Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IV fluid weight gain and 3 week stall

Ok, question for all you preops and maybe newly sleeved folks....Have ANY of your surgeons or nuts explained to you that you will gain a bunch of weight while you are in the hospital for your surgery? In general, this is from the IV fluids they give you and from all the inflammation and swelling caused by the surgery itself.

And have any of you been told that you will likely have a stall at about 3 weeks postop? Did they explain stalls to you at all?

The reason I ask is because over half the posts from newbies are about these two subjects. (Those and the ones asking if it's OK that they just ate a cookie or a slice of pizza 2 weeks postop cause their mean family doesn't support them by keeping these things out of the house) Everyone that spends more than an hour on any WLS forum knows about these things. I just don't understand why surgeons aren't preparing their patients for the normal post surgical things that tend to send so many into such a panic.

Just curious if anyone is actually being given any helpful instructions prior to WLS, or are you just left to fend for yourself on the Internet?

I am 4 months out today and no. I was not told any of that. crazy huh?

Just wow....

I can't remember but I already knew about them pre-surgery from doing my research.

The IV thing is just common sense though, I don't get why that baffles so many people.

The 3 week stall is like the most infamous thing about WLS surgery.

My nurse was 6 months post-op with the sleeve and most of my questions were more long term and all of them were answered. I was well prepared by my staff, but that is also why I picked them. I wanted a smooth streamline process.

Making a thread like this asking people is pointless because most people won't read it, just like people don't use search and just as the same question that has been asked hundreds of times. I get that searching on the app might not be that intuitive, but Google is easy you can type in any random question and get an answer.

Lately is seems that we have had an influx of people that went to XXX doctor that is only in it for the money and people have no education or very little education. Especially this new crop of people that had surgery in Mexico.

I don't know how people last on here for years, at 11 months, I am about all burned out on answering questions. I want to answer questions and help people because I feel it is important to give back, but it is getting ridiculous.

I know about them because of the forum, but I am scheduled for surgery in August and nope, nothing about them from the surgical team yet!

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

The weight gain from IV and swelling, Water retention are pretty obvious things with any procedure. The 3 week stall, while unexplained I think it's the bodies why of responding like WTF just happened?

I don't remember where I heard about them first.

I do remember my NUT talking about not expecting to leave the hospital skinny. Not long after, I told a friend (who happens to be a nurse), that I was having surgery and the first thing she said was that I was going to be so skinny when I came home from the hospital. I had to tell her, "Actually, not."

Just got my surgery date, and the simple answer is NO.

My surgeon didn't tell me about iv fluids, just learned this a few minutes ago on a different thread. Good thing because if I left the hospital and weighed more without knowing, I probably would have cried.

I've read about the 3 week stall on here as well, had no idea about that.

I did although know about the carbs, my nutritionist was very thorough! I actually lost 11lbs and haven't even done my 2 week pre op diet yet. My NUT is also the one who told me to come on this site.

I think my surgeon is very busy (no, that's not an excuse) but he might not remember who he tells what to. I have no doubt in my drs ability, he's been mazing from day 1 and very supportive and understanding.

I see how vets on this site can be very frustrated tho. I've been on here a few weeks and see some posts and think to myself (really.....??). The first few days were hard to navigate and I'm still lost if I use the website instead of my ap, but I try to chime in where I can and read more.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Nope. I was not told or prepared for any of that. I learned it might happen or was coming here on the forum.

I did know about those things before my surgery but it was because of my own research not because my doctor or NUT told me.........It is something that needs to be clearly explained as part of the process.

that is not true all the time about the weight gain, I had surgery on june 6th and at my one week appointment I had lost 15 lbs

I am just barley moving the scale down now though

No. These things weren't mentioned but maybe its because they don't always happen and are unimportant in the scope of things. I did not gain weight in the hospital. What they put in I peed back out. But I was well hydrated going in. Maybe that makes a difference, don't know. Also I'm not at 3 weeks yet, but I would not be surprised by a stall when you are progressively increasing the types and quantity of food you are eating in the first few weeks. liquids don't hang around that lomg as far as digestion is concerned. The more solid it is, the longer it will take to process. So at some point in the first few eeeks you will progress from having a little liquid in your bladder to having as many as 3 solid food meals somewhere in your system. Hence more weight. dieted so many times in my life, I doubt anything other than consistant weight loss would surprise me.

My surgeron referenced it...but again it depends on the person. I was very dehydrated day of surgery so even before I could be wheeled back they were pumping fluids in me just to get my IV in.

My twin is at 4 weeks and hasn't hit a stall yet.

I am however very thankful for my NUT and this forum as a newbie I've been able to learn so much and assess what may or may not work for me. I even had a good grasp on how to deal with potential issues....I appreciate you.

This journey is individual to all of us so knowledge is power (minus the tad foolish questions)

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

7 months out but I WAS NOT told. I remembered how brutal IV weight gain was from my C-sections. You should lose about 10 lbs or more of baby and amniotic Fluid but you gain 15 (25 net from IV fluids). Prior experience was my only clue....and I wasn't told before my csections either!