Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I will be 2 months post op on July 9th...my 21st birthday is July 10th, is it to early to have a sip of a drink? I don't want to drink a whole ton, just be able to order s drink at dinner and take a sip! Any advice?

Check with your surgeon. If you do, be aware, it will hit you FAR faster than pre-surgery.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

For me personally, two months out would have been fine to have a drink. But do check with your surgeon and evaluate your body. Have you tolerated most foods well? How do you feel? I healed very quickly and knew I could tolerate it.

Some advice though:

-Hard liquor made me throw up instantly. I only tried it once since surgery, and I threw up immediately. I haven't attempted it since.

- I cant have beer since it is carbonated and I am only allowed carbonated drinks after 12 months to avoid discomfort, so I cant drink that.

- The only thing I drink is wine. I really enjoy pink moscato and it is light enough to drink without stomach issues. After one glass I can feel it, and after two I am REALLY feeling it. Pre surgery I could've drank a whole bottle and barely felt it. Be careful, and keep in mind that all alcoholic beverages are high in sugar and calories.

But also, have a good time and happy 21st!!

@@haleymarie

Ask your Dr, but most Doctors want you to wait at least 3 months.

If you have to drink something, Vodka neat or Vodka and Tonic are better choices.

Beer is basically the worst thing you can drink, it is just liquid bread.< /p>

And if you are going to drink, eat out etc, plan it in your calories. Like have Protein shakes all day to save the calories for celebrating.

I agree with the above posts, and having a sip being something special for a 21 birthday. It's also a chance to think more deeply about what turning 21 means for you after such a major life-reclaiming decision and surgery.

I know I'm old, so it feels like mine was back in the dark ages (I'm 54), but I've had other recent milestones/events and loved that sip of celebratory champagne or now scotch from time to time. The surgery and weight loss progress have given me so much in terms of better health and a far greater life, it feels like honoring that now gets to take a much bigger part of my personal internal center stage.

I'm sure you already know this stuff, I just don't want you to be too surprised if the experience of the new legal permission to order a drink is less of a thrill than you'd anticipated, or than it is for your peers. What other things make this a landmark year or turning point for you? What permissions or promises are you giving yourself as a gift?

And btw, congratulations on your surgery AND on turning 21! :D

Go slow slow slow. Take your time, listen to your body and don't push yourself. Happy Birthday in advance!