Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel your docs prepared you for the post-op experience?

• ccflotron34, good luck with your surgery! I had mine on Tuesday, 6/21 and am doing very well. Just a little sore but able to get my Water, Protein and walking in. I think I was pretty well prepared, but one thing i noticed is they don't tell you everything up front -- maybe trying not to overwhelm you with a lot of information. The hardest day for me was finding out I had to do the pre-op diet only one day before I needed to start it. I would have liked more time to mentally prepare for that. If you are anything like me, right now and just before you get wheeled into the operating room are the two most nerve wracking times. Oh, and maybe waiting to get discharged from the hospital -- I was so ready to go home. But now I'm very happy I did it, even with almost a month of mushy food ahead of me and a sore tummy.
Thank you :) I'm glad to hear yours is going well so far! I've been on the pre op clear liquid diet since Monday but today and tomorrow I can't have any Protein. So I'm really struggling today. One minute I'm questioning this entire decision then the next I'm excited. Then one minute I want to snap at anyone who looks in my direction or I can't stop crying. Plus I want some food! I'm so scared I'll never be able to enjoy food again it's got me all freaked out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by ccflotron34

I dearly love my surgeon. He explained everything, the booklet explained it, but the actual AFTER surgery was an experience I do not ever want to repeat! I had to have a hernia repaired (The prior swallow test showed a small-medium hernia); after he got in, it was larger -so he had to repair it first. This caused me to be under anesthesia longer, which contributed to my distress afterwards. After I was wheeled to post-op, I woke up retching, and of course, there is nothing to throw up...This caused pain thru my abdomen, pulling on my incisions. I was then taken to my room and put in a bed, still retching... My surgeon came in, bless his heart, and I let him have it--- I told him I was not happy, he apologized & left. He knew it was the anesthesia after-effects, cuz he came back later after I had a Zofran shot/apin meds, & I felt more civil. The worse part was going to the bathroom for the first time. You have to be unhooked from the inflated boots, monitors, etc.. so you walk 5 ft to toilet. After eating ice chips, it went straight to my bladder. I was going every hour and a half, so I got to be a pro... The next day I practically 'dashed' down the hall when I was told I had to walk. I hated every second of it, but knowing I was going home gave me strength to do it....that was June 8th. I got home & my feelings changed. I think that that little feeling of 'regret' I had after waking up disappeared after I got home. I went back to work part-time a week later. I should have gone in for 2 hours or less, & I regretted it. One of my nursing staff had to help me to my car as my strength gave out quickly. That is the only complaint I have now--even with 58-68 grams of Protein and 64+ ounces of water/liquids--I have NO energy.. I will address this with him on 7/22/16. Maybe I had a 'mediocre' experience--I have read some real horror stories on this site, so I was some-what prepared & went in with my eyes wide open...

First of all everyone's body is different and everyone will react differently. If you want a "real" education these boards provide a good one. You may also want to check out "Clusie" and "K-Star" on you tube. Long story short though you should follow your doctors orders. Most of what they tell you is for good reason. If they took the time to explain "everything" you would potentially need 4 years of Med school and residency. Just educate yourself on how to deal with side effects, follow doctors orders and you'll be fine.

• ccflotron34 2 days with no Protein does sound awfully hard -- but you're almost there now! After surgery I find I kind of don't care about food. My family keeps apologizing for eating normal food in front of me, but it doesn't bother me. I do miss coffee when I smell it, but that's about it. And eventually we will be able to enjoy food again!

I was not prepared but talking to a friend who had a gastric bypass helped a great deal - I only found this site post surgery - I wish I knew about this site pre-op - so keep reading

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App