Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few questions.

I just have a few questions about the process of getting prepared for surgery. I haven't met my doctor yet, but my first appointment is on June 27th. I read some posts about people having to wait a year before their surgery, and that worries me. I am miserable the way I am, and I just don't want to wait that long.

I know when I get to the appointment, I will be having a 15-20 minute meeting about insurance and such. I have several medical issues relating to my weight, so I would hope that my insurance will be quick on making a decision to cover the costs. I use BCBS.

What are some things that might slow down the process of my insurance's decision?

What are some things that might cause the doctor to make me wait to have the surgery?

Can this be a fast process? I start college in the Fall. So I would like to have the surgery before then.

It depends on your insurance requirements. I would call BCBS and ask for those in writing. Some have a requirement of 6 months supervised weight loss program. Whatever time you have to wait - use it to your advantage and get your mind and behaviors in a place that will help your success post-op. I took this time to get therapy for emotional eating and mindless eating. Your surgeon may require a weight loss prior to surgery - that's usually for high BMIs. Many programs require additional testing or consults so that will take time. It is certainly possible you can schedule surgery this summer but don't be discouraged if you can't. Good luck!

Each insurance has a different policy. My plan with BCBS required me to have 6 months of medically supervised diet. During that time at each visit I needed to lose or stay the same weight.

There also may be requirements from your surgeon. My surgeon required medical imaging to make sure there is nothing wrong with my stomach, blood work, a psych evaluation with a psychologist they provided, attending a support group for Bariatric surgery, getting cardiac clearance and pulmonary clearance. Then I also went through a nutrition class when I had s surgery date set.

Your surgeon may not require all that but that's what I went through. Then after I finished all the requirements I could schedule the surgery but it is usually 2-4 weeks out so they can submit the information to insurance and see if they will approve it since this is a voluntary surgery.

That was just my experience though, others may have had something different!

Edited by Dashofpixiedust8

Each insurance has a different policy. My plan with BCBS required me to have 6 months of medically supervised diet. During that time at each visit I needed to lose or stay the same weight.

There also may be requirements from your surgeon. My surgeon required medical imaging to make sure there is nothing wrong with my stomach, blood work, a psych evaluation with a psychologist they provided, attending a support group for Bariatric surgery, getting cardiac clearance and pulmonary clearance. Then I also went through a nutrition class when I had s surgery date set.

Your surgeon may not require all that but that's what I went through. Then after I finished all the requirements I could schedule the surgery but it is usually 2-4 weeks out so they can submit the information to insurance and see if they will approve it since this is a voluntary surgery.

That was just my experience though, others may have had something different!

Here is a list of what is required by bcbs in my state (tn) not sure if it's the same or different in other states. But once most of those are completed you then get to meet ur surgeon and see the dietician. So 6 months with ur pcp and then however long after that if it takes you longer to do what else is on the list, seeing the therapist and getting records together. And at least a two week liquid diet right before surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

post-294159-14656530103826_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I have been going to a place called Medical Weight Loss since February (almost 4 months). It is not supervised by a doctor, though it is supervised by medical assistants and a nutritionist. Would that be taken into consideration? I'd rather not have to start over the 6 months.

I'm also worried that my insurance will want an opinion from Medical Weight Loss. I'm worried that they will say I don't need the surgery because they'll be worried that if I lose weight from the surgery, they'll lose a customer. The thing is, while their diet plan is a good one, I'm just not losing weight because I get so hungry. I need to have this surgery to help with the hunger. The cravings are something I can deal with. But the hunger pangs are unbearable. I never feel even slightly full on this diet. I get horrible headaches and I have panic attacks because my blood sugar gets low. They gave me Vitamins to help with the hunger and cravings, but they do not work for me.

Also, I know I have stomach problems. I was diagnosed with mild Gastritis. It's when the stomach lining becomes inflamed. I'm pretty sure it's from taking Excedrin, since Excedrin is the only medicine that helps my Migraines caused by Pseudotumor cerebri. Would that be a problem in surgery? In my opinion, I think it would be a good idea to cut away most of my stomach, since it is inflamed, lol. :P

I looked at the list you posted, Kyn13. Everything looks reasonable. The hardest thing for me to receive would probably be an "O.K." from my PCP. She's kinda wishy-washy, plus, I've only just started seeing her. I haven't had a PCP since I was 18 (after I stopped seeing my pediatrician). But I do have documented obesity with my gyno. Would that be enough?

