Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I have to ask...are things going too well? Am I overdoing it?

Just checking back in. So great to read that many others had an easy and uneventful recovery. My update? A couple of days after I posted this I got slammed with fatigue. I had been out and about, working, running errands, socializing, and all of a sudden - BOOM. I could hardly be bothered to brush my teeth for about two days straight. It was all I could do to remember to drink my Water and Protein. I was also woken up in the middle of the night with a painful charley horse which (after I called my surgeon freaking out about blood clots) I realized was a result of getting too few electrolytes so I added in some Powerade zero and smart Water.< /p>

So the fatigue did get to me eventually, like many said it might. At least I had been warned!

No problems since then and my energy is wayyy back up. I've been in the gym and have been taking long walks at night - mostly to play Pokemon go, but walking nonetheless.

At the end of this week I'll be traveling for about 10 days, for one day of work and the rest for leisure. I'll be in a city with an altitude of over 7,000 feet above sea level so will try too hard not to push myself but to also take advantage of exploring a new city on foot. Trying to convince myself I won't be ready to climb an ancient pyramid at just 3 weeks post op, even though I really want to try ;-)

I am guessing that you are flying? Did your surgeon ok you for this? Just be careful is all I'm saying. If it is a really long flight be prepared to do a lot of walking up and down the aisles ok?

Have fun! Keep hydrated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi everyone .... This post has given me a lot of insight . I was sleeved on July 5 th . I felt/ feel great with much more energy then pre-op I weighed in at 259 June 17th then July 15 th at 235 I feel very blessed ! I've been able to literally drink Water much more then sips with lil to no problems at all. I've shamefully went outside my full liquid diet . I've eaten scrambled eggs mushed up very very well with shredded cheese & Soups with little pieces in them . I'm def not getting my Protein in but I'm going to make it priority. I didn't get much education on this for my fam Dr & Surgeon just kinda noted my visits just for insurance reasons. So I fed like reading everyone's post to get some insight & educational info on what to do & limitations of course !! Best of luck to you all !!

Ugh be careful! You don't want to mess with not getting that Protein in. I know sleeves and bypass post op diets are different, but from what I understand, your new tummy takes longer to heal because there is more surface area to heal. You should still be relying on Protein shakes for most of your nutrition at this point and little chunks in Soup is a big no no. Even at 4 months post op almost, if I want Soup I drink the liquid first and then have the veggies/meat.

Ask around here for advice whenever you can! That's why we are all here! Best to err on the side of caution than hurt or hinder yourself.

Good luck!!!!????????????

hehehe. I also woke up from surgery being very grateful that I had made it out alive and wanted to jump out of my bed so that I could jump for joy but, nahh I wasn't feelin it.

I am actually quite jealous op....that's pretty amazing that you are feeling this way. My first few days I was very uncomfortable but forced myself to walk and drink. A month later, I am mainly dealing with tiredness and some hunger and the disappointment of the lack of weight loss....

@@higher

Maybe. I did a lot at first from elation at not being dead. Then like a week later it all caught up with me. If I had it to do over I would just walk and take it easy and rest.

I feel the same way.. I was sleeved 7/13/16 and I feel like new money.. I have this boost of energy and my incisions don't hurt and my Fluid intake is fine if I don't swallow to fast but for the most part I feel wonderful...

My surgeon told me that after 2 full weeks of full liquids (with some purée mixed in) I could start introducing soft foods a little at a time but it also wouldn't hurt to stay on liquids longer. So I've been doing 2 shakes a day and no more than 2 oz at a time every few hours. I'm eating things like cottage cheese, string cheese, cream of wheat with extra Protein, noodle-less lasagna, puréed Beans, crab salad, chicken salad without onions and pickles, and Progresso light Soups. Today I ate a few cooked green beans but I just wasn't feeling it. I also have had mashed baby red potatoes with Parmesan cheese. I don't feel over full, I can tell when I am topping out because the bites I swallow get uncomfortable when it hits the top of my sleeve and the air/gas tries to escape around it and is slightly uncomfortable but that's my trigger to take a break or stop completely. I don't have to lay down or walk to get my stomach to stop feeling over full. I am chewing foods more than needed just to be sure. It is awesome to be able to eat a little of what everyone else is - picking the soft and easy foods out of a catered luncheon spread. I go every other day getting on all my Water or not, I struggle to get all the protein in. I'm tracking now so it helps.

