Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time sticking to my diet

So I am need of some advice, I am almost 5 years post surgery. Over the last few months I have had a terrible time staying focused. I am not pigging out, and I don't eat out very often, even when we do my husband and I split a meal. I have had some added stress over the last few months and wonder if that might have something to do with it. The weird thing is that I don't have over my calories, I keep my Protein intake high, but seem to be craving carbs, and seem to feel hungry all the time. I seem to fluctuate 4 to 5 pounds a week. How can I get back on track and stay there. I feel like I can't talk to anyone in my family as all I hear is that I should be thankful for the weight I have lost, which I am, but they have no clue of the personal battle we all have inside when we decide to make such a life changing decision. Any advice would be awesome.

Try going back to basics. Eliminate carbs - they will trigger more cravings. post-287902-14671472028183_thumb.jpg

Good for you for asking!

Now you know where the goal line is.

You can do this. I put myself on a two-month diet prior to the surgeon's pre-op liver-shrinking diet and lost 10 pounds.

I averaged about 1,400 calories a day. I made a lot of other changes (in line with the post-op eating and drinking and exercise behaviors) that helped me a lot post-op.

Even if this weight loss requirement seems like a drag it really could wind up being a good thing for you.

I know everyone here is supporting you. Very best to you.

Post-op it'll get easier -- the sleeve is a GREAT tool for both weight loss and weight maintenance.

:)

@@aimeebatson1 At about 5 years out I hit that point too. I had even crept back up 20lbs. If you know what your stressors are, do what you can to eliminate them. The impact stress has on our bodies is amazing, surgery or not. Yoga, afternoon walks, waking up early and meditating. Whatever you must do to find peace with yourself. Next, as suggested, go back to basics. Protein and veggies. I can't stress it enough. That along with weigh lifting (my stress reliever), I lost 20lbs plus 5 more. I'm working towards and additional 15 - 20 for now. As I always say, the quick weightloss days are behind us, however, with some hard work and consistency it does get easier.

BTW, my inner fat girl name is 'Shelly' and she is a beast. She rears her head on stressful days, such as this, and tell me how much I want to indulge in all of the sweet treats I have for my kids. But I fight her one day at a time. And it feels good when I go to bed at night and realize the new me has conquered the old by not giving in.

You can do this. Just take it one day, one meal, one step at a time.

xoxo

When I was more active, I didn't eat as much...because I was out of my house all day. Now I'm home for most of the day and I think that's one of my problems. I need to be more active and that has to change.

Stick to the basics. Proteins and veggies. Lots of veggies. If you struggle with getting veggies in, you can brown some meat (chicken, lean turkey, buffalo), saute peppers (green bell, yellow bell, red bell) and red onions, combine and add some low sodium taco seasoning. You can eat on that through out the day.

Pick one to two days a week (not back to back) where you can get a few more carbs in (old fashioned oats, sweet potatoes (skip the butter and sugar), brown rice) then do the Protein and veggies on days in between. You'll be surprised at how much weight you'll drop just by following this along with upping your Water. There are no shortcuts to healthy living and keeping the weight off.

There are videos on YouTube that you can workout to in your own home.

Surgery is a tool not the solution. So start establishing healthy habits now!! Much success to you.

She's totally right. Great ideas.

@@aimeebatson1 At about 5 years out I hit that point too. I had even crept back up 20lbs. If you know what your stressors are, do what you can to eliminate them. The impact stress has on our bodies is amazing, surgery or not. Yoga, afternoon walks, waking up early and meditating. Whatever you must do to find peace with yourself. Next, as suggested, go back to basics. Protein and veggies. I can't stress it enough. That along with weigh lifting (my stress reliever), I lost 20lbs plus 5 more. I'm working towards and additional 15 - 20 for now. As I always say, the quick weightloss days are behind us, however, with some hard work and consistency it does get easier.

BTW, my inner fat girl name is 'Shelly' and she is a beast. She rears her head on stressful days, such as this, and tell me how much I want to indulge in all of the sweet treats I have for my kids. But I fight her one day at a time. And it feels good when I go to bed at night and realize the new me has conquered the old by not giving in.