I have been going to a place called Medical Weight Loss since February (almost 4 months). It is not supervised by a doctor, though it is supervised by medical assistants and a nutritionist. Would that be taken into consideration? I'd rather not have to start over the 6 months.

I'm also worried that my insurance will want an opinion from Medical Weight Loss. I'm worried that they will say I don't need the surgery because they'll be worried that if I lose weight from the surgery, they'll lose a customer. The thing is, while their diet plan is a good one, I'm just not losing weight because I get so hungry. I need to have this surgery to help with the hunger. The cravings are something I can deal with. But the hunger pangs are unbearable. I never feel even slightly full on this diet. I get horrible headaches and I have panic attacks because my blood sugar gets low. They gave me Vitamins to help with the hunger and cravings, but they do not work for me.

Also, I know I have stomach problems. I was diagnosed with mild Gastritis. It's when the stomach lining becomes inflamed. I'm pretty sure it's from taking Excedrin, since Excedrin is the only medicine that helps my Migraines caused by Pseudotumor cerebri. Would that be a problem in surgery? In my opinion, I think it would be a good idea to cut away most of my stomach, since it is inflamed, lol. :P

I looked at the list you posted, Kyn13. Everything looks reasonable. The hardest thing for me to receive would probably be an "O.K." from my PCP. She's kinda wishy-washy, plus, I've only just started seeing her. I haven't had a PCP since I was 18 (after I stopped seeing my pediatrician). But I do have documented obesity with my gyno. Would that be enough?

These are great questions but really the only place to get answers is your surgeon's office. They should be able to help you navigate the specific requirements based on your insurance policy and their own requirements.

Best of luck.

These are great questions but really the only place to get answers is your surgeon's office. They should be able to help you navigate the specific requirements based on your insurance policy and their own requirements.

Best of luck.

I found the list for Alabama BCBS. I'm worried, though, because I use the Federal plan of BCBS. I'm calling them today to double check. Apparently, many people have been trying to get covered by BCBS with a BMI under 40, and they were turned down. Mine is 45, so hopefully they will approve. I'm certain that 75% (or more) of my health problems are from my weight. I think the hardest part about this surgery for me would be preparation; getting approved and the liquid diet before the procedure.

The unknown is always so difficult. And I know how you feel. It can be a long process 4-6 months , but I think the Drs and insurance want to make sure you can stick with " the program "(my opinion). Take it one day at a time . Do you journal? I find I can write my fears down then leave them on the page

We didn't get this way quickly so it is not a quick process to drop the weight once you get the surgery. think positive and remove the doubt ......Easier said I know

I guess I just wanted to impart as a newly sleeved that there are so many steps and you should be present for each one , taking in what each step will teach you so you will be prepared for the long haul and living your life ( and enjoying your life ). Good luck and check back in after your appt

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not to discourage you, but when you mentioned your gastritis- if it is caused by h pylori, that could slow things down a bit. They discovered my gastritis (caused by h pylori) on my EGD. My surgeon required that be treated and eradicated before I could have surgery. It was two weeks of two medicines and acid reducer then wait three months to retest that it was gone before he would do surgery. Although some surgeons will do surgery and treat it after, mine won't.

I have a friend who is also doing WLS and she is a college professor. She has tried to work around her school schedule too. She is now aiming for this Christmas break. That might be a good time to focus on getting yours done- at the beginning of winter break.

Good luck to you, I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted

The unknown is always so difficult. And I know how you feel. It can be a long process 4-6 months , but I think the Drs and insurance want to make sure you can stick with " the program "(my opinion). Take it one day at a time . Do you journal? I find I can write my fears down then leave them on the page

We didn't get this way quickly so it is not a quick process to drop the weight once you get the surgery. think positive and remove the doubt ......Easier said I know

I guess I just wanted to impart as a newly sleeved that there are so many steps and you should be present for each one , taking in what each step will teach you so you will be prepared for the long haul and living your life ( and enjoying your life ). Good luck and check back in after your appt