I am feeling good but definitely a bit foggy. I am lucky with recovery - no real pain, just a bit uncomfortable at night if the gas comes back, but I rarely feel it! I was sleeved 7/7.

The only thing is my tongue feels yuk with some weird tastes!!

Awesome! We had good luck on 7/7!!!

@@bini120 don't think that didn't cross my mind !

Maybe 7/7 was good luck. I had it that day as well and it almost feels like I didn't have anything done I felt so good from day 1.

LoL I was walking around in the recovery room and up the same day. I didn't like the push button pain meds despite some pain. Day 2 I was released and shopping for nail polish... 7days, 4 kids and 10lbs down I'm just on an indoor vacation watching Netflix and catching up on sleep... I might be constipated though haven't gone in a couple days but then again I haven't really eaten anything.

@@ShortieChangin my niece keeps running up to me for me to pick her up and hug her but when I go down to get her - she says NO you're not allowed!

My recovery has been pretty quick too

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Raenh

I was sleeved 7/7 and doing very well! I just feel a bit nervous about liquids and any mushy foods just going 'straight through' me! I get a sore tummy and then TMI, gastro..ugh! Nut said to get off Protein Shakes for a few days, and see how I go. She thinks they might be too rich at the moment...but I will see. I just don't know what to eat ha

@@LisaMergs thank you! It is just a 5-6 hour flight and I have room to stretch out in first but will try to remember to do a couple of laps. My surgeon didn't blink when I mentioned it, but I'm a little worried about the altitude and the purée/soft food diet. I'll probably fall back on shakes to make sure I get that Protein in. One of the world's great food capitals and I'll be on protein shakes....and I don't even feel bad about it!

LoL I was walking around in the recovery room and up the same day. I didn't like the push button pain meds despite some pain. Day 2 I was released and shopping for nail polish... 7days, 4 kids and 10lbs down I'm just on an indoor vacation watching Netflix and catching up on sleep... I might be constipated though haven't gone in a couple days but then again I haven't really eaten anything.

Milk of magnesium- I took some a week after surgery cause I hadn't gone and it helped :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

As people give advice...ie. shakes only, stay on liquids at this phase, don't do this.....we should be mindful that we all work with different surgeons who allow us to progress based on each there recommendations.

I'm 3 weeks post op and continue to do well. I'm able to eat soft foods even though Beans are my favorite thing right now. Soft meat is about to be introduced and I hope that helps get more Protein in as I can only get about 1 shake in a day.

This journey is individual to us all...enjoy the continued feelings of feeling good on this new Road ahead!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

As people give advice...ie. shakes only, stay on liquids at this phase, don't do this.....we should be mindful that we all work with different surgeons who allow us to progress based on each there recommendations.

I'm 3 weeks post op and continue to do well. I'm able to eat soft foods even though Beans are my favorite thing right now. Soft meat is about to be introduced and I hope that helps get more Protein in as I can only get about 1 shake in a day.

This journey is individual to us all...enjoy the continued feelings of feeling good on this new Road ahead!!!!

How many grams of Protein are you averaging?

How many grams of Protein are you averaging?

I am trying for 60 grams per day via 2 Premier Protein Shakes....it's a daily struggle

Higher -- I'm the same way. I feel great. I had my surgery on 7/14, and had a weigh-in on 7/18, and I'd lost 6 lbs (honestly, I thought it would be more because I essentially went 2 days without eating...but I heard there's an after-surgery Water gain -- don't know, but I did drink a lot of Water. My surgery took place late in the evening, but the next morning I hopped (carefully) out of bed and took 2 turns around my unit. Later that day, I did 10 more laps twice. My pain was low -- they were supposed to give me a prescription for pain meds, but they didn't. Didn't matter -- since they took me off the iV, I've only taken Tylenol twice. I peed clear right from the start, and have had regular (almost daily) bowel movements. I feel energetic and I walk every day for at least 30 minutes (nothing else). My incisions are almost healed and only one (on the left side) even twinges in the least. I don't know -- I'm the same..is it going to well?

The worst problems I've had are the speed of eating. Twice, I've not chewed my food well enough and/or ate too fast, which resulting in promptly tossing my Cookies. I also tried eyeballing portion size and that's a bad habit. Finally bought myself a little scale and I obsessively weigh everything I'm eating. By doing that I feel better (in my head!! and probably in my body too).

The other thing that I've done for myself is go back to the SparkPeople website and continue tracking my food intake. It helps keep me grounded - and is how I lost 25 lbs before the surgery.

Edited by monabroad