Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a newbie(who listens) needing advice from a vet..

I love banana Protein shakes!

I simply add a few drops of banana flavored extract to my vanilla Protein shake.

I get all of the yummy banana taste with none of the sugar/calories.

I think I'll go have one now. Thank you for suggesting it. :)

Yess! What a wonderful alternative! Where can I find banana extract?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I was afraid of bananas, too. EEEK!

I would buy the tiniest bananas I could find and blend in 1/2 (so maybe 2.5 inches worth?) until I found SF banana Torani Syrup. It's usually near the coffee and it's really good. A pump or two in my chocolate Protein shake made me a very happy girl!

If you can't find it in stores (World Market has tons of SF Flavors), look on Amazon.< /p>

I love banana Protein shakes!

I simply add a few drops of banana flavored extract to my vanilla Protein shake.

Just about any grocery store----in with the spices. The same place where you would buy vanilla.

There are dozens of flavors. Root beer is one of my favorites. Added to a vanilla Protein Shake and I have a root beer float.

Think outside the box. Go a wee bit "extract/flavor" crazy..

Make it fun! :)

I love Banana Protein shakes!

Just about any grocery store----in with the spices. The same place where you would buy vanilla.

There are dozens of flavors. Root beer is one of my favorites. Added to a vanilla Protein Shake and I have a root beer float.

Think outside the box. Go a wee bit "extract/flavor" crazy..

Make it fun! :)

Yes! Woohoo! Thanks!

You are very welcome, Friend.

We are here to help one another, are we not??

I think we are. :)

You are very welcome, Friend.

We are here to help one another, are we not??

I think we are. :)

Yes! I just want to be as successful as most of you all! I really do appreciate the advice!

I had banana's pretty early in my recovery, but I am thinking maybe 1/4 at a time. They are incredibly nutritious but as mentioned they are high carbs. If at a later time you become a workout fanatic like some, you will find them an excellent pre-workout food. If you are just missing the flavor, I heartily recommend Gold Standard banana Creme Protein powder:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/optimum-nutrition-100-whey-gold-standard-banana-cream-2-lb-powder/op-1048

I usually do a half scoop of this and a half scoop of my Peanut Butter Protein powder (NOT PB2!). It also goes well with the chocolate powders.

As a side note, if you have a Vitamin Shoppe store near you I recommend you shop there while you are discovering Protein powders. It took me forever to find Gold Standard (my fav) and they will let you buy those giant tubs and bring them back if you can't stand them. I have taken back several that I found to be awful and received full in store credit. I may pay a dollar or two more inside the store, but their knowledgeable staff, return policy, and customer service totally make it worth going there in my opinion.

@@scampbell33 - My NUT actually encouraged me to start adding some berries, or banana, or steel cut oatmeal when I was 3 months in because I was hitting the gym hard and starting to to run again. I think I had the same fear this might be a gateway drug to more carbs. Thankfully no it wasn't. ;-)

I had banana's pretty early in my recovery, but I am thinking maybe 1/4 at a time. They are incredibly nutritious but as mentioned they are high carbs. If at a later time you become a workout fanatic like some, you will find them an excellent pre-workout food. If you are just missing the flavor, I heartily recommend Gold Standard Banana Creme Protein powder:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/optimum-nutrition-100-whey-gold-standard-banana-cream-2-lb-powder/op-1048

I usually do a half scoop of this and a half scoop of my Peanut Butter Protein powder (NOT PB2!). It also goes well with the chocolate powders.

As a side note, if you have a Vitamin Shoppe store near you I recommend you shop there while you are discovering protein powders. It took me forever to find Gold Standard (my fav) and they will let you buy those giant tubs and bring them back if you can't stand them. I have taken back several that I found to be awful and received full in store credit. I may pay a dollar or two more inside the store, but their knowledgeable staff, return policy, and customer service totally make it worth going there in my opinion.

Great to know! Thanks! I will be going to the Vitamin shop!! I can count on both hands how many tubs of protein powders I have in my cupboard that never get touched!! ????lol

Bananas are very high in sugar. Despite that, I occasionally (I mean maybe once or twice a month) make a banana Protein or banana/PB2 shake. I only use half the banana and try to buy smaller ones when I shop in the store. This is one of those choices we all make. What's acceptable and what isn't.

Back in my Atkins days I would not have had one because they do have a lot of carbs. I'm allowing myself between 50-100 carbs a day, though, so the occasional banana is doable. You should be fine so long as you track your eating. If you're doing low carb, though, you might want to find a different fruit (berries are a decent choice).