Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanna work out...

I am going back to my fitness studio this week. I'm feeling overwhelmed because I don't want to hurt myself. I always want to put in 110% work, but I've hurt myself in the past (insert 2 broken feet....twice). I'm planning on a strength class, which has some core work. I'm a month and a half out, doc say no restrictions on weight, so I'm wondering how others have transitioned into fitness.....in a safe way....I have no more body parts I wish to damage!

Sent from my KFASWI using the BariatricPal App

I started back to the gym at about the same time as you and I had the same concerns because of past injuries. Let me reassure you that you wil most likely be able to do enough of a workout to cause yourself harm in the beginning. You are going to be weak. You are going to fatigue quickly and you are going to take longer to recover than you remember. It's all because of the calorie deficit you will be going through.

I will recommend Protein milk or whole milk. The fat will help with the necessary calories to burn; Calcium and Vitamin D to help increase bone density and thereby bone strength which is vital for weight lifting; and of course the Protein for muscle development. Another thing I would recommend is getting your workout advice from a physical therapist and not a trainer. Trainers are all about shortcuts (IMO) and therapist are about reducing injuries. On the flipside of that, many therapist are overly cautious, so perhaps go with a sports therapist.

Good luck with your workouts!

I started back to the gym at about the same time as you and I had the same concerns because of past injuries. Let me reassure you that you wil most likely be able to do enough of a workout to cause yourself harm in the beginning. You are going to be weak. You are going to fatigue quickly and you are going to take longer to recover than you remember. It's all because of the calorie deficit you will be going through.

I will recommend Protein milk or whole milk. The fat will help with the necessary calories to burn; Calcium and Vitamin D to help increase bone density and thereby bone strength which is vital for weight lifting; and of course the Protein for muscle development. Another thing I would recommend is getting your workout advice from a physical therapist and not a trainer. Trainers are all about shortcuts (IMO) and therapist are about reducing injuries. On the flipside of that, many therapist are overly cautious, so perhaps go with a sports therapist.

Good luck with your workouts!

Thanks! I know it isn't going to be easy. I'm planning on playing softball tonight and going to fitness class on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.Thanks for the good luck wishes!

I tend to get a lot of Fluid around my knees so constant pressure on them isn't a good thing. I've found hot yoga to be my best option at this time. All you do is sweat and stretch along with building balance and strength through mind and body.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I eased into fitness. Stared by walking the day after surgery. Then to the corner and back first day home from hospital, then around the block about a week out and so on. You are bound to injure yourself if you try to jump right back in at the same intensity as before-- you just had MAJOR surgery. Be kind to yourself (and your abs).

I started with Water aerobics, water Zumba, and just walking laps in the pool dragging my arms(this is harder than it sounds!). Don't be fooled, you are not just splashing around in the pool. It's hard work for a recent post op person. At the 6 month post op point the surgeon said "Out of the pool". Transitioned to land aerobics, Zumba, weights, and walking laps-increasing my speed slowly to a LIGHT jog (ME, JOGGING!!!). I am now riding my bike again-something I haven't done in 20 years. Whatever you chose to do, start slower than you think you need to go and pay attention to how your body responds/feels. Most importantly, have fun with whatever you do! Good luck.

I started with Water aerobics, Water Zumba, and just walking laps in the pool dragging my arms(this is harder than it sounds!). Don't be fooled, you are not just splashing around in the pool. It's hard work for a recent post op person. At the 6 month post op point the surgeon said "Out of the pool". Transitioned to land aerobics, Zumba, weights, and walking laps-increasing my speed slowly to a LIGHT jog (ME, JOGGING!!!). I am now riding my bike again-something I haven't done in 20 years. Whatever you chose to do, start slower than you think you need to go and pay attention to how your body responds/feels. Most importantly, have fun with whatever you do! Good luck.

Thanks...part of what makes it tough is how much I miss my crew at the studio, then, of course I don't want to slow down. It's a mind thing for me I've been trying to get a hold of for awhile...not the only place in my life I have perfectionist tendencies.

I eased into fitness. Stared by walking the day after surgery. Then to the corner and back first day home from hospital, then around the block about a week out and so on. You are bound to injure yourself if you try to jump right back in at the same intensity as before-- you just had MAJOR surgery. Be kind to yourself (and your abs).

I'm feeling pain in my lower back, which makes me think my back is trying to compensate for my lack of core strength. This may provide me with a natural "slow down". Thanks for your advice!

So...I played a full game of softball last night. Pretty sore today and cannot walk the best, but went for a slow short walk tonight because it's too beautiful outside for me not to. We only get a few months of glorious summer, so I gotta get in the walks now before it's -20 degrees again! ????

I'm feeling pain in my lower back, which makes me think my back is trying to compensate for my lack of core strength. This may provide me with a natural "slow down". Thanks for your advice!

Yup. One day that very slow down became a halt when I went too far. Be careful. Slow and steady....consistent cardio and very, very careful lifting (high rep count, low weight, perfect form).

I jumped into lifting weights too fast and spinal stinosis kicked in immediately. It's very painful and has caused limitations on exercising.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel you on this. Not fun at all.

You guys rock! I will keep all of your comments in my head today while I'm attempting to do yoga. One of the personal trainers at the studio suggested I do one class a week, since I'm also going to be playing softball, until I can handle increasing anything.