Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tomorrow freaking out

Hi I'm new to this site but thought I would share. I have my surgery tomorrow in about 12 hours and I'm starting to freak out if i have made the right decision or not. I weigh about 315pounds I(I think I'm in Australia and use kilos)! And have physical problems so I can't exercise like I would like to do I know I need to do something and have tried pretty much everything else. So my question is did you freak out before hand and have 101 thought go through your heads worrying about after what will it be like? How bad is my saggy skin going to be? Will I need an operation to fix it??? I think in over thinking things but thanks for listening and letting me vent

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Chez2812

Hi I'm new to this site but thought I would share. I have my surgery tomorrow in about 12 hours and I'm starting to freak out if i have made the right decision or not. I weigh about 315pounds I(I think I'm in Australia and use kilos)! And have physical problems so I can't exercise like I would like to do I know I need to do something and have tried pretty much everything else. So my question is did you freak out before hand and have 101 thought go through your heads worrying about after what will it be like? How bad is my saggy skin going to be? Will I need an operation to fix it??? I think in over thinking things but thanks for listening and letting me vent

Hello, take a deep breath your having a lot of the same questions/worry as I did .....I'm 3 weeks post op......I'm so happy I did this.

What really helped me to clear things up and relax about if this was going to be the right decision for me was, I made a list of all the pros and cons of getting surgery and what life would be if I didn't get it. My pros list out weighed my cons list by a lot. After that I realized I was doing what was best for me.

(I also prayed for peace with my decision and God granted me that too)

I'm 52 years old, 5' 5" and my weight just kept creeping up and up....225 lbs....I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about 2 years ago and also have high cholesterol. I was worried about developing diabetes because it runs in my family. My back hurt when walking any distance and especially when I was trying to carry my grandbaby. For me, I wanted to be able to be healthy and an active grandma and wife.

Hopefully you'll get a lot of response back on this thread to ease your mind.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you u know I'm doing the right thing but as normal I am over thinking things. I have been reading through some of the posts and find comfort that others have done the same thing. I did the pros and cons list before I decided to go ahead with it and it made me realise I need to do this mainly for myself but also for my kids.

Thank you again

I'm 6 months post-op and I'm very happy I got my lap band surgery.

I was nervous beforehand, too (I think everyone is!). My biggest fear was that it wouldn't work or make me feel any different. It definitely works, and I definitely feel different! In a good way :)

You just have to be mentally prepared to make some big changes. Life won't be the same afterwards. Keep up with your follow-up appointments (very important with the lap band) and once you reach the right restriction it gets easier.

WLS is the only proven way to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off for good so you're making the right choice! Try to stay calm - the surgery will be over before you know it and you'll be on your way to a lighter weight.

@@Chez2812 Hi Chez!

I was banded 18 months ago and I am absolutely DELIGHTED with the decision I made. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 12 (I went from 259 lbs at my heaviest to 181 lbs - my current weight).

I also had physical problems that prevented me from exercising. I had weak, sore knees (the extra weight...), foot problems (fallen arches due again to WEIGHT) and two ruptured discs - obesity related. AWESOME. So as soon as I started to lose weight, my issues began to resolve. Next thing I knew, I was down 50 pounds and feeling 100% better. I got on the treadmill in our basement, and it's been steady losing and feeling terrific ever since.

Getting banded was the best decision I ever made. While my surgeon was in there he repaired a hiatus hernia, too. No more heartburn!

Its normal to be nervous. You will be terrific! As I write this you may actually be in the recovery room.... ANYWAY! The gas pain will likely hurt terribly, and you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking. After it's resolved, though? JOY!

Keep us posted!

It is a good thing as a temporary solution. You will find ways to "cheat" the system lol. I'm getting mine out tomorrow after 12 years and I CANNOT WAIT!

@melimel11Repectfully - you have not been successful with your band., Fair enough. 10 pounds lost in 12 years tells us a lot. How about NOT being negative to a new member who is on the brink of making a positive life change, and posting elsewhere (or nowhere) on the forum?

Edited by TheProfessor

I am having surgery tom orrow too. I am nervous,anxious but most of all excited!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery on June 9th 2016 and it has be a complete life change. Take it one moment at a time and learn to listen to your body and be a problem solver.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Super excited for you as you start your journey! I was banded 7/6/14 and have lost a total of 95 lbs....I had all those same fears a day 101 questions, but as I adjusted to a new way of eating and living they quickly go away. If you follow the "rules", change your old habits, and truly learn from the experience about your negative eating habits you will have great sucess. I stayed in close contact with my surgeon for the first year and now I go every couple of months when I'm feeling too tight or too lose. It will take you a little while to learn your band and how your body responds, but give it time and I hope you have as much success as I have had!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

All went really well was out of surgery last night but didn't get any chance to rest as the lady across from me was a very very loud snorer and whine she wasn't snoring she was either sooking or talking really load with the nurses I had about an hour sleep in the hospital so I have just woken up from a very much needed long nap in my own bed

Hey! I'm in Australia as well and just had my first consult, waiting a month for super approval and then will be about 6-8 weeks till the op, so I think I'll be looking at October ... Even at the consult in the waiting room knead like argh what am I doing?? Then while I was waiting for my different consults I saw all these people coming in for fills/unfills and check ups and they were all so happy and positive, and the staff knew everyone of them by name and I just relaxed... Then I met the surgeon and he was fantastic and I felt so at ease... Now I cannot wait!! I'll be following ur journey as I plan mine!!

Same my surgeon is so nice . I'm a bit sore but very happy now just excited for my journey to begin and good luck with yours