Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling - How do you do it!?!?!

How do you all make exercise a part of your life?

Every day at work I say I am going to go home tonight pick the kids up and go to the gym. Every day I pick the kids up, feed them dinner and then lounge around the house. After the sun goes down a few days a week I go riding my bicycle around the neighborhood.

I am really struggling with making exercise a part of my day. My spouse is a work out fanatic but he can work out at work or on his way home occasionally and I cannot. I keep begging him to take me to the gym because I know if he were to go with me I would absolutley go. I should be able to do this on my own though and its aggrivating that I dont follow through.

Working out in the morning is NOT an option at all. I have two small children who cannot be left in bed sleeping and my spouse goes to work VERY early in the morning. And I have to pick up my children before heading to the gym.

How do you all do it?

Can you try going on the weekends? Or just do something active with family on the weekends. Or what about just walking and biking during the week. If the kiddies are very little you could include them in the walk by using a stroller (that would provide some resistance). Or you could try work out videos, pick up something fun, and do it after kiddies are asleep. Ask hubbie if he wouldn't mind looking after kiddies while you work out. Set a doable goal for yourself, 30 minutes of moving, 4 times a week. Add to it every couple of weeks. 35 minutes, 40 minutes, an extra day. Eventually it will become a part of your lifestyle. I know it hasn't yet become a part of mine, I'm still working on it. I've only been working out for 2 months, and I enjoy the feeling that I get when I do it, but often I'm too busy, or too tired, or a plethora of other excuses. But I have come to the realization that for me, a healthy lifestyle does include exercise. It doesn't matter when you work out, or what kind of exercise that your doing, just be sure to move as much as possible. I have a real hard time motivating myself to just get up a do something and I don't even have kiddies. I use LBT to post as much as possible about exercise because it makes me realized how much I'm actually doing...

You have to make it a priority. Even if you don't want to do it. I also have two kids (6 and 4) and I work 50 hours a week. Most of the time I manage two 1 hour workouts a day. Do you get a lunch break? I spend my 30 minutes lunch and 15 minute breaks walking three miles. I just bring a protien bar and munch it on the way. So nights I do not want to workout at all. But I just get up and do it. Starting out is the hardest part. Eventually it does get easier. can you afford to get a treadmill or an elliptical? Then you could do something at home in the morning. I work at 5am so I can't really workout in the morning but if I worked at 7 or later I absolutly would

Hi there,

I was faced with the same dilema. I work full time. I'm a single mother of a 6 year old. So what finally worked for me is getting a membership at the YMCA which has free child care for 2 hours. I look at it as a break from my kid too! The real trick is..packing up your work clothes before you go to work and bringing them with you. I pick up my daughter and go straight there. There is no way it would work if I went home first. I know this. I even feel bad cause the dog is sitting at home with his legs crossed but he seems to be okay. So yeah if you really want to fit in exercise u just have to figure out what works for you and make it a routine. Good luck..it sure is worth it if you do!

Di

If I were you I would start in the morning doing yoga, stepping or aerobics at home. Twice a week to start would be great, that way you are at home but still building strength.

I know it is a struggle it was for me... but now I run 4 times a week.

Dawn

banded April 6th, 2006

Montreal

358/165/158

i go early morning (420ish) then go to work, but that doesnt look like it would be good for you...

one suggestion, dont put this off on your DH ... you need to do this for YOU!!! :mad:

i liked the idea that someone had about tapes/videos in the morning, but i think you will get more out of maybe going to the Y.

i agree with packing the night or morning before. i find if i do not pack my clothes the night before, i am not going to work out the next day.

best of luck to you

(i had Dr. Marsden as my Sx too)

Thanks guys! I needed a kick in the pants I guess. I am going to go tonight with or without my darling supportive but suddenly very lazy husband :mad:

I think I will write up a work out schedule that way I have a "plan" of what activity I am going to do ahead of time.

You guys rock!

Losing- I spent some time on your website lastnight and loved it! You are doing fabulous with your weight loss. I have been taking my pics in the same clothes too. You are a huge inspiration to those of us who are just starting out on this journey. Keep up the great work! Marsden was a sweety! Did you ever go to one of their support group meetings at AIGB

?

ragdollx,

thanks! i love being able to show people that the lapband works, IF you work it... i havent been to the support meetings, but may go to the one on Sept 10th.

I try not to think about it. I exercise every day. That way I don't have to make a decision every day. Once I get started-I generally enjoy. But even if I exercise a short while it helps and doing it everyday helps to make it a habit. I guess if I were sick I would skip that day, but since I have started my exercise routine I haven't been sick!

I'm struggling with the same thing - how to fit exercise into a hectic schedule when you're a single mom with a full time job. I think the hardest thing is just the pure EXHAUSTION all the time from just the daily routine (and being fat). Sometimes I get home from work and my body physically hurts, I'm practically falling asleep as I stumble in the door. I think my only hope is to just get up earlier and do it before the day takes it's toll. I'm sure when the weight comes under control, exercise gets more enjoyable, or at least more tolerable! I hope!

When I went to the gym, I would go on my lunch break and eat lunch at my desk while working. We have a gym at work, but if we didn't, we have gyms within 2 miles of work all over.. is that an option for you?

I was having the same problem. I work shift work, 2 weeks days and 2 weeks nights. I don't have a problem when I work nights but it is almost impossiable during the day cause I work 12 hrs a day. I have a small child that is in 2nd grade. She has homework and I need to fix dinner. I will just have to get up with the (4:20ish) people. Thanks I didn't even think of that!

I will just have to get up with the (4:20ish) people. Thanks I didn't even think of that!

it is not an easy thing and there are a couple days a month i just dont want to get out of bed and actually stay in. ALL days i dont want to ... :rolleyes: but it really is worth it.

Well this is just what i need!

I am a full time working mum too. I have found every excuse in the book. I have an exercise bike but my excuse not to use it is that it hurts my BuTT LOL

I was thinking lastnight that i can do steps on our steps to the verandah. Even just a little will be better than nothing...

Thanks for the question and the responses!

Think of it as time for you. I always make sure I go to the gym if I'm having a crappy day, it helps work out the anger/frustration of the day.

Get something to listen to music to, it makes the time go by faster. I have a video iPod and like to watch music videos while I'm on the machines. Gives me inspiration.