Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op complications

Please keep us updated as you get checked out -- when you can and feel up to it. I'm sure you are totally overwhelmed and worried. We are thinking of you. I hope in a few short months this will be behind you and you can start enjoying what you've accomplished.

I know your daughter was very hard on you before surgery and these complications will just "prove her right," but given the dire straits you are in, could she come in a day and help you? Especially since your condition is so touch and go. Even just the company would do you good.

To be honest, I don't actually have the physical strength to sit in A & E just now. I have to be back at the hospital wednesday night at 7:30 pm ( I have no idea how I will do that) for a repeat CT scan to see what the abscess is doing. As I will be there already, I may just hold out until after the scan then go to A&E to ask for help for my legs. I haven't slept more than an hour at a time in days, still not getting many calories in. I am simply exhausted, completely done in. I would pay someone to see me privately if I could figure out how.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You need to be admitted by the sounds of things. You are probably deficient in many Vitamins and nutrients - which can be life threatening! You will not heal if you aren't able to eat / drink and get in nutrients. This is the time to advocate for yourself - get someone to help you - call your family and tell them it is a matter of life or death and you need their help! You can't continue on like this.

I am hoping that once this CT scan is done Wednesday night, my surgical team will make a care plan. They confirmed today that I am dehydrated but say that my nutritional levels are acceptable.

My daughter has been helping me while in hospital and is doing her best for me.

@@GinaCampbell, Oh, I am so glad your daughter is helping you out and you mended fences! Wonderful.

While you are in a terrible place right now, it sounds like you may get admitted Wednesday night and get the scan done and IV fluids in, which is great. Getting the gallbladder out and surgical care after that procedure will be a godsend to have someone more closely monitoring your recovery. Thank God your nutritional levels are good! I can't believe it after all you have been through, but that's good!

Praying you are in a much better place in a month from now; healing and feeling better -- and getting to finally enjoy the fruits of your labor.

My daughter and I are very close which is why she objected so to this surgery. She was completely aware that my ill health would prevent a speedy and successful recovery. I just refused to believe it. I was so seduced by the thought of losing weight. I did ask the surgical team about my auto immune issues, the fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue etc. I was assured none of that would matter.

I fully understand why my family objected so much. Losing six months plus of my life for an elective surgery, was definitely not worth it.

I am not being admitted Wednesday, only having a scan. They will look over the results and phone me Friday.

It will be the same team and the same hospital and aftercare where I developed the abdominal abscess so my confidence is low. It will take around six weeks for my name to come up for the surgery, so hopefully I will be in better shape by then.

I am emotionally and mentally exhausted.

Sending hugs your way! I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. I hope things begin to turn around for you!

thank you! I still have the abscess and now have to have my gallbladder removed. Still on fluids eight weeks out.

Perhaps the best thing is to get the gall bladder removed. Mine made me so sick and only after it was removed did I start to feel better. I have also had a hematoma behind my belly button. They sucked it out with a needle and I had instant relief. I'm so you're suffering, but soon all this will be behind you. Your health will be better then ever and you'll have no regrets! Hang in there, it'll pass.

Edited by sleevenv

Gina- sending warm wishes to you from Florida.☀️ I am 3 weeks out & now have infection where they removed my drain. Praying there won't be complications. I hope you get the support you need! Luckily I had my gallbladder out last year. It was a quick and easy surgery & made me feel so much better. It helped relieve abdominal cramping and pain. I complain about paying deductibles but can't imagine how you have to cope with National health care. If we all send good thoughts and wishes hopefully you will get the help that you need! Just know- you are not alone. We all feel your pain. Keep the faith

I'm so sorry for your difficulties! wish I had answers for you. I can't imagine living alone and being so weak. Wish I could do something. I'm praying for you

VSG 6/17/2016

Thank you so much for all of your kind words and prayers. It means so much!

Hi Gina

I will keep you in my prayers and will be asking for a fast healing to you. Since you drop weight so fast you might be lacking in VitaminB12. Low Vitamin B12 brings all kind of problems like depression,lack of energy, short breath , leg pain and the list goes on.i was very low in vitaminB12 because I had a stomach bacteria. After major treatment and few shots of Vitamin B12 I am ok.

Alot of my problem is what I do eat, going straight through. Then I get dehydrated. Can't really get ahead.

Hi all, nearly six weeks out and still very ill from a post op abdominal abscess. Was told yesterday I have to have my gallbladder out too.

I can only get in around 100 cals a day and 500 ml of Water so I have dropped almost 60lbs in six weeks.

I am so frightened that I won't survive another surgery.

Having another CT scan Wednesday to discuss a guided aspiration of the abscess. The surgeon has already told me that he thinks that it would be too dangerous.

Will I ever get well?

All I can do is go from the bed to the couch and back everyday. Even showering is hard.

I live alone so have to take care of myself.

I pray all the time because that is all I can do. I have a counsellor who phones me on a Friday morning. She says that I have to keep fighting but I am so tired, so ill and in such despair.

I keep reading about all these people eating this and that, drinking Protein etc.

It makes me feel so sad and so scared.

I just want to go to sleep but my circulation is so poor that I have to keep moving. If I do sleep for an hour or so, I wake up in agony in my hips and legs as if no blood is moving at all.

I don't think I can take much more.

Talk to your doctor's about SCD'S (sequential compression device) they wrap around your legs while you are laying down and electronically inflate/compress and deflate/decompress to help increase regular circulation. They are usually used for patients Post-op or for people who are less mobile but they may be able to issue some to use at home.

Tuani