Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope I'm doing the right thing :)

@@Marc F - I was a "healthy fat guy" at 52. But I started seeing those little warning signs that something was going to happen and a MD friend of mine told me, you got to get that weight off. That is what began my journey. I can tell you life is much better smaller. This tool gives more people a great second chance, and works waaaaay better than behavioral change.

But if you need additional motivation, may I suggest reading:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/195065-you-know-you-lost-weight-when/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219760-sex-oh-my-god-sex/

Now that's encouragement!!!!! Thanks!

@@Marc F your post really resonates with me.

I'm a guy just about your age and was just about your weight (Just turned 58, was 250# at 5'8"). food was very much my best friend and my worst enemy. I consider myself a "foodie" and was totally addicted to sugar. I've struggled with my weight for decades and lost the same 50 pounds several times only to gain it back more quickly every single time. I've had severe sleep apnea and been on CPAP for about 13 years but was basically fairly healthy although my usually good BP became totally out of control about a year ago and I was still trying to get it under control with medication. (Oh, and I was having knee pain too.) My doctor told me I was bordering on diabetic and I just felt as if I was going over a metabolic cliff.

I had a VSG on April 28, 2016 -- so I'm two months post-op. First, my personal experience was the the surgery was pretty much a breeze. Your results may vary of course. I felt like someone used my stomach as a punching bag for a few days but I was off all pain meds in a few days and within a week I was feeling remarkably good.

Here's the kicker -- as of today I've lost 40 pounds. Now, that's just a number. Let me tell you how my daily life has changed:

(1) I no longer have the food cravings I had before -- my relationship with food has totally changed and I don't find that I miss my former "frenemy" at all. I'm trying to be pretty good but even at this point I seem to be able to eat whatever I want, and I'm perfectly satisfied after just a small serving. At this point I can eat about 3 oz. of food at a sitting without being uncomfortable. While I'm eating low-carb to enhance my weight loss I can still eat well. Last night I had my favorite Boeuf Bourgignon from a local restaurant (I skipped the mashed potatoes). Three little ounces of heaven and I was more satisfied than I would have been with a huge serving before. I also get take-out from a local Japanese place (wonderful grilled fish). I do cheat on occasion -- I was on a business trip last week in Arizona where it was 115 and I splurged with some really good ice cream -- half a scoop was all I wanted. (Sometimes I get Halo Top ice cream too -- it's high Protein and the half serving I eat is about 35 calories so why not?) I haven't had the slightest desire to stop in the donut shop I pass on the way to work every day -- that used to be my worst addiction and I'm just not interested anymore. I thought I'd really miss all my favorite foods and I just don't. In time I'll be able to eat more but I'm perfectly fine now.

(2) My BP is textbook now -- I made the mistake of staying on my meds until it dropped pretty low at two weeks post-op (probably the worst complication I had!).

(3) I just feel better in almost every way. I can easily bend down to pick something up (which was becoming difficult) and I don't avoid the stairs anymore.

(4) I do have some work to do today -- I have to get out some of the smaller clothes I had packed up because I couldn't fit into them. I had reached the point that I could barely fit into a size 18 dress shirt. Now -- eight weeks after surgery I find that the size 16.5 in my closet is just right. Similar with the suits. One of my "tipping points" was finding I didn't have a suit I could get into -- and there wasn't one in the store that would fit me either (I didn't go to the "big & tall" store but that would have been my only hope). Now my larger suits are a little big on me -- and I'm just about into the next size down.

(5) I do a lot of public speaking for my job. I was getting really embarrassed to be in front of a group because I was so heavy. It was really messing with my self confidence. I spoke to a group this week where I had been a year ago -- and darned if someone didn't come up to me and say "you've really lost weight -- you're looking great!". (I've got a long way to go but I was really surprised by that spontaneous compliment.)

So in short -- I don't have a single regret. Not one. It's been fairly easy for me, although I did have a pretty long stall after the first month but I seem to be past that now. It's just part of the process.

I hope you'll have the same experience, and that by sharing the above you'll feel better about this decision. Feel free to send me a private message if you've got more specific questions you'd rather not ask on a public forum. I will say I got a lot of information from reading these posts and it helped me a lot.

