Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days Out, Feel Overfull, Nauseated and More

Could use a little advice please.

First, I checked my discharge papers to see when to call the doc, and none of these apply.

Ok. Had surgery on June 28, so I'm ten days out. Surgery went well, til later that evening I began vomiting blood. This continued for 24 hours. Two units of blood plus tons of Zofran and Pherenagan (sp?) later, I was ok. I was released on July 2nd. No pain meds since June 30.

Since home, I've kept up with my liquids. Read conflicting information on whether to start Protein now or wait til two weeks had passed. So, I had my first Protein yesterday and continued today. I've been getting 60-80 oz of Fluid every day.

Here's where I'm worried. I've had one bowel movement. Ok. It was a bunch in one, for about two hours, on July 4th. Haven't went since, nor felt the urge to. Now, I've been farting and burping enough to make a sailor blush. More burping though. Deep burps, at least every ten minutes or so.

Also, I began strained cream Soups four days ago and are only that for two days, ate one chocolate sugar free pudding (divided into two separate meals) two days ago, and yesterday only ate 1/4 cup of refried Beans that I added chicken broth to and blended to a bean Soup.

Starting late last night, I felt full. Long after eating. Like, getting Water today has been a challenge, as it feels like from my belly button up I am fuller than a tick. Not painful, but uncomfortable. Today, I have had no desire to eat, and am feeling nauseous, dizzy when I stand, and feel like I could barf at any moment. I just took my first phenegran (let's see how many different ways I can spell that! Lol), in hopes it will help, but I could sure use some advice on if I really do need to call the doc with my lack of pooping and feeling so full and nauseated, or should I just go back to Clear Liquids and hope this will pass?

Oh, and I've lost 20 pounds too! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by HunnyBlossom

It is actually more important to get fluids than to eat. You should call your doctor though, any time you are concerned.

Ok here is my advice, I am 6 weeks post surgery:)

Don't take this to harshly ok.. It's the advice you need :)

I can't believe what you are eating, creamed Soups are the worst, for your diet and for your system. Retired Beans, not good either:/ 10 days out you should still be on Clear Liquids. Jello, chicken broth, popsicles. Try not to put in any empty calories, like pudding even tho it's sugar free your body doesn't need it. If you want something like that blend up a banana but not until you are on soft foods. Stick with the clear liquids, until your body catches up to the surgery. As far as not pooping that much, that's completely normal. I had the same thing happen to me, don't eat things to make yourself go it will come out when it's good and ready. The gas you have is I'm guessing still from surgery, they blow your stomach up with gas so they came preform the surgery better. It takes a while for it to all come out. Drink things slowwwww and you'll find yourself having less gas. Sip sip sip..also try premium Protein it comes in vanilla chocolate and strawberry, it's awesome. I use the vanilla in my coffee instead of coffee cream, I'm killing two birds with one stone because I'm getting my Protein and liquid in when I do that. 20 pds is awesome! But on week 3 you will have a stall. Don't get upset it's just your body is holding on to every single fat cells because it's still confused on what's going on..you'll start loosing again on week 4..hope this helps :) good luck:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are meeting your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. It is also important to do 30 minutes of walking each day (or equivalent exercise). Weight loss is achieved by meal volume control. In the beginning you are limited to 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal. This is an incredibly minuscule amount of food. This will increase over the next year and a half to 1 cup per meal.

Prior to surgery I was given a binder that had all the requirements of the program. It told me what was acceptable foods at each stage after surgery, how much to eat, when to transition from full liquids, to pureed foods, to solid foods. It is important to follow those guidelines, if you want to avoid some of the problems that you are describing.

Thank you so much for your insight. I was given three different nutritional packets along my journey, one from the doc with almost no information, one from my NUT which was really odd, and one from the hospital with my Dr.'s name on it, that said I could have the foods I've described.

For now, I'll happily stick to clear liquids and hope this passes, and get an appointment with a new NUT, not one that is just passing me through for insurance requirements. If it does get any worse, I will call the doc.

Thank you again. You are truly appreciated!

