Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery Q - recovery

Yeah if absolutely necessary!

Working beyond grief for a better life!

I had surgery on Thursday and felt pretty great yesterday - but I kept up with my pain meds and that's the reason I wouldn't have wanted to go to work. I woke up in pain and took them first thing in the morning. I didn't take them yet today and if today goes well I am considering swinging by the office tomorrow. You'll know if you feel up for it. I don't love the idea of being around coworkers and superiors while on codeine - it's strong stuff !

I've had a good recovery so far though. No trouble getting in fluids or Protein, good energy, I've been able to take long walks. So fingers crossed you feel great as well.

Bev, great point! I didn't think of that!!

Working beyond grief for a better life!

yes I say it's a little crazy.....I work from home and had surgery on Monday and started working again the next Monday..My original plan was to start back on Wednesday but I scheduled the whole week just in case, and I was glad I did.......I wasn't in pain and never took any pain meds once I came home, but I was just really tired. The difference in this surgery and the others you mentioned is you won't be able to get enough nutrition to give you energy.....

But I say if you can do it, go for it! I think the faster you are able to get back to normal the faster you heal....just don't over do it!!!

Good luck!!

I had my surgery on Tuesday July 5. My plans were to work Thursday, since I work from home. However, I was to exhausted. The pain was manageable, even the gas pain :). But I was so tired. Today is the first day I feel close to normal again. Just pace yourself...maybe half days?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a c-section and truthfully my c-section was easier. I was up and about like nothing. But these gas pain from the sleeve and meeting the Protein amount and stuff is so much harder.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

@@beyondgrief,

I don’t know if it’s possible. A lot of WLS patients feel at their worst 2 days post-op. There can be a lot of pain.

Something that would worry me would be hydration and energy, too. Even if surgery goes perfectly, it’s impossible to predict if you will be one of the patients who has a really tough time getting enough fluids in you post-op. It can be really hard to swallow. I would worry that you would go to work in a weakened and slightly dehydrated state, push yourself too hard, and delay recovery or even get seriously dehydrated.

Are you working at a job where if you did end up feeling worse than you expected, you could get Friday off last-minute?

Also, do you get weekends off? If so, I would think it would make sense to not plan to go back until at least Monday. That would give you more solid days of rest before worrying about work.

Good luck!

There is no way I could have went back to work that soon. I was super miserable for the first 5 days and still have pain 10 days out, but good luck

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@beyondgrief

Are you working at a job where if you did end up feeling worse than you expected, you could get Friday off last-minute?

Absolutely, if I needed it they would be fine. I get weekends off as well. I just am trying not to take off any more time than necessary because I was off on maternity leave. They also see me as family so worst case it won't be held against me if I can't make it in Friday....it's just not planned off at this time.

Thank you for your feedback (and founding this board!!!)

Also, do you get weekends off? If so, I would think it would make sense to not plan to go back until at least Monday. That would give you more solid days of rest before worrying about work.

Yes lack of energy and not wanting to use it in getting dressed up or commuting and wanting to be able to rest when needed.

Do your body a favor and take some time.

If you have any choice, please don't do that. This is very serious surgery.

I am scheduled for surgery july27 and have a Disney trip planned with my children Labor Day weekend. That will be 5 weeks out. Will I be ok or should I reschedule?

I would be concerned about staying hydrated. If you have trouble getting your fluids in, it would be best to reschedule. You also don't know how much energy you will have at that point. You may be doing great, or you may be dragging through your days.