Yes, the unknown is what bothers me the most. I'm so eager to get this done! I miss being able to fit into a size 3-5 in pants, lol! I'm almost 100% sure I'll be able to stick with this program. The cravings aren't mainly my problem; it's the hunger pangs. If I can get rid of the hunger, I'm sure this will be so easy. I don't snack ever, and I'm never in the mood to eat between 7am-2pm; but I eat because my stomach hurts if I don't. :(

You are right about being present for each step. I think I'm so eager because I've already been through the required steps when I tried losing weight by dieting. I feel as if I'm way past prepared mentally. Dieting failed because of hunger and boredom, not cravings. Thank you for your sweet response. <3

Not to discourage you, but when you mentioned your gastritis- if it is caused by h pylori, that could slow things down a bit. They discovered my gastritis (caused by h pylori) on my EGD. My surgeon required that be treated and eradicated before I could have surgery. It was two weeks of two medicines and acid reducer then wait three months to retest that it was gone before he would do surgery. Although some surgeons will do surgery and treat it after, mine won't.

I have a friend who is also doing WLS and she is a college professor. She has tried to work around her school schedule too. She is now aiming for this Christmas break. That might be a good time to focus on getting yours done- at the beginning of winter break.

Oh, you aren't discouraging me at all! I appreciate your honesty! I have actually been tested for h pylori, and the test was negative. They don't know exactly why I have gastritis. They thought it was from taking Excedrin for my Pseudotumor cerebri, but I recently found out my gallbladder was failing (only 12% function). I just had it removed several weeks ago. I'm guessing that's what caused it. It could also be stress, which is strange because I don't feel that stressed.

That sounds like a good idea - to wait until Christmas break. I guess I'm willing to wait about 6 months, but a year seems too long for me. I think it's because I'm naturally an eager person. Plus, I'm so ready to feel like myself again.

I will definitely keep you guys updated. Thanks for much for responding! <3

Edited by Hiraeth

Oh, you aren't discouraging me at all! I appreciate your honesty! I have actually been tested for h pylori, and the test was negative. They don't know exactly why I have gastritis. They thought it was from taking Excedrin for my Pseudotumor cerebri, but I recently found out my gallbladder was failing (only 12% function). I just had it removed several weeks ago. I'm guessing that's what caused it. It could also be stress, which is strange because I don't feel that stressed.

That sounds like a good idea - to wait until Christmas break. I guess I'm willing to wait about 6 months, but a year seems too long for me. I think it's because I'm naturally an eager person. Plus, I'm so ready to feel like myself again.

I have pseudotumor also. Lucky for you that excedrin helps your headaches. Nothing helps mine. Do you take other medicines for it? (I never hear of many others having it, so I'm interested) Hoping my doctor takes my medicine down another dose in two weeks for it. I'm ready to be off of it completely.

I have pseudotumor also. Lucky for you that excedrin helps your headaches. Nothing helps mine. Do you take other medicines for it? (I never hear of many others having it, so I'm interested) Hoping my doctor takes my medicine down another dose in two weeks for it. I'm ready to be off of it completely.

I was on Diamox, but I hate taking it because it gives me bad kidney stones. When it doesn't give me stones, it keeps me up at night because I have to use the bathroom every 2 hours. My pseudotumor went into remission when I lost 30 pounds 3 years ago. When I gained it back, my pseudotumor came back full force.

I'm so sorry Excedrin doesn't work for you. Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Letting my chiropractor adjust my neck helps. Bad posture can put a strain on the neck and cause pressure to increase.

@@Hiraeth I've been on diamox for 12 years now. I went off of it for a little and it came roaring back. But my doctor keeps reducing it which is nice. I never noticed having to go to the bathroom more. Maybe because ive been on it so long. Who knows. I wouldn't take it either if I got kidney stones.

@@Hiraeth I've been on diamox for 12 years now. I went off of it for a little and it came roaring back. But my doctor keeps reducing it which is nice. I never noticed having to go to the bathroom more. Maybe because ive been on it so long. Who knows. I wouldn't take it either if I got kidney stones.

Does that mean your Pseudotumor has improved since you lost weight?

I started Diamox when I was 21 (about 3 years ago). They found uric acid in my urine (caused by the Diamox), which is what causes the stones. I noticed your BMI is 22.7 and you're 5'11''. That means you're about 162 lbs right? That's awesome! I'd still be overweight at 162 because I'm a shorty, lol. :P

Edited by Hiraeth