook my food to a high temp to discipline me from eating too fast.

I wait like 45 seconds to a Minute between each bite, im only 12 days post op tho so i haven't really ate any real food yet lol. But i can relate tho, i usually cook my food to a high temp to discipline me from eating too fast.

I am 2 weeks out - what are you eating? I am getting super bored of mushy eggs and stuff.....uhhh, I need ideas! Ha

Don't be afraid of staying on Protein Shakes for a while. Everyone has their own time frame for healing, and shakes are non-irritating and you get a big dose of Protein, even if you can take only 2 oz at a time. I pretty much was all shakes and yogurt for 6 weeks postop. If you'll just be patient, you reach a time that you can eat a few spoonfuls or forkfuls of anything you want. Like a skinny person.