Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in education getting sleeved?

I'm a teacher too. Surgery is August 3, back to work on the 22nd.

I'm a high school teacher. I was sleeved on 7/14/16 and I return to school on 8/4. My energy level was pretty low week 1, but now almost 2 weeks out it's pretty normal. My only concern about going back is the pain I am having on my left side. It's pretty severe when I am in a sitting position. While I spend most of the day on my feet teaching anyway, I am concerned about sitting through 2 days of PD and not being able to sit and plan like I need to be doing right now. While my team assures me that this pain is normal, I think mine is a bit more extreme than most or I'm being a baby about it.

I started my process May 23. I stressed to the team how I wanted it done before school started up and they totally got it done. I'm being sleeved July 28 would have been sooner but I had to use the CPAP machine for 30 consecutive days.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I too am a teacher with surgery on August 3rd but my day to go back is August 8th! It is going to be an incredible challenge. The doc said I can do it as long as I don't drive while on pain pills and keep hydrated.

I'm in education and thinking same thing. I don't meet with doctors until August 3rd. I want to have my asap, thinks it will be around Christmas. Which is not yo bad? How long do you gave stay home?

I teach first grade and backed my surgery up to thanksgiving break. I missed a total of seven instruction days. I was completely honest with my principal about my surgery. She and my coworkers were very supportive. Although, they eyeball what I eat and drink like crazy. I could have gone back to work after a week, though I would have been pretty tired. I just told my students that I had to have surgery and they I needed them help me by being calm and gentle. They were great! The hardest thing for me was getting in my Water and Proteins at work. Definitely bring Protein shakes to work and sip throughout the day. I had a very easy transition to solids as well. I'm about 9 months out and have only gotten sick once, and has just a slight mustard intolerance. Best of luck to you!

I too am a teacher

I had to take10 says off. When I went back I had to carry around a Protein shake and I also had to drink tea. My blood sugar would get low. That was the most difficult thing. It is mentally difficult. Be prepared!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

I'm so happy I found this post, I too am a teacher and scheduled to have my surgery Aug 8th...students return the 22. I started this process last school year hoping to have the procedure down this summer, but things did not go as planned so here I am. I'm worried about my energy level during school hours. I teach 4th grade so am constantly on the move. Ughh.

I am a counselor at a school and I will be having my surgery on August 8. I'm going to be taking about a month off so will be going back to school on September 6. Or at least that's the plan. Like others, I believe it's important for you to take care of yourself. Si do what you need to so that you'll be healthy.

@@SleevedAmy Thank you for the tip about tea in addition to the Protein drink. I will be doing half days (God willing) 6 days after surgery. My daughter and son will be there to help and my principal is in the know. I have to do ESL testing and nobody else is available to do it until the following week (I'd still have to train them...). It will be a one moment at a time situation.

Well I am a college student returning for my last year of college August 18th. My college is 45 minutes away from my home town. And I was worried how this would work out considering I would have to commute back and forth from my home town to my doctors appointments and back to my college town. I have a job as a peer mentor and I'll be out for 2 weeks.

I haven't scheduled mine yet, but I plan on taking off at the end of November. As several other people have mentioned here, you should never feel bad or guilty about taking time to take care of yourself, and this is one of those times where we need to take care of ourselves. =]

Anyone still here? How is everyone doing?