Hello all,
My name is Marc. I live in South Florida. I'm in the process of getting all of my approvals, and hope to have gastric sleeve surgery mid August.
I am both VERY NERVOUS and very excited to start a new chapter.
I am 55 years old. Current weight (same as my high weight..) 271 Lbs. My goal weight is 185 Lbs. I have heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea. I had a SIX graft heart bypass at 41. I feel good, all things considered, other than painful knees, feet, and medication controlled depression--all weight related, I'm sure.
My wife of 31 years is supportive of my decision after doing a lot of research on the subject. My adult children and my brother don't like the idea of me getting "85% of your stomach cut out", even after reading up on the issue.
My "pros" list is many, many times longer than my "cons" list, yet I am still a nervous wreck about undertaking such a permanent step. food is my best friend and also my enemy.
Decisions, decisions!!!

Marc,

I think you are doing the right thing! I'm 54 and did this to prolong life and feel better about myself. I too am a foodie! I have loved food and trying new variations as long as I can remember! My new approach to eating is not going to be entertainment, pleasure, comfort, but survival. I think the limitations of the size of my new stomach will still allow me to be adventurous with food so I'm looking forward to trying healthy foods just LESS of them! Stay positive and God bless!

Hello all,

My name is Marc. I live in South Florida. I'm in the process of getting all of my approvals, and hope to have gastric sleeve surgery mid August.

I am both VERY NERVOUS and very excited to start a new chapter.

I am 55 years old. Current weight (same as my high weight..) 271 Lbs. My goal weight is 185 Lbs. I have heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea. I had a SIX graft heart bypass at 41. I feel good, all things considered, other than painful knees, feet, and medication controlled depression--all weight related, I'm sure.

My wife of 31 years is supportive of my decision after doing a lot of research on the subject. My adult children and my brother don't like the idea of me getting "85% of your stomach cut out", even after reading up on the issue.

My "pros" list is many, many times longer than my "cons" list, yet I am still a nervous wreck about undertaking such a permanent step. food is my best friend and also my enemy.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi Marc,

My name is kim and I live in south florida, I also have heart disease, had a heart attack one year ago in june. I am getting sleeved June 28th. I spoke with my primary, my cardiologist and anthesilogist all of them say this surgery is only gonna help our hearts and let us live a longer and healthier live. I too am scared as hell, nervous and excited all in one. But I also know this damn weight is gonna kill me. It was nice to hear a story like mine. If you want we can be heart sleeve buddies. Kim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

What's up with the south FL with heart problems? Looks like we all twins...

I am also from south FL and also have a heart disease and was lucky that it discovered in the last minute...

During routine checkup I was asked to have a 3D imaging of my heart and rushed to the hospital as my RCA was blocked 99%. 3 years, 2 stents, 4 different diets and I am still the fat a$$ I have been all my life. Only now I am feeling worse with each day that pass.

Whether it is my knees, my back, depression, luck of energy and the daily parade of medicine I need to take every morning and evening to control my BP, blood thinners, anxiety medicine and more.

I am 49 6.0 feet tall with BMI of 36-37 (268).

I am sick and tired to live this way. Tried everything and failed!!!

My insurance (and my employer) do not provide/support to any bariatric procedures coverage (it is considered cosmetics...) and no appeal helped.

I decided that once in my life I want to be normal weight and by April when I turn 50, I want my BMI to be in the mid 20's. I know the aim is high and yet I believe it is doable.

I am going as self-pay on Aug. 25th with Dr. Wizman in Margate. I am existed and my only fear is what if I will be one of these "special patients" that never made it and never lost all that weight and kept it off.

Where are you guys from and who are you doing the procedure with?

We need to possibly meet and talk and establish possibly a support group for us as I found nothing active in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I thank and bless you all for your stories and words of encouragement! It is so helpful to hear your "real life" experiences from real people.

I'm in Hollywood, Fl and Dr. Jeremy Eckstein is doing my surgery. He and his partners work out of Memorial Hospital here in Hollywood. The hospital holds support groups twice month on Tuesday evenings. I've only attended 1, but really need to go more often, again to hear and see real life results and issues.

Marc, I think you're gonna kick a**.

Welcome. :)

@@Marc F

Having 85% of your stomach cut away sounds drastic and if feels drastic at first but once you heal, that really isn't the case. I am 11.5 months post-op almost, and I feel mostly like a normal person. I just eat proper portions, the recommended portions, like 3-4 ounces of meat (which is what everyone is supposed to be eating) and I feel good about it. I didn't have all of your medical issues but the issues I did have were resolved quickly and I feel so much better.

Do not let the drastic sound fool you, keep pushing forward.