I'm nearly a year out from my bypass, and refried Beans (fat free in the beginning) and creamed Soups (especially diluted with a little milk) were a staple for me by about three weeks out. I was cleared for pureed food at 20 days post op (a little earlier than their average, but they take things on an "as tolerated" basis often) by my surgeon who is one of four surgeons at a center of excellence with an extremely low death/complication rate. I had no complications, and I've lost 221 pounds. So as for refried Beans and creamed soups being bad... not really. Especially in the beginning when you WANT extra calories and it's hard to get them in. My bloodwork has been perfect throughout this entire experience. You may just be trying to eat them too soon.

As for your pain/fullness, it's entirely possible that it is just gas, as others have said, but as with any pain or difficulty eating after surgery, you should feel free to contact your doctor and ask questions. That's what they are there for, and what they are paid for. And they want you to be safe, healthy and successful! :) So if you are concerned in any way, give them a call. The worst that can happen is for them to say "that's abnormal, come in for a check" and then you can get whatever the problem is taken care of. Most likely, your system is just not quite ready for the foods you are eating. That happens, as everyone is different and some people can handle things sooner than others.

As for the pooping thing, I admit I was a little alarmed in the beginning too. I generally only go twice a week or so now, but it makes sense to be so infrequent. You have barely any food in your system, and your intestines were probably pretty clear before surgery because of the pre-op diet. Again, if you're concerned, ask. They want to help you any way they can.

Here's my plan, in case you're interested. This worked very well for me and the hundreds of other people I've interacted with at the support group I attend at my center of excellence. https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/MediaLibraries/URMCMedia/hh/services-centers/bariatrics/documents/Bariatric_Meal_Plan_Pureed.pdf

Hope this helps! And I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there and listen intently to your body. Soon you'll feel much, much better and be on your way to a new life.

Edited by Cervidae

I was wondering when I read this ....I haven't had surgery yet, but from everything that I've read, you were only supposed to be on liquids 10 days out ...and then work your way to soft food (in few weeks?)....

Everyone is different. The recommended time frame for food stages are just that, recommendations. My nut said if I try purée a bit before the 2 week period and it is easy on my stomach then I can continue on purée.

In the beginning I felt nauseous and couldn't figure out. I now either feel hungry or uncomfortable. Hard to find my happy medium.

I'm 3 months post op sleeve.

@@Cervidae, holy crap woman! Your achievements are absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing what worked with you. After the reaction of some of the people who responded, I went back and checked my paperwork, and it did say that I'm where I'm supposed to be with the food. I'm thinking because of the vomiting complication I had, things might be taking a bit longer to heal. After speaking with the doc on call today, we agreed that I should use my discharge date rather than my actual surgery date as I tiptoe into the next stages of nutrition. That, and to take Ducolax cause I'm probably plugged up. Any fever or vomiting and I will need to head to the ER.

@@summerebanks, I hope you are able to find your happy medium quickly.

Again, I thank you all for your responses. It's shown me that I need to get more support on the homefront when it comes to nutrition, because I will beat this. Being fat sucks.

I don't think the cream Soups & refriend Beans are a good idea. I'm 5 days post op and I have to be on liquids for 3 weeks. I'm also not going to the bathroom. My surgeon suggested if I go longer then 7 days take dulcalax or something similar. 20lbs you go girl!!!! I haven't seen ant movement on the scale :-(

You should also be taking colace one a day to soften your stool. That was prescribed by surgeon. I still have the gas so I'm thinking that's a good sign things are working in there.

Good luck!! Hope this rough patch smooths out. God knows we all have them.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App

Everyone is different. The recommended time frame for food stages are just that, recommendations. My nut said if I try purée a bit before the 2 week period and it is easy on my stomach then I can continue on purée.

In the beginning I felt nauseous and couldn't figure out. I now either feel hungry or uncomfortable. Hard to find my happy medium.

I'm 3 months post op sleeve.

That's scary..."either hungry or uncomfortable (no happy medium)" hopefully that subsides soon....

After my June 7 RNY, I was discharged on the 8th and all looked good. In the meantime, my body was forming adhesions that would cause 2 more hospitalizations and 1 more surgery.

Sounds like it's time to contact your surgeon.