Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another hair loss question, with a twist!

So, I broke my ankle in November and had surgery December 5. I didn't really pay attention at the time, or maybe I just didn't connect the dots, but I had hair loss after that surgery. It has really thinned out.

I had my sleeve done May 23. I'm wondering if I will lose hair again?

I know no one will know for sure, but was curious if anyone else has had 2 surgeries within a 6 month time period and if the Hair loss came back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just take ALL your Vitamins ALL the time. Be sure to take your Iron at least 2-3 hours apart from any other food especially anything that contains Calcium. And take 10,000mcg=1000mg of Biotin every day and your hair should grow back within about three months. Since you are only four weeks out, if you are not able to take pills yet. BOD Smith prenatal liquid vitamins which you can find on Amazon are a good bet. They don't taste the best, but if you mix a serving into some Vitamin Water zero (rise orange is my favorite) then you should be able to get them down pretty easy. Just take 2 hours after you have anything else and wait 2 more hours after you drink it before any Protein Shakes most of which have tons of calcium. Good luck!

I had plastic surgery sort of back to back. I had my first procedure in September 2014, the next one in November 2014, and the last one in March 2015. I didn't notice a difference in my hair. My hair thinned after sleeve surgery and did it again randomly last summer and again randomly about a month ago, but I can't really attribute it to surgery because so many people have surgery and don't have Hair loss. After sleeve it's more that you body is so shocked by first, the fact that you cut out its stomach, and second the fact that you feed it next to nothing for weeks. Minimization of hair loss can usually be helped by making sure you get your Vitamins, Protein, and general nutrients. I also recently read that Potassium can help prevent hair loss.

I had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer last July, which delayed my sleeve surgery. I did lose a fair amount of hair after that - it was a long surgery and a stressful time for me.

My sleeve was in Dec, so 5 months later, and I am losing hair again. It's thinning, but no one but me and my hairdresser can tell. The amount is quite alarming at times, though.

My hair is coming back from the first surgery already, so I have every faith that it will all return in time.

Silver lining? My hair is much faster to dry now!

My mom is a beautician, and says that anytime you undergo anesthesia you're likely to have at least some hair loss. She had me start taking Biotin well before surgery (happens in early July), but it was causing me to break out badly; so I switched to bamboo tea which is rich in silica, and that seems to be working well. Hopefully it'll help keep any Hair loss to a minimum. We'll see.

My surgeon told me that as long as I get the Protein in, the hair thinning won't happen. I am set for early December.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't count on that. But don't let a little bit of Hair loss stop you from having life-bettering surgery.

My surgeon told me that as long as I get the Protein in, the hair thinning won't happen. I am set for early December.

I wouldn't count on that. But don't let a little bit of Hair loss stop you from having life-bettering surgery.
Nope! Not at all. I will start Biotin ahead of time to make sure. VERY vain about my hair!

Yeah, I've heard nothing will stop it. It has to do with the trauma we go through during surgery. Our body puts the hair growth on hold to sustain our other vital organs. Look up Telogen Effluvium. But not all WLS patients have Hair loss. I hope I'm not one of them!!

Yeah, I've heard nothing will stop it. It has to do with the trauma we go through during surgery. Our body puts the hair growth on hold to sustain our other vital organs. Look up Telogen Effluvium. But not all WLS patients have Hair loss. I hope I'm not one of them!!

I have had SEVERAL surgeries and never experienced this though.

I've had other surgeries, too, but the hysterectomy and WLS both brought Hair loss. I think the rapid weight loss is a contributing factor, too. Try not to stress too much. It'll come back in time.

Yeah, I agree with the comment above. Rapid weight loss plus the drastic decrease in nutrition all factor into the hair loss equation. And trust me, I'm just as freaked out. I have super fine hair, and I'm worried out about losing large amounts. Hair loss usually happens about 3-4 months after WLS surgery, and depending on how bad it is, I may invest in a wig.

Edited by debd80

I had my gallbladder out about a year before surgery. Lost hair. WLS lost hair. A year post op had two wrist surgeries and then another six months after that plastics. Strangely for whatever reason did not lose hair after those two so, who knows!

Yeah, I agree with the comment above. Rapid weight loss plus the drastic decrease in nutrition all factor into the hair loss equation. And trust me, I'm just as freaked out. I have super fine hair, and I'm worried out about losing large amounts. Hair loss usually happens about 3-4 months after WLS surgery, and depending on how bad it is, I may invest in a wig.

Someone said to start taking Biotin but do we have a liquid or chewable option in it?