Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I being delusional?

I'd say that probably neither of those descriptions is right. And that maybe "not fully educated about WLS" could apply to you. ;)

The two spoonfuls capacity will last about a week or two post-op and is due mostly to your newly created and traumatized and super-swollen sleeve being held together only with staples at that point and hasn't even begun to knit together / heal yet.

(The following sleeve capacity predictions are just estimates, although there is some variation patient to patient.)

By six months you'll probably be able to eat at least 3/4 cup of dense Protein, healthy (non-starchy) veggies and maybe a little whole grains.

A year or a year and a half out you will be up to a cup of food (same foods, see above) at one sitting.

However, please know that you could "graze" (nibble) all day on "slider foods" (highly processed, starchy, sugary foods, e.g., chips, Cookies, ice cream, chips, dips, etc.) and eat as many calories in a day as you're now able to eat.

Here are the long-term odds for success for all WLS patients: You have a 50% chance of keeping all or most of your weight loss off and a 50% of regaining most or even all of it back.

Losing the weight post-op is comparatively easy. Maintenance (and the lessons you learn along the way about how NOT to regain) is the more challenging part of this program.

Good luck to you.

You will definitely need more than two bites to make you feel "full" beyond the first month or so post-op. You will still not be able to eat anywhere near the same amount of food in one sitting as you could pre-op. But like @@VSGAnn2014, ifyou eat small amounts all day long, you can still sabotage yourself. If you drink your calories or eat a lot of slider foods, you can still sabotage yourself. If you go back to eating and drinking at the same time, you can still sabotage yourself.

I am preop, waiting for insurance to approve me.

I am so excited about the prospect of eating 2 bites of food and feeling full. I could never imagine feeling that way right now after 2 bites.

Am I being realistic, or am I delusional

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree with the previous posters. Also, keep in mind there is a difference between "full" and "satisfied". I prefer being satisfied to full (which is uncomfortable and icky).

@@Inner Surfer Girl - there is a difference between "full" and "satisfied". I prefer being satisfied to full (which is uncomfortable and icky).

That is a great way to put it.

You definately need to do more research. This is not just "eating two bites and being full"

Girl, that is in the beginning. I'm more than 3 years post op and I can eat quite a bit at a time. Still no where near what I used to be able to eat. I lost 120 pounds but gained 50 pounds back while I was pregnant. I still haven't lost the 50 pounds. Eating carbs is the worst thing you can do because you can eat a lot more of those and graze on those all day long. That is my problem, I graze all day and eat too many carbs.

Thanks for all your input! I have been doing my research for about 9 months now and I feel super prepared, just some conflicting stories to compare to the books I've read. (Sleeved life and big book on the gastric sleeve) some people say they feel full after "just a couple bites" so I wanted to put it in perspective. Thanks y'all!

I am six weeks out and cannot eat any "bites" yet. I always feel full even though I only drink Water and have popscicles.

I feel full after about 4 bites of dense protein! It's a great feeling I an 8 weeks post op just trying to really stick to the 3 meals with a couple of very small Snacks ! Everything is new so the motivation is high hopefully it will stay that way!