Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band tax deductibility??

Has anyone been able to deduct the costs of their lap band surgery from their taxes? If so, how did you do it? I'll probably call my accountant but I wanted to see if there was any precedence I could use as an example.

Thanks and best to you all

As usual, the IRS is CRYSTAL clear in what can be deducted and what can't be....NOT! :faint:

It sounds like (and I am by no means an expert) that if the weight reduction program was for the treatment of diagnosed OBESITY and not just 10-20 pounds to "look good" then it's deductable.

I recommend asking your accountant anyway :D

Luckily I have one in my family or else I would be L O S T !!! :ranger:

That's nice to know dental is deductable. I spent $940.00 on my teeth in March!! (Plus about $1800.00 for the band so far)

I went to a tax seminar on just this thing. Yes, you can deduct it as a medical cost. I have never itemized and I will be doing so this year since I was a self pay. Since I am doing that I will incorporate ALL my out of pocket medical bills and the cost of surgery and probably come out smelling like rose come refund time. My brother does my taxes and he said some thing about it had to be more than 7% of your income in order to be worth itemizing. I definitely fit that!

Has anyone been able to deduct the costs of their lap band surgery from their taxes? If so, how did you do it? I'll probably call my accountant but I wanted to see if there was any precedence I could use as an example.

Thanks and best to you all

This is a great question one i never really thought about. My follow up question is if this is a deductable item on tax returns does that only apply to self pay individuals? I can understand why that might be the case if the answer is yes but has anyone heard of a non self pay Lab Band Patient deducting the out of pocket pre & post op cost on their tax returns ?

Actually I learned it can be deducted if you have related health problems. For instance, I have bad knees and doc said I have to lose weight before I can have them fixed. So on went the band and Lap Band Doctor wrote a letter for tax purpose to why the surgery was needed. I paid out of pocket and I plan on deducting the whole darn thing.

Actually I learned it can be deducted if you have related health problems. For instance, I have bad knees and doc said I have to lose weight before I can have them fixed. So on went the band and Lap Band Doctor wrote a letter for tax purpose to why the surgery was needed. I paid out of pocket and I plan on deducting the whole darn thing.

No, the reason is because Morbid Obesity is every bit a medical diagnosis as the the joint problem causing your bad knees.

If the correct diagnosis code is used then all expenses for WLS (in or out of the US) can be deducted.

I do taxes for a living, so lets see if I can make it easy. Yes, you can deduct the cost on your schedule A. Anything that you pay out of pocket (not anything that insurance pays for). The deduction has a 7.5% limit. So, if you make $50,000 per year, and lets say that you have total med. expenses of $10,000. 7.5% of $50,000 is $3750. Subtract $3750 from $10,000 leaves $6250 that you can deduct on your Schedule A. Now remember, the standard deduction for 2007 for Married filling joint was $10300. You have to beat that to be able to itemize. So for those of you who don't own a home you may not be able to use a Schedule A. Talk to your tax advisor and see if there is a possibility. If you are able to deduct the expenses, start keeping all receipts and keep track of your mileage. Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Mandy...

I've been looking for an answer to this question and I don't know where to look.

I do volunteer work in Nogales, Mexico (nothing to do with my surgery, my surgery was in Mexicali, Mexico), I do volunteer work for a trauma surgeon down there. Are my expenses tax ded. since it isn't a not for profit and in another country? Or can you tell me how I go about looking up this info?

Thx

The organization must be a qualified organization. To find out, they should be able to tell you or you can check in IRS Publication 78. Due to some income tax treaties, you may be able to deduct contributions to certain Mexican charitable organizations. But, generally you must have income generated from Mexico to be able to deduct. You can find more info in IRS Publication 526. You can view these online at Internal Revenue Service