Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of hair loss and loose skin? Ideas?!

I can't believe it but my surgery is this Wednesday. I have a couple of obsession and am looking for ideas. I don't want to look and feel worse after surgery. To be honest I'm scared to death to have surgery but have wanted this for so long. I've never been anything but overweight almost all of my life. Change is so scary.

I'm scared about losing hair. Does Biotin really help? Anything else that works?

Also what about loose skin? Ways to prevent it? Exercises?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think with both issues - there's very little to prevent them. You'll have a better chance if you get enough Protein and take your Vitamins. I would take Biotin just as an extra step to see if it helps. Loose skin can possibly be helped by doing resistance training but it's more about genetics, age, amount of weight lost, how often you yo-yoed, etc.

Good luck with your surgery!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. Generally I did not experience much of a problem with loose skin. The only exception was in my face. I developed these paper thin fine wrinkles that you see on people that are 100 years old. I am 67 years old so I expect some wrinkles but this was carrying it to another level. My wife suggested a product called Bio-Oil available at Walmart and CVS among other places. I tried it and the wrinkles went away.

I did not experience any hair loss although several report problems in this area. I have been using a product called Juvenon Cellular Health Supplement for the past 10 years; long before this surgery. This is available for purchase over the internet. One of the side effects that I noticed was that it stopped me from going bald and also restored some of my natural color to my hair. The product contains Biotin but the main ingredients are acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) and alpha lipoic acid (ALA). It is used to restore the mitochondria. Oxygen is very destructive to human cells and the mitochondria is primarily responsible for transporting oxygen. As we age the mitrochondria tend to become leakers and this leakage is responsible for many of the adverse health conditions that we face.

My understanding is that Biotin does not stop hair loss, it just helps it regrow faster. Make sure you are taking your Vitamins and all your Protein, but still fast weight loss can lead to some Hair loss. If you have thyroid issues already, hair loss may be exacerbated so be sure to keep an eye out for other hypothyroid symptoms and get it checked and meds adjusted. Otherwise, just hang in there and know that it won't be forever.

On the loose skin, I don't think there is really much to prevent it. As james said, it depends on how much you have to lose, how fast you lose, genetics, age, etc. I am 48 and lost an average of 10 pounds per month for 12 months. My loose skin didn't really show up too bad until the last 30 pounds and now it is bad. I will have to have plastics to correct.

I will say though, I was afraid of both of these things too for YEARS which kept me from preventing doing it. I wish I hadn't been scared and did it sooner and younger.

My surgeon told me that if I get enough Protein and take my Vitamins I would hardly notice any hair loss.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I can't believe it but my surgery is this Wednesday. I have a couple of obsession and am looking for ideas. I don't want to look and feel worse after surgery. To be honest I'm scared to death to have surgery but have wanted this for so long. I've never been anything but overweight almost all of my life. Change is so scary.

I'm scared about losing hair. Does Biotin really help? Anything else that works?

Thanks in advance!!!

You may or may not lose some hair due to the surgery and you will probably have some loose skin, especially if you lose a significant amount of weight.

The best thing you can do is to stay hydrated and get in all of your Protein, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise.

Biotin may help with hair regrowth but probably won't prevent Hair loss which is due to the shock of surgery and anesthesia.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support. Like Daisee68 said these two things kept me from doing this sooner too. I'm just so nervous about Wednesday in general. Trying to relax.

Hi. Good luck this week. You'll do great! I was not worried about either outside of just passing thoughts prior to surgery. I can tell you though I have both.

I am 8 months post op. Let me start by saying I had thin hair on top of my head prior to surgery. Did I lose more? Yes. It started at about 3 months and is starting to let up now. Was it ever more visually noticeable? Not to others but to me yes. I spent $200 on a beautiful hair topper with highlights. Did I need it, probably not but it makes me feel good. So good I tell people it's not my hair and where to buy it. Nobody believes it's fake. Some days I don't wear it at all. I also use rogaine but that only works because I had hairloss before surgery.

Do I have loose skin? Yes. I am 38 years old and have lost 80 lbs since starting this process (90 from my highest weight). Do others notice the loose skin? No, not unless I'm naked (and my husband thinks I'm beautiful). Do I notice it? Yes. But I still look so much better than i did 90 lbs heavier. I am even ok in sleeve less tops. And on days it bothers me, there are Spanx type items I can wear.

The moral here, there are things you can do to combat both. Don't let that deter you from being health. You totally got this. I look forward to seeing you on the losers bench.

If you want to see the hair message me. I am totally self conscious about my appearance (ridiculous for someone my age but it is what it is)but I'll share privately. Seriously don't let these things stress you out. I struggle with the inability to see my weight loss so I know how concerning this stuff can be. Hugs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by HopeandAgony

My surgeon told me that if I get enough Protein and take my Vitamins I would hardly notice any hair loss.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi! My surgeon told me the same thing. Unfortunately it wasn't true in my case. I hit my Protein goal every day and have never once missed my Vitamins (I have OCD so missing required things in my life isn't an option...lol). You might be one of the lucky ones and I hope you are. From reading these boards for the past year it seems to be hit or miss honestly. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I was more scared of my aches knees, high blood pressure, and increased chances of a shorter life because of being obese, then I was about losing my hair and saggy skin! [emoji3][emoji106] Good luck on Wednesday!

Thanks in advance!!!

im having surgery the same day, and i have thought about it too. I think loose skin is kind of inevitable because of how fast the weight comes off. But genetics def play a huge factor. I also know that everyone has some form of Hair loss, its natural and Biotin may help. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY!!!!