Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope I'm doing the right thing :)

Hello all,
My name is Marc. I live in South Florida. I'm in the process of getting all of my approvals, and hope to have gastric sleeve surgery mid August.
I am both VERY NERVOUS and very excited to start a new chapter.
I am 55 years old. Current weight (same as my high weight..) 271 Lbs. My goal weight is 185 Lbs. I have heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea. I had a SIX graft heart bypass at 41. I feel good, all things considered, other than painful knees, feet, and medication controlled depression--all weight related, I'm sure.
My wife of 31 years is supportive of my decision after doing a lot of research on the subject. My adult children and my brother don't like the idea of me getting "85% of your stomach cut out", even after reading up on the issue.
My "pros" list is many, many times longer than my "cons" list, yet I am still a nervous wreck about undertaking such a permanent step. food is my best friend and also my enemy.
Decisions, decisions!!!

Hello all,

My name is Marc. I live in South Florida. I'm in the process of getting all of my approvals, and hope to have gastric sleeve surgery mid August.

I am 55 years old. Current weight (same as my high weight..) 271 Lbs. My goal weight is 185 Lbs. I have heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea. I had a SIX graft heart bypass at 41. I feel good, all things considered, other than painful knees, feet, and medication controlled depression--all weight related, I'm sure.

My wife of 31 years is supportive of my decision after doing a lot of research on the subject. My adult children and my brother don't like the idea of me getting "85% of your stomach cut out", even after reading up on the issue.

My "pros" list is many, many times longer than my "cons" list, yet I am still a nervous wreck about undertaking such a permanent step. food is my best friend and also my enemy.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi Marc,

My name is kim and I live in south florida, I also have heart disease, had a heart attack one year ago in june. I am getting sleeved June 28th. I spoke with my primary, my cardiologist and anthesilogist all of them say this surgery is only gonna help our hearts and let us live a longer and healthier live. I too am scared as hell, nervous and excited all in one. But I also know this damn weight is gonna kill me. It was nice to hear a story like mine. If you want we can be heart sleeve buddies. Kim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Hello all,

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi Marc,

My name is kim and I live in south florida, I also have heart disease, had a heart attack one year ago in june. I am getting sleeved June 28th. I spoke with my primary, my cardiologist and anthesilogist all of them say this surgery is only gonna help our hearts and let us live a longer and healthier live. I too am scared as hell, nervous and excited all in one. But I also know this damn weight is gonna kill me. It was nice to hear a story like mine. If you want we can be heart sleeve buddies. Kim

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!! Definitely!

Just keep thinking of the Pros!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Good point!!!

It sure is a big step isn't it? Thinking of the problems that could arise, knowing your best friend won't be there anymore, and realizing that the part of your stomach they remove is never coming back. Pretty scary really.

But then there's this - one day you will have gotten past the pre op nervousness, your health will improve a lot, and when you see your reflection you will wonder if that is really you. It'll be hard to grasp that the person you see looking back at you was in there the whole time just waiting for you to let him out.

It is a major deal you have going on. But it'll be ok. You're gonna do great and your kids will look forward to having you around for many more years. And your best friend? You will certainly miss it and at times wish you could go back to the way it was before. Fact is that what you've considered your friend was never very good for you anyway. When you let go of the friendships that have been no good for you, you will find that you never needed it anyway.

Yes it seems like a far-fetched concept but it's true. Let it go. When you start noticing the stranger staring back at you in the mirror you won't miss it that much after all.

Hello all,

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hello!

I am still pre op as well and I know exactly how you feel. I just keep thinking.."no risk, no reward". You should feel proud of yourself for even making the steps toward surgery while there are some who let the fear envelop them.

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

Hello, I am also in south Florida. Although I did not have the heart issues you do, I was 37 years old and 348lbs. I couldn't even wash dishes without being in excruciating pain. Hell, it was even getting hard to wipe my own ass! I've lost 138lbs and can't really believe I let myself go that far. I now love myself again! I love myself for being brave enough to want to live!! And what do u know? I'm actually finding myself kinda cute now too. WLS has done so many things for me. I ride bike with my kids, dance salsa & merengue with my son (trying to teach him) for many,many songs. I can even wear heels! That's pretty awesome if you ask me! Blood pressure is back to normal as well as cholesterol and triglycerides! Yep, I think I made the right decision. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello, I am also in south Florida. Although I did not have the heart issues you do, I was 37 years old and 348lbs. I couldn't even wash dishes without being in excruciating pain. Hell, it was even getting hard to wipe my own ass! I've lost 138lbs and can't really believe I let myself go that far. I now love myself again! I love myself for being brave enough to want to live!! And what do u know? I'm actually finding myself kinda cute now too. WLS has done so many things for me. I ride bike with my kids, dance salsa & merengue with my son (trying to teach him) for many,many songs. I can even wear heels! That's pretty awesome if you ask me! Blood pressure is back to normal as well as cholesterol and triglycerides! Yep, I think I made the right decision. Good luck!!

Hey there, thanks for sharing your story. Where in south florida? I'm in delray beach

@@saphfyre14 I'm in Miami

Marc i lost 137.7 pounds in a year, i am off Insulin, two Bp meds. cholesterol med and a sleep apnea machine, i qas 258 pounds now i am. One pound from my goal of 120 i am age 58 i also take Armour Thyroid for Hypothyroidism, my husband is very supportive of me . He was big or nuw small, i am 5"2, best darn decision inever made. May 21,16 was my firt year Surgerversary, i refuse to ruin my sleeve, its a mind reset. It can work for life!!! you can never go back to eating crap foods ur the old ways, but so worth it! for your life and Health!!!! good Luck!! god bless you!!! zero Regrets !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using the BariatricPal App

Excuse my misspells

This surgery has changed so many of our lives and it gave me my life back. Your pre op jitters are 100% normal. Soon we will welcome you to the losers bench!

Marc i lost 137.7 pounds in a year, i am off Insulin, two Bp meds. cholesterol med and a sleep apnea machine, i qas 258 pounds now i am. One pound from my goal of 120 i am age 58 i also take Armour Thyroid for Hypothyroidism, my husband is very supportive of me . He was big or nuw small, i am 5"2, best darn decision inever made. May 21,16 was my firt year Surgerversary, i refuse to ruin my sleeve, its a mind reset. It can work for life!!! you can never go back to eating crap foods ur the old ways, but so worth it! for your life and Health!!!! good Luck!! god bless you!!! zero Regrets !

THANK YOU for the encouraging words. I take 10 different BP, cholesterol, sugar, Etc meds. I can;t wait to cut those down or out completely. Best of luck.

@@Marc F - I was a "healthy fat guy" at 52. But I started seeing those little warning signs that something was going to happen and a MD friend of mine told me, you got to get that weight off. That is what began my journey. I can tell you life is much better smaller. This tool gives more people a great second chance, and works waaaaay better than behavioral change.

But if you need additional motivation, may I suggest reading:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/195065-you-know-you-lost-weight-when/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219760-sex-oh-my-god-sex/

I hope you can get off the meds, its so awesome to get off meds too.Best of Luck Jo Ann