You can do this. Just take it one day, one meal, one step at a time.

xoxo

@@bariatricbutterfly -- you are rockin'.

Where the hell have YOU been? :)

Welcome.

What work best for me was constantly keeping the reason I was having Bariatric surgery right up front. It motivated the heck out of me.

I spent my pre op time very focused on learning new habits.

- stopped drinking any calories and changed to bottled Water only

- no carbonated beverages what so ever

- I used to watch tv while I ate. I started eating at the kitchen table and removing all distractions

- I am the cook so I focused on removing starches from the menu for myself. Good Protein, veggies and fruit

- I began using a smaller plate to serve my food on

- I timed my eating to not go longer than 30 minutes and to last around 20 minutes.

- I practiced chewing food like crazy (I found this to be the hardest and still do)

- I began walking every day increasing the length of time and the distance I was walking

My nutritionist was more focused on this than on actual weight loss. I lost weight but it literally was around 10lbs and I was on a 6 month required diet. My weight fluctuated constantly.

The insurance company and surgeons want to ensure that you take this step very seriously, it is why they have these monitored programs before they will approve you for surgery.

If you want this bad enough, you will do it. I promise it is worth all of the effort and everything you learn now, will help with long term success post surgery. Sometimes I cannot believe how different I approach food.

I eat to live, I do not live to eat any longer.

You have received tons of great advice here so I won't repeat it. BUT I want to say this - I would argue that NUT's rarely know what the actual insurance requirements are for being approved for the surgery. There are some on here that were told one thing by the NUT and then found out otherwise when it was time to apply. I would call your insurance and get in writing what the requirements are as well as contacting the insurance coordinator for the surgeon's office and have them put in writing to you what your insurance requires to be approved. (I got this at my first consultation.) Having said that, some SURGEONS require patients to lose weight before they themselves approve them for surgery regardless of the insurance requirements. I would ask this of your surgeons office as well.

NOT to say that 5% weight loss isn't a great goal. I think that is great to strive for along with changing habits, but just want to save you a little pain in the long run by getting all the requirements in writing from all involved parties.

You guys are awesome!! Love all the advice!!

So I am need of some advice, I am almost 5 years post surgery. Over the last few months I have had a terrible time staying focused. I am not pigging out, and I don't eat out very often, even when we do my husband and I split a meal. I have had some added stress over the last few months and wonder if that might have something to do with it. The weird thing is that I don't have over my calories, I keep my Protein intake high, but seem to be craving carbs, and seem to feel hungry all the time. I seem to fluctuate 4 to 5 pounds a week. How can I get back on track and stay there. I feel like I can't talk to anyone in my family as all I hear is that I should be thankful for the weight I have lost, which I am, but they have no clue of the personal battle we all have inside when we decide to make such a life changing decision. Any advice would be awesome.

I think finding healthy ways to relieve stress can be very helpful. Our last support group meeting was all about ways to relieve stress in 5 minutes or less.

Exercise, meditation, focused breathing, creativity (try coloring), practicing a hobby, talking to another person, journaling, etc. can all be ways to help relieve stress without turning to food.

Great advice! I will be asking my insurance coordinator the exact requirements for approval. It will be so different when I get the sleeve because I won't be able to eat like like I currently am...but I won't miss being obese, feeling embarrassed because I can't fit into normal sized chairs and normal sized clothing. Soda and large portions are also stressors as is not slowing down when I'm eating (that's something I need to work on ASAP). The last time I wore a size 14 was my senior year of high school (2001).

You got this! Working on those habits now really help! But I promise you surgery helps with the smaller portions and slowing down! (I had bypass not sleeve but have seen same from many sleevers.). Keep posting and let us know how we can help!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I am trying to stay positive and keep working after all WLS is only a tool to help you achieve your goal. I have found that this is the best website/support system for WLS.

You can definitely find ways to satisfy some of your craves that can fit within your diet. I've been on liquids for a few weeks, I"m about 6 days post op on sleeve. For me, Crystal Light fruit punch has been a godsend. It's just sweet enough to satisfy my craving for something sweet and different than Water.