Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about this shrinking the liver, i never heard of it.

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

Lots of nutritional biochemistry and physiology going on here- it's pretty complicated- but in a nutshell... Excess fat from the blood is stored in the liver, resulting in what's known as fatty liver disease. This is very, very common in people with metabolic syndrome. Most of us who are having BWLS have metabolic syndrome... high cholesterol, high triglycerides, low HDL, insulin resistance, preponderance of abdominal fat, pre/diabetes, high blood pressure. Anyhow... it's safe to assume if you have a BMI over 40, you have some type of metabolic syndrome and consequently also have a fatty liver (glycogen from the bloodstream is stored in the liver as fat... hence, fatty liver). Research has shown that a diet that is high in Protein and very low in carbohydrates forces the body to burn the fat stored in the liver as an energy source, reducing the amount of fat stored in the liver. This shrinking of the liver makes it easier for your surgeon to move the liver around to perform BWLS laparoscopically (i.e., through small incisions instead of a big, long incision). MANY (most?) BWLS programs require some form of liver shrinking diet before surgery, to make the surgery move along a little more easily.

She never told me that. So how would she know if it's too large before she do it?

She never told me that. So how would she know if it's too large before she do it?

I don't know how they know for sure if it's too large... I just understand the biochemistry. HOWEVER... one way to diagnose a fatty liver is by biopsy, and I don't know ANYONE who'd have a liver biopsy to see if they need to do this diet pre-surgery. As I said (and read... lots of info on the web, search "metabolic syndrome" "fatty liver"), if your BMI is 40+, it's pretty safe to assume that you have some degree of fatty liver. Reducing it will make surgery easier. I wouldn't worry too much about this; I have met many people who started this journey in the 400 pound range who had laparoscopic surgery. Just follow what the doctor orders and I'm sure it'll work out.

I was on the pre-op liquid diet and honestly did not follow it to the T! And I still lost weight! Do what you feel just remember day before liquids only! I'm going on my 3rd week! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you, I'm really trying...

I was on the pre-op liquid diet and honestly did not follow it to the T! And I still lost weight! Do what you feel just remember day before liquids only! I'm going on my 3rd week! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you, I'm really trying...

So its interesting that most of the comments I've seen about the pre-op diet people on are liquids. I was NOT put on a liquid diet. I was put on a low carb diet. I'm to keep my carbs under 30 per day and was given a list of what I could eat (which includes lots of solid food). I was told to take milk of magnesia and an acid reducer for the 2 days before surgery and I'm to be on clear sugar-free liquids the day before surgery. Does anyone else have a pre-op diet resembling mine?

Yes. I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I have to eat high Protein, low carb, and no sugar. Basically, I'll be eating a Protein shake for Breakfast, and lean meat and veggies for both lunch and dinner. And the last 48 hrs before surgery, I will be on a clear liquid diet. Have you started yours yet? If so, how's it going?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I start my clear liquid diet today, but I did do liquids yesterday (but thicker) I had Protein shakes all day. I wanted to make today a bit easier on myself so I didn't have any solid food yesterday. Today only broth, tea, Water, crystal light, diet popsicles.

The pre-op diet is not all about shrinking the liver. It's about whether or not you can make a change as directed by your physician. Your chances of success after WLS largely depends on your ability to change your eating to what is recommended to you by the professionals, not to "do the best you can". If you are struggling this much prior to surgery, you might need to do some soul-searching as to whether or not you are willing to change and to what extent. If you cheat before you even have your surgery, what happens when you are post-op and cheat? You don't lose weight. Don't put all your faith into the surgery enforcing the changes that are necessary; you can absolutely eat around your sleeve/pouch. You have to be 100% commited to the program prescribed for you. Lots of little cheats add up quickly. And yes, there have been people who go in for surgery, and the surgeon closes them back up and sends them home for having a liver that is still too large. Please don't take this as me being mean, I really do understand how hard it is; I was on liquids only for 2 weeks pre-op and 3 weeks post-op. I did 5 weeks of liquids because I wanted my surgery AND I wanted it to work. Best of luck to you! You can do anything you set your mind to!!

The pre-op diet is not all about shrinking the liver. It's about whether or not you can make a change as directed by your physician. Your chances of success after WLS largely depends on your ability to change your eating to what is recommended to you by the professionals, not to "do the best you can". If you are struggling this much prior to surgery, you might need to do some soul-searching as to whether or not you are willing to change and to what extent. If you cheat before you even have your surgery, what happens when you are post-op and cheat? You don't lose weight. Don't put all your faith into the surgery enforcing the changes that are necessary; you can absolutely eat around your sleeve/pouch. You have to be 100% commited to the program prescribed for you. Lots of little cheats add up quickly. And yes, there have been people who go in for surgery, and the surgeon closes them back up and sends them home for having a liver that is still too large. Please don't take this as me being mean, I really do understand how hard it is; I was on liquids only for 2 weeks pre-op and 3 weeks post-op. I did 5 weeks of liquids because I wanted my surgery AND I wanted it to work. Best of luck to you! You can do anything you set your mind to!!

The bolded is true for about 85% of the reason why surgeons put you on a pre-op diet, along with adjusting to the new lifestyle after surgery. If the liver is enlarged the surgeon may not be able to move it enough out of the way to operate in a safe manner and could abort the procedure.

Follow your surgeon's pre-op plan. Call them if you are struggling to see what they can advise.

Can you have the Meal Replacement Protein mixes? I had those the prior to my surgery. Surprisingly they were quite filling.

They came in a variety of flavors and types and all I had to do was mix in warm or cold Water.

Hang in there, we know you can do it!

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

"And yes, there have been people who go in for surgery, and the surgeon closes them back up and sends them home for having a liver that is still too large".

I mentioned the consequences of not shrinking the liver enough. My point was to address the psychology of "cheating" and how it affects outcomes.

So its interesting that most of the comments I've seen about the pre-op diet people on are liquids. I was NOT put on a liquid diet. I was put on a low carb diet. I'm to keep my carbs under 30 per day and was given a list of what I could eat (which includes lots of solid food). I was told to take milk of magnesia and an acid reducer for the 2 days before surgery and I'm to be on clear sugar-free liquids the day before surgery. Does anyone else have a pre-op diet resembling mine?

Mine was a regular diet until the day before. That last day was Clear Liquids, Jello, popsicles, etc.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

@@melvin5ft2 mine is going to be very similar to yours, but I don't know yet how many carbs I am allowed. I'm thanking my lucky stars I'm not on liquids!

After 8 days on the liquid diet, I've honestly gotten to the point that I don't even bother to drink all the shakes. It's 4pm, I've had 2 shakes and about a quart of Water, and I worked out for awhile (burned 300 calories on the exercise bike). Six days to go!!